Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into Wakeboarding?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 03:04 PM
PaulWalker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Joined the West Mids Watersport Centre nr Tamworth just for the social side of things (beer) But after watching the skiers and wakeboarders i really fancy having a go.

Anybody on here had a go at wakeboarding, is it difficult or any advise to be given would be appreciated. The ski boats are so cool, i`m really temted to buy one

Paul
Old 16 June 2003, 03:08 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I normally stick to waterskiing, but done some wakeboarding. Its fairly easy to get up on and get to a basic standard. Prepare to have a lot of water up your nose if you decide to go for a few flips though!
Old 16 June 2003, 03:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yeah I do it behind my jetski... plenty enough power but the wake isn't good enough for any serious air - which one reason why we're buying a ski boat in the near future
Old 16 June 2003, 03:29 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Regarding getting up - you might get up the first try, or you might get up after trying all day... but once you've got up once you'll be able to do it 95% of the time!
Old 16 June 2003, 03:35 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

not wishing to hijack the thread, likewise, is it worth getting in to water skiing?

we have a speedboat (sounds flasher than it is - a Dateline Bikini with a 90bhp Mariner engine - set up with ski pole etc and used before, we launch on Loch Lomond)

just wondering whether to go to the expense of wetsuit, skis and impact jacket or not

Gordo
Old 16 June 2003, 04:05 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Why not try taking a few lessons first? You'll be able to borrow all the gear. Alternatively, you'll be able to pick up some second-hand stuff for a snip I should think
Old 16 June 2003, 05:07 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its definetely worth joining a club before forking out for some kit - same with any sport I suppose. The main cost will be club membership. Some charge a high joining fee and charge a couple of quid per tow. Others charge hardly anything to join but a tenner or so per tow. It all depends on how often you are going to go.

Other than that you will need a board (£200+), bindings (£150ish), wetsuit (£100ish for a half decent one).

Simon.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:31 AM
PaulWalker
Scooby Regular

Cheers

The club that i have joined, which as i said before was really just for the excellent social side do lessons at £60 per hr, guess i`ll book up and have a go then, if you live in the midland are have a look here

http://www.wmwaterski.com

Its well worth popping down on a sunny afternoon for a beer on the deck

Paul