Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

!! Information about accident in Binfield 2 weeks ago !!

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2004, 08:20 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation !! Information about accident in Binfield 2 weeks ago !!

Hello

On Tuesday 12th October my step-mother was involved in a serious accident on Church Road in Binfield, Berkshire. For those of you that know the area, its the road from the Stag and Hounds pub out to the church.

My stepmum had just pulled out of her drive in a Land Rover Discovery and gone 200 yards up the road where just after a turning on the right, she swerved and left the road, going into the ditch on the RHS of the road, flipping the car onto its side, and across the road, upside down into the other ditch. The police beleive she was thrown from the car out of the back window.

She ruptured her liver and received severe facial injuries, everything from broken jaw, nose, shattered cheekbones and eyesockets, and a fractured skull, not to mention damaging her left eye.

The first witness on the scene said she was laying on the road with her head on a folded up sweatshirt, with a thin blanket over her.

As there is no evidence of another car being involved, the police dont seem that interested. But theres a few things that dont add up.

1. The sweatshirt and blanket. Knowing the extent of her injuries, and most probably how they were caused, i think its highly improbably that she put the sweatshirt under her own head and a blanket over herself. The first witness is a neighbour of my parents so its unlikely he is fabricating this, plus its in his statement.

2. 3 ambulances arrived at the same time. The first witness called the police, but for one car and one casualty it seems a bit excessive to need 3 ambulances. Could more than one call have come in for the accident ?

If you know of any information or have overheard anyone talking about this accident, please please please PM me and let me know. My stepmum has been in intensive care at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford ever since the accident and is still terribly ill. If someone has caused this accident and buggered off then we really would like justice to be done.

Many thanks

Dave
Old 27 October 2004, 08:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I hope your step-mother recovers soon

Surely the Police should be able to ascertain how many calls were made and from where? Have you asked them to check? With enough pressure, the police will be forced to investigate further.
Old 27 October 2004, 08:28 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

My Dad has been dealing with a less then helpful local PC. The way this has been handled is a joke.

Dave
Old 27 October 2004, 08:32 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

so sorry to hear your sad news.
Its must be so frustrating for you.
Such a worrying time for your family I hope she is better very soon.
Maybe when she has recovered she will be able to put some of the mystery together.
I really hope things work out for the best.
Best wishes to you and your family
cath
Old 28 October 2004, 08:15 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that.

All 999 calls are logged - so if there was more than one call made for an ambulance, it will be easy to find out. Also, the control centre knows who's made the call unless call barring is operating.

Even a local dipstic pc should be able to find out

Hope she pulls through.

D
Old 28 October 2004, 08:22 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Thats a shame - sorry to hear that.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:28 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

They don't send an ambulance for each phone call made so just because 3 turned up doesnt mean 3 people called. Hope she is ok, these doctors are pretty amazing at fixing people up these days.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:54 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Dave, I hope she makes a ful recovery. Isn't an ambulance automatically called if a call is made to the Police about an RTA, or is it the other way round?
Old 28 October 2004, 09:21 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for a full recovery, heres hoping she will remember what happened.

J.
Old 28 October 2004, 09:29 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of this Dave.

When an injury RTC is reported an ambulance is automatically called by the police call handler/despatcher (and vice versa). ALL calls are logged both by the BT operator who takes the initial 9's and by the destination service. It doesn't matter if the caller with-holds their number, it still comes up on the monitor in the control room.

I would have thought that rather than dealing with local officers you would be better off with an FLO or speaking to someone from traffic/AI.

Hope she pulls through.......Doctors are pretty amazing these days.
Old 28 October 2004, 10:03 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hearthis drud, I have a few contacts in Bracknell,I'll keep my ear to the ground for you.
Heres hoping for a full recovery
astraboy.
Old 28 October 2004, 12:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Spoke to me Dad and he is having a nightmare with Taplow police.

The sweatshirt and blanket were not put back in the car as i searched it the day after to get all my stepmums belongings, and they were not in the stuff A&E gave to my Dad and no one knows where they are. I assume they must have gone in the ambulance or somewhere.

The police officer told my Dad that the ambulance was there first and called the police, but it would take about 3 weeks to get the details from the control room to find out exactly who called what. He also goes on holiday tomorrow so was going to put it on hold until my Dad asked to speak to his superior.

Can anyone (TDT ?) confirm that it takes this long to get the info ?

Dave
Old 28 October 2004, 01:13 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Question

3 weeks? Eh??

It takes about 5 seconds to view an incident and see what time it was created. Police logs are basically a timed audit trail telling you exactly who did what and when. They all have a URN and can be recalled at any time by anyone who has a login for the Command & Control system.

I can't see where he's got 3 weeks from.

I would imagine due to the injuries you describe there is an officer from the Roads Policing Unit dealing with it. Try and get hold of him/her. Failing that, get hold of the duty Inspector that covers that area (is Taplow near Reading?).
Old 28 October 2004, 01:17 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Dave, sorry to hear about this, and there was an accident along that same piece of road a week or so back where somebody had left the road and hit a tree.

Hope your step-mother recovers soon mate.
Old 28 October 2004, 01:19 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TDT
is Taplow near Reading?.
Taplow is near to Maidenhead. The Traffic Policing Unit based out of there cover the Bracknell neck of the woods, whilst the Three Mile Cross based unit cover Reading and west from there.
Old 24 November 2004, 07:10 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Latest update - stepmum is now home from hospital and recovering well. She has more facial surgery ahead of her in the next 6-9 months but it will be a long road to recovery.

The owner of the house that is next to where it happened said that he heard it happen and was going to go out but there was already a car there so didnt want to get in the way. Nobody saw this car or knows anything about it.

The police are not interested.

Dave
Old 24 November 2004, 07:19 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

To state the obvious thank goodness stepmum is on the (long) road to recovery. You might not have had her around at Christmas.

Looks like you will never get to the bottom of what happened. Think of it this way - even if you did it would make no difference now to stepmum's recovery. Looks like someone did stop albeit briefly so may be that was slightly better than nothing. DL
Old 24 November 2004, 08:20 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Of course someone could've just SEEN the accident. STOPPED to HELP and then left once they knew she was okay.

Nice people do exist you know.
Old 21 February 2005, 02:10 PM
TorBran
Scooby Newbie

Just been reading through a few older posts and came across this one.

Has your mum recovered? did you get any joy from the police?
Old 21 February 2005, 02:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Of course someone could've just SEEN the accident. STOPPED to HELP and then left once they knew she was okay.

Nice people do exist you know.
Shame they hadn't done any first aid - you don't leave a "patient" once you start to administer assitance. A "nice person" would have stayed until medical assitance arrived, a worried and guilty person would probably do a runner.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:33 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Well, my stepmum is a hell of a lot better but still undergoing surgery and frequent hospital visits.

She has had some more facial surgery 3 weeks ago as she has been uable to close one of her eyes since the accident. The surgeons took skin grafts and rebuilt her eyelid so now it is alot more comfortable. She still is off work, but is building herself up with exercise every day. The liver is back to normal strength now.

She has one more big facial op in about 9 months to look forward to. We think she looks amazing compared with how she looked the night it happened.

Its amazing that she is alive, and we are all so glad she has pulled through.

Nothing more from the ever unhelpful Police, and my Dad had run out of energy chasing them.

Thanks for asking anyway.

Dave