Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hit and run / Copper

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2004, 08:35 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and run / Copper

Heard this today on Talk Sport Radio, a Pakistani Policeman belongong to the Manchester Service crashed his car injuring 3 people. This was in his private vehicle with no insurance, he drove off without reporting the accident, he then took the car to be re-sprayed and get the damage repaired, he then tried to get his girlfriend to say she was driving to save his career. Are you following so far. The result of this little Minor offence was NOTHING, he got off scot free no ban NOWT. Reason he played the Race card against the Force, he is now off on the sick with full pay. 30+ mph = 3 points & £60, so what the **** happened here. The strong arm of the Law its a joke.
Old 24 September 2004, 08:37 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I am Asian and I hate the race card...well out of order.
Old 24 September 2004, 09:16 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

If you`re in the Police Force then you should all be treated the same way.....unfortunately we have to bend over to please some people.....

I could go on but there isn`t enough space or time..........

Needless to say...have had similar incidents!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 September 2004, 10:54 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

People get off with stuff all the time.

Stop trying to make a race issue out of something which happens all the time
Old 24 September 2004, 11:01 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

well said Doc.

luck of the draw.

BB
Old 25 September 2004, 12:21 AM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DocJock
People get off with stuff all the time.

Stop trying to make a race issue out of something which happens all the time
Seconded.
Old 25 September 2004, 12:28 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i hope the car is NOT a porsche 911

if so i know who it is.
Old 25 September 2004, 12:29 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

ooops check that
the one i know ACTUALLY written it off.
Old 25 September 2004, 05:32 AM
Spartan
Scooby Newbie

Doc i'm not too sure what you are on about? Are you referring to the post by deedee or the alledged fact the copper pulled the race card in order to get off with the offence.

Racism cuts both ways. The other day me and a couple of friends were involved in a racist indicent where a group of neds made various comments about a Nigerian friend of ours which was bang out of order. Needless to say it was sorted out. However, the race card is played way too often in this society for all the wrong reasons. Political correctness was the wrong way to go for out country resulting in favourtism for some. *

Such offences will get a new *** ripped for you in Aberdeen as proved in the past.

*I am not a fascist by the way, or anything else you may fancy calling me. But the 'racism' card is played far too often these days to actually be called legitimate. In my eyes, everyone is the same. What seperates us is our actions.
Old 25 September 2004, 08:19 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link to FULL version of the original story please?

M
Old 25 September 2004, 10:43 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I think the point is he is a policeman who broke the law in several ways and kept his job and got away with it.

Can't see how race would ever be involved....
Old 25 September 2004, 11:55 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Please note, for those not reading the full story, that he didn't actually get away without any punishment. He actually was subject to a substantial fine. It should also be pointed out that he was off work at the time with mental illness and this was part of his plea for mitigation.

I'm not saying that what he did was correct but mental illness (it was depression and stress as i recall) can make people do silly things and the tablets used to treat it can make them do even worse things. So, it is possible that there was a reasonable assessment of his health at the time which indicated that he might be unable to cope well with the stress of an accident.

I also believe that the police have said that upon his return he will no longer be involved in driving activities which I guess is going to represent a major slap in the face in real world terms. It might imply that he's got a desk job answering the phones.

The question of him being treated differently to you or I is certainly relevant here as any one of us may well have gone to jail for a similar incident. However, this cuts both ways as there was a huge protest that he was allowed to remain a policeman after the accident. Would you expect to be sacked from your job if you had a road accidentin your own time?

I saw no mention of race in the article I read on the subject, the only indication that he may have been anything other than white was that the name was certainly not Western European. On the other hand the police are certainly keen to increase representation in their ranks from "ethnic minorities" and so may have been reluctant to lose one but that I could see there was no evidence of that and it didn't seem relevant to the story.
Old 25 September 2004, 12:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IMO any police officer who is incapeable of abiding by the law is in capable of being a police officer...so why does he still have a job?

Ahh well, one less DSS cheque. Oh, hang on, we pay his wage anyway, no gain to the tax payer either way then.
Old 25 September 2004, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that it is not so much that he had an accident, that can happen to us all, but his actions in attempting to cover it up afterwards. If he really is suffering from some kind of mental disorder which affected him in this respect, then there is an excuse for it.

If his "let off" was really due to his ethnic origins, then that is no way to promote racial harmony.

Les
Old 25 September 2004, 12:56 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Oops
Old 25 September 2004, 01:40 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I was not trying to say anything about the race issue, his name was mentioned on the radio and his X girlfriend was a guest on the programme. I was more than miffed when this guy tried his hardest to pass the blame. How many crimes did he commit, if it was you in the same position would you expect the same punishment. I would have expected to lose my license and a big fine, and thats my job gone. I think the Force shyed away, be it Uniform or colour I do not know the reason, but I'm sure I would have been in the S**t be it me. Next time I get a ticket can I say I was depressed. NO
Old 25 September 2004, 05:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Next time I get a ticket can I say I was depressed. NO
Well, you can if you were/are, but it won't cut any fekkin ice with most magistrates.

Maybe the guy was just lucky and got a sympathetic magistrate.................NOT

Alcazar