Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rolex Watches

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2004, 11:47 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolex Watches

My brother-in-law is looking to buy a new Rolex.

He's undecided about the classic looking Datejust 116233 or the newer Datejust Turn-O-Graph 116261.
He actually wants my Daytona - but no chance.

So does anyone know where to get some decent prices in the UK. Mine came from Laing the Jewellers in Glasgow and we've been there, but maybe he could do better. We're both up and down the country on a regular basis, so location probably doesn't matter too much.

I've been told Yoza is the resident watch expert, so if you see this maybe you could PM me.

Cheers
David
Old 21 November 2004, 11:53 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Watchfinder.com is ok for prices..Why does he want a datejust?..Thats just a waste of £1250 if ya get a cheapie.....move away from the recognised names and get a good S/H bargain...ie..omega,IWC or Zenith..

U know it makes sense....oh yea...the Zenith Il Primero[which ya can get for £1200] has the same internals and movement as ya Daytona....BARGAIN.!!!!!!
Old 22 November 2004, 09:21 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

i don't think daytonas have zenith internals now.

when i bought my last explorer ii, i was looking at SS daytonas and the chap explained they used to be zenith internals, but not now. you can tell on the face apparently - is it something to do with the left and right internal dials?

it does make sense not to be ripped off of course, but it still sounds funny seeing 'looking for discount' and 'buying a rolex' in the same sentence. made me chuckle.
Old 22 November 2004, 11:50 AM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Fosters, the only place we tried was Laing The Jewellers, and I felt their prices were quite high. For example their Daytona is nearly £1500 more than I paid 2 years ago, and more expensive than Harrods just now.
I never mentioned 'looking for a discount'. I said 'maybe we could do better'. I think we can.

Sorry, I've never heard of a Zenith, so £1200 is a lot for a watch that could just as easily be sold for £50 from Samuels or "Ratners" !!!!!!!!
Probably more than half the value of a Rolex is for the name, I know that, but they never really drop in value anyway.

It's a watch he's always wanted, he's got a huge Xmas bonus coming. Enough for a Christmas & New Year Cruise, plus the watch.
So why not.

David
Old 22 November 2004, 02:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I shouldn't think you'll find many places with brand new Rolex's cheaper than the RRP. I was tempted to go down the online watch *retailer* path, but in the end I just called up and ordered one from Goldsmiths. Picked it up 2 months ago (GMT Master 2 blue and red bezel)

Have a full size yachtmaster (gold bezel) bi metal strap on order for next year when they are apparently released.

At the time of my first watch purchase they had a 0% interest scheme running with a 10% deposit.
Old 22 November 2004, 02:47 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Don't discount Zenith, they're an excellent make and produce some lovely watches.

Rolex are good, but far from the 'best' IMO. I'd say you're paying 80% for the name on most of their watches. Having said that, my most prized possession is a Rolex that my dad gave me, and I also have a deposit down on a Daytona (only another 3-4 years to wait ).

It's horses for courses, but I'd advise you to have a look at a few other brands as well, and not simply concentrate on Rolex.
Old 22 November 2004, 02:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I have always wanted a Rolex. Yes of course most of it is to do with the name. At the end of the day a Casio £0.99 watch does the job just as well, but it's not the most desirable bit of plastic around
Old 22 November 2004, 02:55 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Rolex Yacht Master (Full Size) 'Y' Model
Which i will be looking to sell soon

If its any good PM me
Old 22 November 2004, 07:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Get one from an authorised dealer and you cant go wrong.
Old 22 November 2004, 07:48 PM
yoza
BANNED

http://www.alexandersjewellers.co.uk/alexwatches.php

Take advantage on their upgrade offer, and keep the ball rolling.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:36 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I have a rolex submariner with blue face and bezel at the mo..had 4 other rolex's too..like has been said..paying a lot for the name nowadays..IWC is the way to go...
IMHO...