Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parents to have homeworking ability?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 10:54 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parents to have homeworking ability?

A few people at work have mentioned that as they are parents, by law the company should offer them the ability to work from home.

Is this the case? Is there a website that goes into more detail, such as their job roles, exceptions, etc?

Thanks
Andy
Old 12 October 2004, 11:03 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

As I understand it, the law gives you the right to apply to work from home. Your employer has no obligation to meet that right, provided they give valid reasons. Unfortunately, those reasons are weighted heavily in the favour of your employer.

Obviously there are lot's of jobs where home working is just not practical, but IT related stuff is usually a good one. When I worked for IBM, they actively encouraged it as it saved them office costs.

Your employer should be able to supply you with the info you need.

Geeze
Old 12 October 2004, 11:08 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I work in IT and we have had a few people mention it to us.

I was just curious as to "in's and out's" before everyone in the company starts requesting it!!

I guess I should speak to our HR department!
Old 12 October 2004, 11:23 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

A bit of research has dug this up: http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/workingparents.htm

It may be of interest to some of you parents!
Old 12 October 2004, 11:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Providing you deliver - all the IT companies I have worked for have been fine about me working from home. Never gave me any cash for it, but the saving on petrol covers the broadband connection.
Old 12 October 2004, 11:53 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Been working from home for 7 years now, I'm in IT but I'm not a parent.

I do seem to remember there was something recently that "encouraged" employers to allow parents to homework if it helped with child care etc. I think it was something along the lines of "you have the right to request homeworking" and the employer "must take the request seriously". However I'm sure that was as far as it went.

EDIT - Er, as the link shows that Andy posted. You basically have the right to ask and the right to be taken seriously.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by IWatkins; 12 October 2004 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Doh !
Old 12 October 2004, 11:55 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Christ, yet another pro-parent piece of crap legislation.

Sorry for the rant Andy, but if an individual chooses to have kids they should make sure they can deal with ALL the issues.

And don't get me started on bloody tax credits.

There, thats better
Old 12 October 2004, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo

Sorry for the rant Andy, but if an individual chooses to have kids they should make sure they can deal with ALL the issues.

There, thats better
Agreed -
Old 12 October 2004, 12:06 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I should say that I'm not a parent, I was interested in what people were referring to when they said they had a right to work from home!

One the desktop support guys mentioned it and I laughed asking him how he would fix desktop issues from home (when a majority of the calls he gets, he needs to hit printers, etc)

That said, should I become a parent, I know that the majority of my work can currently be done by using the phone and email. With the odd on-site meeting, etc, I'm sure I could wangle it!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 12 October 2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12 October 2004, 12:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

There, thats better
That has to be one of the most idiotic rants I've seen here (and that's saying something!)

You talk as if parents are in the minority, and all you single people are so hard done by!

In case it had escaped your attention, being a parent is not only 'normal', it is one of the driving forces of our existence! Most people do not 'choose' to become parents, it is something that overtakes you, sooner or later and you procreate.

People who do not have children are in the minority, and are not 'normal' by definition, so perhaps we should complain about all the pro-single person crap!

What utter nonsense!

Geezer
Old 12 October 2004, 12:22 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

LOL

Married, no kids through CHOICE

Show me anything that is "pro" that lifestyle choice.

By all means have them (for whatever reason) but accept that all the preference that affords you is really bloody annoying.
Old 12 October 2004, 12:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

As long as you accept that your CHOICE not to have kids means you miss out on tax credits and the right to your employer taking your request for homeworking seriously
Old 12 October 2004, 01:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Married, no kids through CHOICE

Show me anything that is "pro" that lifestyle choice.
Eh? What, you made that choice because it only offers disadvantages???

Your mind works in curious ways.

BTW, it would be odd for a government to encourage people not to have children. In eighty years the nation would cease to exist. (and let's hear none of your anti-English repartee to that, young man )

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 12 October 2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12 October 2004, 01:40 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Diablo - who is going to pay for your state pension?
Old 12 October 2004, 01:46 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can i drive my lorry from home?
Old 12 October 2004, 01:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've all got it wrong The way to do it is to get Burberry, council estate scrapeback and 42" plasma telly, then procreate ten wonderful copies of yourself and your chav partner, get both you and partner on the sick, both claiming incapacity benefit and attendance allowance for each other, then get the same for all the kids when they are diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. Then enjoy the nice tax free income and no responsibilities at all. Then you can laugh whilst all the people who work call you non-contributory members of society.

That is my rant. People that have a good work ethic, finance their children properly, and bring them up likewise should be respected and accommodated where possible as they seem to be in a minority. Why is it that some use contraception reliably (not exactly difficult you've got more choices than a takeaway menu these days) until they are in a position to choose to have children when they can support them, and others have children and expect the state to throw them every benefit under the sun?
Old 12 October 2004, 04:05 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
You've all got it wrong The way to do it is to get Burberry, council estate scrapeback and 42" plasma telly, then procreate ten wonderful copies of yourself and your chav partner, get both you and partner on the sick, both claiming incapacity benefit and attendance allowance for each other, then get the same for all the kids when they are diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. Then enjoy the nice tax free income and no responsibilities at all. Then you can laugh whilst all the people who work call you non-contributory members of society.

That is my rant. People that have a good work ethic, finance their children properly, and bring them up likewise should be respected and accommodated where possible as they seem to be in a minority. Why is it that some use contraception reliably (not exactly difficult you've got more choices than a takeaway menu these days) until they are in a position to choose to have children when they can support them, and others have children and expect the state to throw them every benefit under the sun?

Here Here !!!

Feels good to be made to pay for other peoples children

Shouldn't the people without children pay less tax as they are not using the schools or free dentistry that kids get
Old 13 October 2004, 10:17 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Eh? What, you made that choice because it only offers disadvantages???

Your mind works in curious ways.

BTW, it would be odd for a government to encourage people not to have children. In eighty years the nation would cease to exist. (and let's hear none of your anti-English repartee to that, young man )
ROFLMAO

Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly banter

Sorry, should have been specific. Show me a bit of pro-childless legislation.

Fast bloke - no one mate, at least not the state. Thats why I have my own arrangements

And anyway, I never said don't have them, I just have a problem with the prejudice shown to those who don't.
Old 13 October 2004, 10:49 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm with Diablo on this one, no kids through choice (none that I know of anyway , kidding).

So having kids is completely normal is it, hmm? Check China and Africa out for that one, and the problems being 'normal' causes. As the only species on the planet that can choose NOT to pro-create I think a few more of us should be able to excercise that choice without morons saying we arent 'normal'. When you look at the way this planet is heading we could do with less not more 'bipedal vermin' running about. And if all folk have kids for is to satisfy some irresistable urge to pro-create then I think its time you climbed back into the trees with the rest of the primates.

One other thing, just because you have a kid you can get time off work to look after them when they are sick (and to bond!!), what about some time off to look after elderly parents or relatives, or do these 'family friendly' policies only work in reverse?
Old 13 October 2004, 10:53 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Oh and chavs on the dole having 13 kids is completely normal as well