Conned by phone company 3.......

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2004, 07:31 PM
seven x
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Conned by phone company 3.......

Ok (stick with me on this!)

Girlfriend (who is with O2 and nearing the end of he contract) rec'vs a call from someone claiming to be her 'Mobile phone company' and tell her that as her contact is running out they will send her a brand new video phone with a better contract than she already has. She agrees to as she was thinking of upgrading anyway, they ask her to confirm her direct debit details - she does and thinks nothing of it. She then asks the guy what to do with her present phone and he says 'keep it/sell it its yours' - at no point does they guy say he is from 3.

Three days later the phone arrives - to her suprise its not a new o2 phone as expected but a '3' phone with a completly new contract, obviously she doesn't want it and checks the box to return the phone, no address on the box. She phones up 3 who claim that they only deal with bills and do not send out the phones (fair enough) When asked who does send them out they put her on hold and the cut her off (this has happened 3 times).

Anyway a bill arrives stating money will be deducted via direct debit so as the phone has never been used, not even taken out off the box she cancels all dd's to 3.

a month later anothe bill comes, she phones 3 up, same story - they cannot help her, she asks who can, gets cut off. Phones again and they tell her to write aletter in (which she does)

Now a threating letter pops through the door requesting immediate payment - the letter is from a company called DIRECT COMMUNICATIONS based in cardiff. She call the number and is left waiting at the switch (automated) for 30 mins, trys to fax them - fax never goes through, checks the website - doesn't exist!

What the heck can she do? 3 help line are useless, shes sent letters of complaint yet still rec'vs bills!

I'm stuck as to what to suggest, any ideas or has anybody had the same problem? Does anyone have a number for a manager at 3?

Thanks for any help
Old 20 October 2004, 07:51 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/22...8298171#result

nothing in companies house for cardiff

do you have an address or fax number
Old 20 October 2004, 07:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Start with local Trading Standards. DL
Old 20 October 2004, 08:07 PM
seven x
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys

Yep have the full address, phone number and fax - At My girlfriend tho! - They are not registered with any of the 118's either!

Will go to local trading standards - may even write to watchdog.
Old 20 October 2004, 08:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the original call wasn't from 3 at all, but from a completely separate company which happens to sell 3 phones. Which company's name is on the bills?
Old 20 October 2004, 08:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

tell 02 and Oftel. I had a company do this to me. Spend days trying to get through. No chance. Called 02. They said they would sort it and would i like to make a formal complaint as they would help me

Apology was in the post within 48 hours...
Old 20 October 2004, 08:22 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Cancel the direct debit, speak to Trading Standards. As Andy says i don't think the company are from 3.

Then post their details on here so we know who to avoid.

I never buy stuff over the phone, or confirm my personal details from people who ring up saying that they're from my bank etc.

Chris
Old 20 October 2004, 08:24 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the original call wasn't from 3 at all, but from a completely separate company which happens to sell 3 phones. Which company's name is on the bills?
Yep, this is true. 3 don't cold call with upgrade offers.
Old 20 October 2004, 08:26 PM
seven x
Scooby Regular

- The company must have been a dealer on commision from 3 to get as many contracts as possible, 3 are the ones sending out the bills but when we phone them the say ' we only deal with the payments write a letter in' I still blame 3 for using these cowboys.

- I also beleive the 3 helpline is based in India it was very difficult (they put the phone down 3 times) to get them to give us an address for a 3 manager in the uk.

- fast bloke, oftel is another road we will now go down, thanks.
Old 20 October 2004, 09:09 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

3 have a small customer service team based in glasgow, when they're busy all the calls get forwarded to the bigger team in India. If you keep trying you should eventually get through to the Glasgow team at some stage, they're a bit more helpful.

But not much
Old 20 October 2004, 10:18 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

when you get someone on the phone ask to speak to someone from glasgow they will normally put you through. although if u ask me 3 are a complete bunch of tossers and i refuse to pay them