Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 08:10 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pushchairs

Apologies to non-parents.

To all you new dads and mums,

Expecting in Feb - are 2 in 1 pushchairs (Ca. £350) worth it over the 3-wheelers? (Ca. £200?) To me they seem bigger, more cumbersome, etc - is this the case - apparently 'most' new parents end up buying 2 pushchairs - would rather not be one of them....

Thanks in advance
Old 23 November 2004, 08:12 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

just get a maclaren for £80. those three wheeler efforts look a bit gay imo.

Old 23 November 2004, 08:14 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but its gotta do the job from newborn until ready to walk, apparently the McClarens are no good for the new ones.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:14 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

The 3 wheelers are the pompious range rover of pushchairs
Old 23 November 2004, 08:16 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
The 3 wheelers are the pompious range rover of pushchairs
lol, agreed but they appear to do the same job, at half the price of of 'traditional' pushchairs
Old 23 November 2004, 08:52 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by De Warrenne
Thanks, but its gotta do the job from newborn until ready to walk, apparently the McClarens are no good for the new ones.
nah - the new maclarens can be laid down flat for little 'uns. we've used ours from day one - as long as the baby can lie flat then there's no problem. we still put it flat for her to sleep in when she has a kip during the day.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:55 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

also, it's nice and light for lugging about the place. try getting 6 month old baby and wife and luggage (think like what you would put in a large removal van ) and yourself from london to glasgow via manchester by train.

won't be doing that again in a hurry.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:58 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
also, it's nice and light for lugging about the place. try getting 6 month old baby and wife and luggage (think like what you would put in a large removal van ) and yourself from london to glasgow via manchester by train.

won't be doing that again in a hurry.
a major attraction I agree - a small digression, but in a funny sort of way, back on topic, I presume any of these will fit in a classic wagon?
Old 24 November 2004, 12:16 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I'd check if I were you... with all the other garbage you end up dragging about it needs to go in easily.

We have 2 prams .. a 'posh' 3 wheeler travel system thingy (weight - 15kg ) which is brilliant if you are out all day and the rugrat needs to be really comfy, and a lightweight maclaren if you need the mobility ( & for trains / planes etc )

Budget for a buggy snuggle too .. worth their weight in gold.....

HTH

Steve
Old 24 November 2004, 12:19 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Try looking at kiddicare.com (or .co.uk) as they seem good on prices, maybe / maybe n ot for a buggy but for other stuff. Still got a box of 32 feeding bottles as we doubled up in error!!!!
Old 24 November 2004, 09:51 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Try and get one with non marking/lethal wheels as I'm sick of get run over by the bloody things, usually controlled by two tarty, overweight, smoking, shell suit wearing, earring ridden, ponytailed, heavily made up, talking, not looking where they are going, ring encrusted, loud, walking beside each other on a narrow pavement,lowlife women.
Whew - rant over
Alas
Can you guess I'm not a parent
Old 24 November 2004, 09:55 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3 wheelers are usually heavier than their counterparts.

the only thing they are good for is "off roading". if you don't intend to get mud on the wheels then i wouldn't get a 3 wheeler.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:02 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=373628

(Brought to you by Brendan Hughes, the corporate memory of Scoobynet)
Old 24 November 2004, 10:03 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Some 3 wheelers are heavy, a nightmare to steer and seem to fold into something twice the size! Usually at the lower end of the market.

Like B2z we went for a 3in1 system, using the cot as the moses basket etc. Ours is the Mamas and Papas Pliko P3, very light and folds like a Mclaren. All the gear fits into the back of my wagon - except when I picked the whole lot up from the shop - the packaging is huge

We are very happy with ours - one niggle is its not as 'off road' as some.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:13 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

We have the Jane travel system, chose the pushchair with the Rebel Car Seat and Carrycot attachments. All fits together very easy, Sarah who is currently 6 weeks old basically lives in the carrycot, and if someone hadn't lent us a crib would probably sleep in it at night. It is remarkably easy to push, and large wheels assist in traversing steps etc. I do find that the Rebel car seat doesn;t sit easily on the rear seat of my Scoob, seats are a bit deep and sloped for it, and t goes a lot better in my wife Almera. The carrycot fits in both cars easily.

The downside is the size when folded. Whilst the whole assembly is very light for its size when folded it will only go in the boot of my Scoob (sallon) with one rear wheel removed. Rear wheel comes off easily though so its not a problem. In my scoob I have space for a couple of shopping bags behind the pushchair in the boot, and in my wifes Almera the pushchair goes in the boot with wheels attached but no space for any shopping!

We have been given a McLaren buggy which folds a lot smaller, but not tried it out yet!

My gues is it depends on what you are going to use it for and how much. I know some friends have found that the buggy type wears our with lots of use, needing new tyres!
Old 24 November 2004, 10:38 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

First of all congratulations!

There is a link in this thread that leads back to some of my questions and concerns.

Here are some of my findings...

Three wheelers:
The Maclaren 3 wheeler is as wide as their normal double buggy
Pneumatic tyres can go flat eaily (I've heard this from a number of parents, about various manufacturers)
They seem to be designed for parents who like jogging (at least that's what it looks like in the adverts)
They are quite heavy compared with standard pushchairs
They are not as nimble around town (or at least that's what I found in Mothercare, etc)

Standard 4-wheelers
Lighter that three-wheelers and combination systems
Fold up smaller and will fit most boots
More nimble around town (if they have moveable front wheels)
Locked front wheels are good for long walks, but you have to tilt the pushchair to make a turn

Combination pushchairs
Will take the car seat, but normally with the pushchair underneath
Some have a lie flat car seat (so prolonged journeys are ok)
Most have standard car seats (not good for baby's back if used for more than 2 hours at a time)
HEAVY and BULKY, and will not fit in the boot of a small car.

Conclusion

The options that will work for us, with our requirements:

Bearing in mind that I can get a discount with Mamas and Papas, as well as Maclaren

We were going to go for the M&P Pilko P3 with the Nevetta lieflat carseat (about £330):
Lighter than most combination options
Lie flat for longer car journeys (as well as doubling as a travel cot/Moses basket, if needed)
Nimble around town, but it's not the smallest when folded up, but certainly not the largest

When baby is a bit bigger, the option would be the Maclaren Classic XT:
The Classic was chosen over the Techno XT, because it comes with a foot muff (so that doesn't need to be bought extra) and the material near the baby's face is softer (alcantra type material) rather than nylon.
The Classic (with the foot muff off) weights about 200g more than the Techno.
Very light, with lockable front wheels (when needed), very nimble, packs up ver small

What we are getting now (thanks to my brother-in-law) is a Bebe (IIRC) combination pushchair, with a pram/lie flat car seat.

I will probably buy a Maclaren Classic XT when baby is a little bigger.

There are so many options out there, but a lot of parents (if not all) have recommended not to buy anything until you need it! So many things will bought and maybe get used once or twice, then never used again.

Your NCT group will have a nearly new sale every 6 months or so, where you can pick up these things for a lot less than brand new prices!!!

Basically, Good Luck!!!

There are more choices of pushchairs out there, than cars I want (which is pretty good going!!!)
Old 24 November 2004, 10:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
There are so many options out there, but a lot of parents (if not all) have recommended not to buy anything until you need it!
I don't want to put a downer on things, but having seen a couple of friends's children not make it into this world at the last minute, despite all efforts, that's a good advice.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:55 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Friends of mine were expecting twins, but six months into the pregancy, the boy died and the girl was born prematurely, then there were the agonising months in hospital.

Fortunanly, she is now healthy and well, and she will be three in February.

They had all the clothes, a double buggy, etc! It must have been heartbreaking to see all of that!

RIP Thomas
Old 24 November 2004, 11:03 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I don't want to put a downer on things, but having seen a couple of friends's children not make it into this world at the last minute, despite all efforts, that's a good advice.
We ordered our pushchair from a shop in Maidstone, and it was only picked up after our daughter was born. Had anything gone wrong with the birth then we would not have picked up the pushchair or indeed had to pay for it.

We are also using Mother Earth reusable nappies and although they were delivered in advance again they could have been returned for a full refund if it went wrong.

Many baby product suppliers will do the same as it can go wrong and indeed does go wrong. A good friend of mine lost their child when labour went wrong, just 2 weeks before our daughter was born.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:07 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

doesn't bear thinking about.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:14 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
doesn't bear thinking about.
True and fortunately rare these days
Old 24 November 2004, 12:21 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, most helpful.

Very sorry to hear some of the later posts - but thank you for posting them anyway, must keep eyes open.

Daniel
Old 24 November 2004, 01:40 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Best pushchair we could find was the Mamas & Papas Pilko P3 ( not a 3 wheeler ) folds up really small, light to carry, so you won't need another later, also purchased the carrycot that clips onto it, think it's called the Vicenza, came in a cool colour City Scape so you don't look a **** pushing it either, the carrycot also comes with a car fitting kit so the baby can lie flat (very important for a new born) you can also get a 0+ baby seat that clips to it as well but we didn't bother, when the babies out grown the carrycot it can go straight to a forward facing car seat.

Hope this helps, go and look at one their brilliant!

Mark

Last edited by RB5193; 24 November 2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 24 November 2004, 03:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5193
Dan,

Best pushchair we could find was the Mamas & Papas Pilko P3 ( not a 3 wheeler ) folds up really small, light to carry, so you won't need another later, also purchased the carrycot that clips onto it think it's called the Vicenza, came in a cool colour City Scape so you don't look a **** pushing it either, the carrycot also comes with a car fitting kit so the baby can lie flat (very important for a new born) you can also get a 0+ baby seat that clips to it as well but we didn't bother, we the babies out grown the carrycot it can go straight to a forward facing car seat.

Hope this helps, go and look at one their brilliant!

Mark
Exactly the same option we looked at, before the brother in law offered us their Bebe which does the same thing!