Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wakeboard boat.

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2004, 04:03 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wakeboard boat.

I'm looking to buy a boat for wakeboarding, skiing, inflatables and general fun.

Having had jetski's for a couple of years I fancy getting into this.

The boat i've looked at is a 1990 Mastercraft Maristar 240sc.

Its a 330hp, good nick with covers, trailer etc. It also has a small cuddy cabin and bog which will be useful as I will keep it in a marina and could have overnights in it.

Would the 9k mark sound about right for this sort of boat. At this sort of budget is this the right thing to go for?

Skip.
Old 04 November 2004, 06:12 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

The £9000 would become irrelevant if the engine gives up the ghost. Check the number of hours (Outboards are good for abt 700hrs before total rebuild or replacement) and the service record. A new engine of that power would cost atleast £12000, but probably more.

Check the hull carefully for Osmosis too - the hull can be ruined by it.

Old boats can be alot of trouble.
Old 04 November 2004, 06:17 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

oh and a good strong pair of oars cos to pull a wakeboard you really have to row hard and quite quick too......

Old 04 November 2004, 08:16 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

maristar is a fine wakeboarding boat at one time top of the mc fleet now the x`s are the in thing

its a v drive which means the engine is in the back as opposed to a direct drive were the engine is in the middle

also steered by a rudder just behind the prop which is far enough under the boat to allow the engine to idle when picking up boarders
mc call it a deep v hull but its not a real deep v as in sea going sports boats like bayliners and glastrons and is far happier on a lake than on the sea saying that its much better on the sea than the flatter hull prostar.
these are quite sort after boats and if its in good condition thats not a bad price
you will need a wakeboard pole or a monkey bar for wakeboading as the ski pole is quite low
if you are going to use more in the sea i would say have a look at some sea going boats before you buy
and the cool thing is they dont go down in price i bought a bayliner 2050 for 7k used it and kept it in good order the sold it 2 years later for 9k.

oh and by the way its 250 bhp not 330 but dont let that put you off thats plenty to pull 3 boarders

with the rise of wakeboaring prices for servicing and parts have come down
i get my boat serviced and winterised for 160 quid.

hope this helps

waky on a 1850 bayliner.
Old 05 November 2004, 09:52 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

skippy where will you be doing your wakeboading?
Old 08 November 2004, 10:31 AM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll be berthing the boat in a marina on the Tyne, use the river and if conditions allow out to onto the sea.

The boat has the central engine, I think the newer Maristars were at the back. I know I can buy a wakeboard extension tower for about £300 but to be honest I think it maybe ok as is for the mo as i'll be learning.

It has the Cheverlot motor, i'll check the spec.

I'll write a bit more and post some pic's later I hope.

Graeme.
Old 08 November 2004, 12:36 PM
Diggly
Scooby Newbie

Seems like a reasonable price.

Looking on www.mastercraft.co.uk the cheapest pre-owned boat they have is a 1998 ProStar 190 for £11k. Might be worth having a chat with a guy called Simon there, he's a really helpful chap and might give some advice or even know the boat.

Parts can be quite cheap, we bodged our boat many times with stuff from a motor spares shop when it packed up. Seem to remember engines were either Ford or Chevvy so you can normally find a part (and cheaper than the official spare!).

Would recommend a wakeboarding pole. We were without one for a couple of years and then never looked back.

Oh and can recommend towing it over to Loch Lomand - well worth it !
Old 08 November 2004, 12:52 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Been watching the website, the 11k is a 1988, just your typo i guess.

There is a Maristar 210sc 1992 @ 15k when i spoke to them I get a lot of info.

I intend to get over to the Loch's, just need somit that will tow it, i've got a estimated weight of 2.5 to 3 ton, that seem right?
Old 08 November 2004, 01:42 PM
Diggly
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippy
Been watching the website, the 11k is a 1988, just your typo i guess.

There is a Maristar 210sc 1992 @ 15k when i spoke to them I get a lot of info.

I intend to get over to the Loch's, just need somit that will tow it, i've got a estimated weight of 2.5 to 3 ton, that seem right?
Yeah typo, should have been 1988 !

Seems a little high on the weight but not sure. The brochure I've got here has the Maristars weighing in between 1300kg and 1500kg with about another 700kg for a trailer (is that just over two tonnes ?)

I towed the ProStar using amongst other things a Peugeot 306Xsi (2 litre jobby). Was just about inside the limits as it had a braking trailer. Performed ok apart from up-hill and I didn't care cause it was a company car !!!!!

Last edited by Diggly; 08 November 2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08 November 2004, 04:45 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mind pulling the guts out of my company car, but its rated at 1500, I don't think i'm close enough to convince Mr Plod either.

What you guys recon on fuel per hour for skiing and wakeboarding, i'm expecting it to be heavy, but been told not as bad as you'd think.

Cheers.
Old 09 November 2004, 11:09 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but i've got a 26 foot cruiser at loch lomond (not exactly slow right enough!) and was looking to get into wakeboarding, do you think a cruiser this size is capable of doing this? My friends got a seadoo jet boat which is ideal for the job (if not a bit pricey!) but he's not up that often

ps if any of you guys go up to loch lomond PM me and you can come along and meet up with me, can give you access to the slip if you need it, we have a right good laugh on the loch and islands in the summer!!