Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mp calls for slavery rememberance day

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2004, 02:46 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mp calls for slavery rememberance day

An mp miss Ellman(Labour,Liverpool) has called for August 23 to become national slavery day.Allready 118 mps have given her their backing to discuss this matter in westminster.

Ms Ellman called for the government to acknowledge Britains roll in this trade- crime against humanity, to set up a day of rememberance for the millions of displaced and enslaved africans before slaverys abolition 1807.Unesco has endorced her idea.

----------------------------------
I'm stunned

It's against my human rights and I feel discriminated against as a white person ..

Still in shock............
Old 27 October 2004, 03:47 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Oh no. Not another card for Clintons to sell.

Last edited by Jay m A; 27 October 2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 27 October 2004, 03:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Oh no. Not another card for Clintons to sell.

pmsl

"Sorry I ensalved and opressed your ancestors"
Old 27 October 2004, 04:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 27 October 2004, 04:06 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Oooh, do I get a slave for the day? Can she be brunette, 5ft5 nice tit's and dressed in Stockings and Basque please?

And ROTF at Clintons. There is soooooo much milage there!
Old 27 October 2004, 04:10 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I'm all for it if they make it a public holiday
Old 27 October 2004, 04:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Dracoro

can we have another day for the crusades while we're at it?
Old 27 October 2004, 04:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hang on, we get at least 4 days off a year thanks to some religous bloke that didn't exist, so how you expect a holiday for an event that actually happened I'll never know
Old 27 October 2004, 04:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I will apologise for slavery when France publically thanks us for the war, the Japanese publically apologise for the war and Tony Blair apologises for... the war!
Old 27 October 2004, 05:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, is there a national holocaust day in Germany?
Old 27 October 2004, 05:25 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I hope that the MPs that so keen on the idea do a bit of research and realise that slavery was not simply a clear cut "Black and White" (sorry) issue. More information here.
Old 27 October 2004, 06:07 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Quite an interesting read. I was always left to believe that it was the White guys that were the bad guys on their own.

And what the **** do the Google ads, Tracker systems and BBS stuff have to do with this topic????
Old 27 October 2004, 06:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ajm
I will apologise for slavery when France publically thanks us for the war, the Japanese publically apologise for the war and Tony Blair apologises for... the war!
IIRC, the French have certainly thanked us, twice, and all war cemeteries were ceded to the war graves commision "in perpetuity". Don't forget that they lost more men, more civilians and more infrastructure too, as we fought both wars on their territory.

Haven't the Japs apologised too, except for Hirohito, who never did? The Germans certainly have.

If we're into "slavery" cards, almost every fekker who works for a living in this country would be eligible for one: the work ethos for most folk in the UK is "we'll pay you a crap hourly wage but you can work every hour God sends to get a decent take-home, and thanks for the profits!"

Alcazar
Old 27 October 2004, 06:59 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

I bet this MP is 'of african origin'

For the record WE DID NOT invent slavery, it has been going on since before Egyptian times, throughout history conquering nations have taken the poulations of newly acquired territories into enslavement.

AND, historically the worst people for capturing and dealing in slaves have been BLACK AFRICANS I bet THAT point isn't mentioned in this fcukwitted bint's time wasting bill

Originally Posted by alcazar
Don't forget that they lost more men, more civilians and more infrastructure too, as we fought both wars on their territory
Technically that isn't so, most of the Great War was fought on Belgian soil, as most wars have been since the middle ages (even though the Belgians usually have had no involvement in the original dispute). According to Sir Humphrey Appleby, this was because: a) there is nothing there of any significance, and b) it is a convenient meeting spot for all warring european countries.
Old 27 October 2004, 07:02 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I bet this MP is 'of african origin'

For the record WE DID NOT invent slavery, it has been going on since before Egyptian times, throughout history conquering nations have taken the poulations of newly acquired territories into enslavement.

AND, historically the worst people for capturing and dealing in slaves have been BLACK AFRICANS I bet THAT point isn't mentioned in this fcukwitted bint's time wasting bill

FPMSL

..that made me laugh

Old 27 October 2004, 07:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
IIRC, the French have certainly thanked us, twice, and all war cemeteries were ceded to the war graves commision "in perpetuity". Don't forget that they lost more men, more civilians and more infrastructure too, as we fought both wars on their territory.

Haven't the Japs apologised too, except for Hirohito, who never did? The Germans certainly have.
Just Tony to go then!
Old 27 October 2004, 07:26 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

She is actually Jewish.

A couple of years back, BBC2 showed a programme about advances in DNA profiling meaning that it was now possible to trace likely areas where someone's ancestors were from. They thought this would be of interest to Afro-Carribbean Britons who only knew of their West Indian roots and not whereabouts in Africa their forefathers came from.

The two examples that I remember were a woman from Bristol whose likely ancestry they traced to a single village. They took her to this village and her physical resemblance to the women of this village was striking. Villagers were coming up to her and spontaneously calling her "their lost sister". This woman is now contributing to a village girl's education to give her chances in life that (1) this woman descended from slaves has had herself, and (2) this girl would not have if she remains in the village. A good ending.

The other example was a London teenager who claimed not to feel very British/European and to feel strongly African (like his bruvvas). He also had his naive views on slavery.

His DNA showed him to be pretty much German fairly recently on his father's side (ties in with European slave owners raping the women). However, on his mother's side her likely aree of origin was pretty definite to they took him to meet his tribe. The village elder chatted with him and after a few days staying in the village he was invited to join the tribe. He went through the initiation ceremony and had to take a tribal name.

He was then taken to the next village to meet the tribal chief. The chief then explained to him that the tribal ancestor with the name he had chosen was the biggest slave trader in Central Africa! He explained that slavery was not a case of the white man coming and capturing the black man. It was generally the tribal chiefs who rounded up the people that they wanted to sell and then selling these to the slave traders. So, Mr. "I don't feel European" with his views on the slave trade, turns out to be the half German descendant of one of the worst African slave traders. Brilliant!

I think most people would agree that slavery isn't the most impressive part of any nation's history, but I can't help feeling that a Slavery Remebrance Day would degenerate into "All you evil whiteys are responsible for enslaving all of us innocent blacks" and that the true history might get forgotten and/or distorted.
Old 27 October 2004, 08:17 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Oh.... slavery's all right then, seeing as we didn't start it.
Old 27 October 2004, 08:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Oh.... slavery's all right then, seeing as we didn't start it.
Quiet you, go and make me a sandwich
Old 27 October 2004, 08:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

<<shuffle>> Yus massa <<shuffle>>