Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cancer question (Lung)

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 11:01 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cancer question (Lung)

Just chasing some simple answers to some quite general questions.
I know it's hard to answer without all the details but try and stay with me
*If you were told (not me BTW) that you had cancerous growth in your lung, would that be classed as Lung Cancer? (do ya see what i mean?)
*How would a Biopsy(sp?) be done on the above? Is it a five minute job or more of an operation?
*Is lung Cancer/growth in the lung generally classed as terminal, or is it quite treatable (new word? )
*What sort of treatment are we talking about?

I know this is all very vague but give it a go
Old 17 November 2004, 11:13 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My Dad was diagnosed as having lung cancer and six weeks later he was dead...

Hence why I don't smoke anymore. Usually once it is diagnosed it is too late. He was fobbed off by his GP that he had pulled some muscles in his back or had slipped a disc, when really he had some tumours growing against his spine. Fecking Doctors make to many mistakes, only problem is they burry their mistakes...
Old 17 November 2004, 11:23 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much more info required.

What is the stage of the cancer? Age of patient? Size of growth? Any history of lung cancer in the family? Further tests will be carried out to check if it's lung cancer or whether the growth is a secondary cancer from somewhere else. I can't answer about a biopsy, but the doctor could answer in 10 seconds.

The patient needs to take a very good friend or family member each time they visit the doctor. The friend should take notes & ask questions as the patient is often very shocked & unable to think straight. Investigate the options that the doctor gives on the various Internet cancer support groups. Try here as a first step:
http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/Home
http://www.lungcanceronline.org/
http://www.lungcancer.org/
http://www.roycastle.org/

Good luck.
Old 17 November 2004, 11:30 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Sorry to hear that blueone
Someone i know has just announced this Cancer thing tonight. I am very sceptical about the truth behind it (Don't ask! ). I don't want to ask 101 questions incase it is true.
So - i don't know what stage of cancer it is or size of growth. The person in question is 37. The Mother of this person actually died of Cancer but i don't know of what variety.
Cheers for the links Nick
Old 18 November 2004, 12:54 AM
VrsJane
Scooby Regular

I think a biopsy could be done as a simple procedure at the hospital, it's carried out under sedation so the patient would need to stay there for a couple of hours and be accompanied (unable to drive afterwards). Depending on whereabouts in the lung the suspected tumour is then surgery could be necessary to get a sample.

Regrettably, survival rates for lung cancer are very poor.

Disclaimer. I am not a doctor, above knowledge gleaned from working in the NHS and recently observing a bronchoscopy (the procedure where lung biopsies can be taken)

HTH
Old 18 November 2004, 07:26 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Would a doctor ever tell you that you've a Cancerous growth without taking a Biopsy? Wouldn't it just be a "growth"
Is a growth described as Cancerous only ever Malignent or could it be Benine - correct terms?
Old 18 November 2004, 08:47 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Just chasing some simple answers to some quite general questions.
I know it's hard to answer without all the details but try and stay with me
*If you were told (not me BTW) that you had cancerous growth in your lung, would that be classed as Lung Cancer? (do ya see what i mean?)
*How would a Biopsy(sp?) be done on the above? Is it a five minute job or more of an operation?
*Is lung Cancer/growth in the lung generally classed as terminal, or is it quite treatable (new word? )
*What sort of treatment are we talking about?

I know this is all very vague but give it a go

- A cancerous growth in the lung is lung cancer

- Biopsy would usually be done via a bronchoscopy. Camera pushed down nose into lung. Usually takes about 15 minutes, but done under sedation so likely to be at hospital for a few hours

- There are 2 main groups of lung cancers - small cell, and non-small cell ( imaginative names).
- Small cell - almosts everyone dies.
- Non small cell - if it hasn't spread at diagnosis 50% survival ( but usually need a lung removing) if it has spread then 10% survival

These numbers are fairly general, and obviously the docs treating an individual will have a lot more information about him/her, and so should be able to provide better guesses at prognosis etc.
Old 18 November 2004, 12:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Crikey. So you're pretty much screwed then. 50% is very short odds.
If treatment is not sucessfull, how long can you be expected to live. Are we talking weeks/months or years? I know thats very tough without details. I'll try and find more out tonight.
Old 18 November 2004, 12:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

a neighbour of mine had lc

managed 5 years before shuffling off..

depends what type and its aggresiveness..

M
Old 18 November 2004, 12:58 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Crikey. So you're pretty much screwed then. 50% is very short odds.
If treatment is not sucessfull, how long can you be expected to live. Are we talking weeks/months or years? I know thats very tough without details. I'll try and find more out tonight.
brun firstly find out what type of lung cancer it is and what stage they are at.

as said before timing vary, look at Jane Tomlinson for inspiration and longevity, however a neighbour of mine had a cough and felt unwell on week 1 3 weeks later they died, unfortunately lung cancer is particularly nasty and can travel throughout the body easily.

Paul
Old 18 November 2004, 12:59 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told I had something wrong, and it needed to be investigated

just before the op, I was told by the doc, that if it was a tumour it would be removed
, i asked what are the chances of it being malignant

the arrogant ******, told me oh every chance, prolly 90% chance of it being so

Not one mention of the word Cancer, in fact only the Radiologist said the word Cancer, prior to that it was always referred to as a tumour/lump or growth

Mine wasnt in my Lung, it was elsewhere, and then came back in a different place 2 years later, where I went through the whole procedure again

Again the word Cancer was never used, I did ask why, and was told, it instills fear into patients & families

It never really hit home with me until one of the kids asked 'Do you have Cancer?'

Have to say tho, I have been alll clear now for quite a number of years

Steve
Old 18 November 2004, 01:20 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

great news steve inspiration to everyone
Old 07 December 2004, 09:33 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Ok - now here is the twist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The person in question now claims that he has been given the Cancer all clear, however has now claimed that he has been diagnosed with Emphysema. Are the symtoms of lung cancer and Emphysema close?
It just seems to me that no doctor worth their crust would state that someone has a Cancerous growth if their was a possability that it wasn't. It doesn't add up to me!!!
Old 07 December 2004, 09:55 PM
Loost
Scooby Regular

well good luck to him anyway,dont know bout the emphysema. My step-dad had a scan a couple of weeks ago (anti-biotics not cured the broncitis) and he has a large tumor in one lung,but no other symptoms/complaints - but a life time smoker. They have taken a 'sample'- tube thro to the bronchus by way o the nose - and that bit had nothing cancerous about it...So there going to do it again...just hopin the rest of it is the same................
Old 07 December 2004, 09:57 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Fingers crossed for him m8
Old 08 December 2004, 05:31 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

My godmother has recently been diagnosed with Lung cancer. It is due to her smoking, (in her own words "I'm a professional smoker") but the lung cancer will not kill her. Like many cases it is the secondary cancer that spreads from the first cancer that will kill the patient. She has been given 3 to 4 months to live because the cancer has spread to her brain. They have found 6 different masses. No cure. She has only asked to survive to see her sons wedding in January, so has started a course of steroids, followed by radiotherapy. This is only to get her to the wedding, and then all medicines will stop, as she does not want to be a lost cause on the NHS.

Saw her for the first time on Monday since being diagnosed and was shocked by how quickly she is deteriorating. Just hope she makes it to her sons wedding.
Old 08 December 2004, 08:37 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Good grief
Old 08 December 2004, 09:46 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Brun, am I correct in thinking that you suspect someone has been making up some story that they actually have Cancer?
Old 08 December 2004, 12:06 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Correct, however the goalposts have moved as described above
Old 08 December 2004, 05:58 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Old 08 December 2004, 06:12 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Are the symtoms of lung cancer and Emphysema close?
They can be. Lung Cancer can be present with almost no symptoms, but there can also be persitent coughs, shortness of breath, etc., which are similar symptoms to Emphysema.

It just seems to me that no doctor worth their crust would state that someone has a Cancerous growth if their was a possability that it wasn't. It doesn't add up to me!!!
Totally agree. I can imagine the doctor saying that they want to run some tests to eliminate the possibility of it being cancer, but I can't see them saying, "Looks like you've got cancer, so we'll take a biopsy to prove it."
Old 08 December 2004, 08:46 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

See what your saying
I'll have to do some more fishing