Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's the most ridiculous car you've ever had try it on with your Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 11:08 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the most ridiculous car you've ever had try it on with your Scooby?

Blimey there has been some depressing news on the non-sccoby related formum recently, so lets all have a giggle.

Own up: What's the most ridiculous car you've ever had try it on with your Scooby?

Mine happened shortly after I first got the car. I was at a set of traffic lights leading to a dual carriageway. A Chav pulled up next to me reving the nuts of his engine! I turned around to see what was producing this most unpleasant racket and saw........wait for it........

A 1 litre Suzuki Swift....possibly the least appropriately named car of all time!

I laughed so hard I nearly stalled! Or maybe that was Scooby trying not to choke on his optimax

I never race people on the public roads anyway, but quite why this plonker thought I'd waste the Optimax on such an encounter is beyond me!

Best wishes.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:11 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Rover 820 - in the wet!!
Old 11 October 2004, 11:12 AM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

lol i drive a corsa but i know itas a corsa so i only race corsa's if at all. it amazis me what some people think they drive lol. most of em think they can acctually stand a chance.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:53 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Some Corsa's are pretty quick in a straight line, esp those with engine transplants.
Old 11 October 2004, 12:16 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Sep
lol i drive a corsa but i know itas a corsa so i only race corsa's if at all. it amazis me what some people think they drive lol. most of em think they can acctually stand a chance.
So what about the UK Sti which I comprehensively stuffed on the way back from Glentress to Newcastle? On the straights (there aren't many) he was all over me, but on the corners ......

And no, I wasn't driving a Ferrari, just a humble Audi A6.

It's often not about the car (though clearly Schumacher in a Morris Minor would get beaten by a muppet in a 911 Turbo), and people don't become driving gods just because they have an Impreza.
Old 11 October 2004, 12:19 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

i know wat ure saying but when u get someone in a merto trying to take an s3 it gets pittyful. plus i know a couple of corsas that none of u could keep with, a 2ltr turbo corsa with 100 shot of nos and a 2.5 v6 turbo corsa with 150 shot of nos recently featured in a mag.
Old 11 October 2004, 12:33 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

i know wat ure saying but when u get someone in a merto trying to take an s3 it gets pittyful. plus i know a couple of corsas that none of u could keep with, a 2ltr turbo corsa with 100 shot of nos and a 2.5 v6 turbo corsa with 150 shot of nos recently featured in a mag.
Do you think you could spell or write properly - it took me ages to work out what you were saying - but I know what you mean!
Old 11 October 2004, 12:41 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Problem with any fwd car with a powerful engine is actually getting the power down. Look at 1/4 mile times, fwd cars are rarely quick, whether it be a corsa/saxo/nova, no matter what the engine. Once rolling at decent speed it's a different story of course.

Only quick fwd car I can think of is Andy Nicholls Maestro?
Old 11 October 2004, 12:47 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

and people don't become driving gods just because they have an Impreza.
How true. Had one trying to push me onto a roundabout yesterday (M62/M1/M621) So I deliberately held back until there was enough space for us both to get out then completely wasted him round the roundabout and down the sliproad to the M621. Once he was gone I then settled into the middle lane traffic and it was a good minute before he blasted past in the outside lane. Took a lot of pleasure then as all the traffic slowed to a crawl approaching J5 into Leeds and the middle lane (as is often the case there) moved faster than the outside and I passed him again. He ended up behind me as we got off at J3. He didn't look impressed (or should that be imprezed?)

Saying that, I wouldn't ever take on a scooby without the advantage that I had on the roundabout.. Unless it was my girlfriend's brother in his WRX cos he drives like a vicar
Old 11 October 2004, 12:56 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
How true. Had one trying to push me onto a roundabout yesterday (M62/M1/M621) So I deliberately held back until there was enough space for us both to get out then completely wasted him round the roundabout and down the sliproad to the M621. Once he was gone I then settled into the middle lane traffic and it was a good minute before he blasted past in the outside lane. Took a lot of pleasure then as all the traffic slowed to a crawl approaching J5 into Leeds and the middle lane (as is often the case there) moved faster than the outside and I passed him again. He ended up behind me as we got off at J3. He didn't look impressed (or should that be imprezed?)

Saying that, I wouldn't ever take on a scooby without the advantage that I had on the roundabout.. Unless it was my girlfriend's brother in his WRX cos he drives like a vicar
well dazz beans corsa is 374 bhp at the wheels and 174 mph top speed and trust me he takes the roundabouts at some speed. his is fwd but still not much touches it. when your up the **** of a evo 8 flashin him to move and he is flat out accelerating
Old 11 October 2004, 12:59 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Thumbs up Farmer with a sense of humor / an absense of logic

Not exactly a car but a couple of weeks ago I was sat at a set of lights with a few cars behind me. What should tootle up beside me?

A tractor

He was reving his engine and slowly creaping forward, made me laugh!
Old 11 October 2004, 01:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Hiya,

>And no, I wasn't driving a Ferrari, just a humble Audi A6.

The problem is that many owners of performance cars just don't know what their car is capable of through the corners. I've not even scratched the surface of my car's ability yet, I'll wait till I get on a track for that. There is only so much performance you can responsibly deploy on the road. That is the great leveler. These contests often just boil down to who's most willing to risk their licence.

When audacity and ability are equated, though, my money would always be on the Scoobies/Evos of the world! :-)

Best

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 11 October 2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11 October 2004, 01:07 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

well dazz beans corsa is 374 bhp at the wheels and 174 mph top speed and trust me he takes the roundabouts at some speed. his is fwd but still not much touches it. when your up the **** of a evo 8 flashin him to move and he is flat out accelerating
Just to add, I'm not knocking anything.. ffs, I'm driving a VTS at the moment.. lol
Old 11 October 2004, 01:10 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Worst offender is a repeat one. Vectra 2.2DTI tries it on regularly. As he's yet to "win" in any circumstances I wonder why he keeps bothering.
Funniest thing is I've never even tried to beat him, just get on with my own thing as usual.
Not that he'll ever read this but.......keep flashing those lights in my rear view mirror vectraman, next time you undertake at 100mph plus coming up to a roundabout I'd advise you learn how to drive your car/get a better one, the terminal understeer and tankslapper that followed was amusing to watch as I exited on to the dual carriageway at a nice legal speed.
Old 11 October 2004, 01:31 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

My mate works for a Land Rover dealer. Theres something quite amusing about rolling up to a set of lights in a 4.6 Range Rover and slapping it into low range. 30 mph flat out in 5th but it gets there quickly....
Old 11 October 2004, 01:34 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pastor
Worst offender is a repeat one. Vectra 2.2DTI tries it on regularly. As he's yet to "win" in any circumstances I wonder why he keeps bothering.
Funniest thing is I've never even tried to beat him, just get on with my own thing as usual.
Not that he'll ever read this but.......keep flashing those lights in my rear view mirror vectraman, next time you undertake at 100mph plus coming up to a roundabout I'd advise you learn how to drive your car/get a better one, the terminal understeer and tankslapper that followed was amusing to watch as I exited on to the dual carriageway at a nice legal speed.
lol
exacally why i want a scoob, u know their fast so u just cruise along and flex if ya have to
Old 11 October 2004, 02:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Pastor,

I think I've had a run in with him, mate (or someone like him): I was driving like a granny i.e. not in the least bit provocative, approaching a roundabout in the Scooby and suddenly I heard this screech of tires on the left side. I looked out the window to the a Vectra just barely stop before T-boning a car already on the roundabout. He then tore off down a 30mph road. What a S*it head! Probably goes to the pub and boosts about how his car "wastes" Scoobies and what a "tasty" driver he is. What he doesn't realise is that the other cars aren't even bothering with him and his driving only goes to show what a p*ick he is!

Scooby Sep: That's what people don't get about performance cars: if you flex your right foot in a normal car, you have a reasonable while before you're at any speed that will get you into serious trouble. You just can't do that in something like a scooby as you'd loose your licence in the time it takes you to say:

"Sorry officer, I don't usually put my foot down like that" :-)

Most of the time, you just have to let them go, secure in the knowledge that your car is much faster! :-)

Best.
Old 11 October 2004, 02:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink Vans with Windows?

Amusing thread.
The ones that make me laugh are people carriers. As I've said elsewhere, it doesn't matter what speed I do on French motorways, there's ALWAYS a people carrier waiting to pass me. I've been passed by them towing tiny trailers at over 100mph, with the trailer bouncing about all over. I just take my foot off and let them go. I really don't fancy someone's detached trailer through my front windscreen.
My youngest refers to them as "vans with windows". I sometimes wonder if drivers of them drive like that to try and convince themselves/others that they aren't vans with windows.:

Alcazar
Old 11 October 2004, 02:26 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Pure comedy was a gang of lads in a white corsa in tellins recently with bonnet vents and big alloy wheels, a vexed bumble bee trapped inside his exhaust by' sounds of it - mods all probably robbed and fitted by Daz the Chav from Ashton's Green... So he wanted to race me from the lights in our town centre where its a 40zone - both at the front, him revvin, his mates looking over and growling under their burberry peaks, sovereign rings reflecting the sun into my eyes....

The lights change - vrooooooom off goes the corsa, 40-50-60-sevvvvventy and away...Weeeeee.

They look in their mirror - and where's the lean green scoob machine they thought they were racing? Has he got so far in front they cant see him? Nope he's plodding along at 40mph, wiping the tears from his eyes from all the laughin
God bless em - w@nkerz
P
Old 11 October 2004, 03:55 PM
New_scooby_04

Abdabz,

Shouldn't that be 40, 50, 51..........51.5, ..........52.......52.5...... :-D

Frankly, I think the tractor would have stood more chance! :-)

Oddly enough, I do have quite fond memories of the Corsa: it was the car I *LEARNED* to drive in. Enough said! ;-)

Best.
Old 11 October 2004, 04:03 PM
Scooby Sep
Scooby Newbie

corsa's r quite nippy, mine was 1.4 and could easily take a 1.8 focus
Old 11 October 2004, 09:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Yeah, up to 40ish, they;re not too bad, but hen most small cars aren't. Mind you, the Corsa was Soooo much better than that horror of horrors: the Nova!!!!
Old 11 October 2004, 09:16 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I had a silver one with stickers on the bodywork and a blue flashing lights on top try the other day...
Old 11 October 2004, 09:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Amazingly, I've had a Scoobie SALOON try and take on my WAGON!!

Bloody hilarious! You would think that they would know the wagons are faster and handle better!

I don't know ...... kiddies and their saloons!

Pete
Old 11 October 2004, 09:37 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Old 11 October 2004, 09:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Last saturday when i'd just got home from Power Engineering having the Blitz system fitted, i pulled up a traffic lights behind just the cab part of an articulated lorry.

As i'm sat there burbling away loudly the artic driver was looking at me in his mirror. I was just going to pull away normally on green but got the fright of my life when the artic driver just gunned it and roared away from the lights smoking his rear tyres for a good 20 feet, leaving 4 long black strips of rubber!

I was sitting there in a big cloud of white smoke cracking up laughing, funniest thing i'd seen for a while!
Old 11 October 2004, 09:46 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Hmm...when a scooby owner tries it on with a ferrari/lambo/something v.expensive/v.fast they claim it was to hear the noise of the engine and then state how it wasnt as quick as topgear told it them should have been...

Could it be that at least "some" of these people in these inferior cars just wanted to hear a flat four rumble (well they might ) or they just wanted to see how fast a scoob goes?

Sometimes I'll try it on with anything just to watch someone "go for it" so to speak.

Just a thought

Ben
Owner of another 2.0 turbo 4wd japanese car that would perhaps be inappropriateto mention at this present time
Old 11 October 2004, 09:47 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
I had a silver one with stickers on the bodywork and a blue flashing lights on top try the other day...
LOL

Did have a bunch of guys trailing me in a maxxed Nova on Saturday. I didn't do anything until I reached the dual carrigeway leading to the A10..... I don't normally rise to the bait, but I couldn't resist it
Old 11 October 2004, 09:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh come on, a standard Scoob isnt the all conquering daddy it once was, a standard UK car just about rates as brisk these days and you have to watch your back for chipped up Diesels picking on you unless you have spent ten grand on tuning goodies.

Oh and theres just about anything with an AMG/M badge waiting to hand you your **** on a plate given half a chance.

Not that it matters, still a superb car but probably best to have your fun in it on your own these days lest you meet a bloody Corsa with a Calibra Turbo lump in it, its not that simple these days is it !
Old 11 October 2004, 09:49 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Iwan
I was just going to pull away normally on green but got the fright of my life when the artic driver just gunned it and roared away from the lights smoking his rear tyres for a good 20 feet, leaving 4 long black strips of rubber!

I was sitting there in a big cloud of white smoke cracking up laughing, funniest thing i'd seen for a while!
heh, I;ve seen something similar, a lorry cab doing a burnout. I think by the time he was finished you could see the cloud of smoke from Peking
astraboy.

Quick Reply: What's the most ridiculous car you've ever had try it on with your Scooby?