Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

missing posted letter - advice required ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 07:32 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing posted letter - advice required ??

Help !!! sent a friend over in the czech republic an envelope containing £28 cash in uk notes, cash was well concelled within paper inside the envelope.

well youve guessed the next bit already !!! sent on the 13 th november by air mail, nothing received his side up till yesterday ( mon 22nd ), he mentioned that there had been a couple off days holidays there side, with no postal service on those particulr two days, should a letter sent from the uk to there by air mail have deffinately been delivered by now ??

so okay, now the bad news, was advised on the day off posting this envelope by the post office that it would cost another £3.50 or so to send the envelope registered / insured but as the counter assistant also mentioned that air mail covers you up to £25 compensation, then thought will just go standard air mail given the fact it was only a few quid over this £25 level anyway.

did not mention to the counter assistant that there was cash contained within for obvious reasons !!!

got a certificate off posting receipt when I actually posted this letter, but have just read the small print and it advises "" 1st or 2 nd class post should not be used for sending money or valuable items- use special delivery ""

so does this mean I wont be covered for my cash that was contained within ?? if not, this up to £25 compensation on air mail postings thing that I was advised at the time , given the fact that if I claim it was cash sent, anyone advise me on just what it was that I posted that would cover this £25 I lost, seeing that it was not actually cash that was sent ??!!!!!!!!!

would £25 worth off postal orders be considered ??!!

so okay at the end off the day it could have been worse, but it is still £25 and in all honesty I cant understand how they would know there would have been cash inside ?? do they take post at random to check for cash ??

any help or advice would certainly be appreciatted, realise that it will be a while before the post office even consider a claim as I think they still waitt 28 ?? days before considering a letter or parcel lost, but would prefer to be ready with the answers for the claim form when I eventually come to fill it in !!!!!!!!!

cheers,
john
Old 23 November 2004, 07:36 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

You posted uninsured cash to an Eastern European country?

You are not covered, and really don't do it again. Just pay the extra money and insure it next time.

Steve.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:00 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Question £28 in NOTES ???

What was it - one £20 and one £8 Note

Unless you sent some old one pound notes you must have included some coins too - which might have given the game away to any fraudulent postal worker ??

Getting money out of Royal Mail is like getting blood out of a stone (They haven't got any) - put the loss down to experience .
Old 23 November 2004, 09:05 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

Unless you sent some old one pound notes you must have included some coins too - which might have given the game away to any fraudulent postal worker ??

Getting money out of Royal Mail is like getting blood out of a stone (They haven't got any) - put the loss down to experience .
Indeed. The first thing I thought when I read it
Old 23 November 2004, 10:11 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Sorry you will not be covered, I've seen this happen time and time again, surely a money gram would have been better.
Cheers
Colin
Old 23 November 2004, 10:53 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll just have to print off some more £8 notes and send it again then.
Old 23 November 2004, 11:57 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You just snip 20% off the end of a tenner, what's the problem?
Old 23 November 2004, 01:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

A twenty , a five and three old pound notes it was just that, believe it or not ?? up here in scotland they are still in daily circulation !! seemed a strange answer from you at first to be honest !!!!!!!

but okay, looking back on it, it was a stupid thing to do for the sake off an extra £3.50,what I cant understand is ?? is the postal service here and abroad that bad that a very large percentage off letters are being opened just on the assumption that they contain cash ??

seems strange thou, received a letter from a chap in the netherlands a few weeks back containing £80 in cash for an ebay item he was purchaing from me, ( his choice off payment !!! ) now okay that letter was sent the registered / insured signed for method, but if they can tell that there is money within envelopes then surely this £80 one would have been non delivered, or at least delivered minus its contents ??!!!

but yep its not the first time I have had to claim off the postal service and unfortunately dare I say it it, it probably wont be the last !!!!

and if its a case off making a fraudlant claim the so be it !! royal mail dont see to be overly concerned with internal theft / fraud so if you cant beat them join them as they say !!!!!!!!!!!

again was advised that air mail postage is covered with a compensation level off up to £25, hence the reason I sent it this way, and if I can think off a non cash item that is worth £25 then this will be what is put down on the claim form.

anyone any helpful comments to make on how to even things for the royal mail user then it would be appreciatted !!

cheers,
john
Old 23 November 2004, 01:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Great - I'd love to see the reaction of the Bureax de Change in the Czech Republic when faced with a Scottish pound note They're treated as Monopoly Money in Birmingham FFS!
Old 23 November 2004, 01:17 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Great - I'd love to see the reaction of the Bureax de Change in the Czech Republic when faced with a Scottish pound note They're treated as Monopoly Money in Birmingham FFS!
Well any "monopoly" money you find in birmingham, send it this way mate, will be gladly received !!!!!!!

wonder how you know it was a scottish pound note ?? did they not ever issue them south off the border ??!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 November 2004, 01:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

May be it's still in the post
Old 23 November 2004, 01:24 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still cannot understand why you didn;t send a cheque or do a direct transfer or paypal
Old 23 November 2004, 01:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
May be it's still in the post
Cheers mate the most encouraging answer so far !!!!!!!!!!!!

could well be ?? just received a post card thru the post the other day, it was originally sent from spain around 8 weeks ago !!!

suppose its still possible its escaping thru eastern europe past the noses off every fraudlant postal worker there as we speak !!!!!!
Old 23 November 2004, 01:25 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

would not surprise me if it was still in transit, our post at work turns up whenever it feels like - some days before 9am some days before 1pm, had days where nothing turned up at all....

going by the royal mail trying to save money, you may have to wait a bit longer.

the carrier pidgeon may be tired and taking a rest.
Old 23 November 2004, 01:38 PM
Top Tips
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Simply stick some stamps to your forehead, tuck a protruding tenner in your top pocket & pop yourself in the post to the Czech Republic. As soon as postieski makes a grab for your tenner, bosh him hard & get your missing £28's worth, oh & you get a cheap holiday.
Let me know how you get on.

TT

Last edited by Top Tips; 23 November 2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 01:50 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Well I've lived in Aberdeen for the best part of 15 years I can't remember seeing a £1 note for at least the last 5 years (probably 10).

Are you in Shetland .

If you can still get £1 notes best hold onto them until you go to Engerland - then go into a "corner shop" and buy something for less than £1 and pay with you scottish £1. 9/10 owners will give you £4.something in change .

After 7 Shops you'll have your money back.

Old 23 November 2004, 01:51 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

If he's in Shetland, it wouldn't be the Eastern European postal service I'd be blaming