Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calling fitness / health experts: health benefits of Sauna / steam / plunge pool?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2004, 11:04 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling fitness / health experts: health benefits of Sauna / steam / plunge pool?

As per the title, I use a sauna at least three times a week after exercise.

I usually do 10-15mins in the sauna, then immediately have an ice cold shower.

I then lay on the chairs by the pool for 10 mins sipping water, then 10 mins in the steam room, then another ice cold shower.

I used to be a complete baby about cold water, but now I absolutely love going from red hot to freezing cold. Without wanting to sound like a hippy, it's incredibly energising.

I know in places like Sweden etc they use icy plunge pools straight after a sauna.

So my question is, has there been any proven health benefits of saunas / plunge pools?

(I also watched a programme some time ago where they used cold showers to help with kids with ADD, apparently it helps with calming and focus?)

Ed
Old 23 September 2004, 11:13 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In Russia my mate was encouraged to run from the sauna (and I thought I could handle a hot sauna until I tried theirs ) to outside to roll naked in the snow at -20C!!
Old 23 September 2004, 11:22 AM
yoza
BANNED

Im no medical expert, but the only benifit I find when using the Saunas and plunges are that my heart goes from a sedate beat, to a racing beat instantly.

I dont think its too good for your gonads though, to go from normal appearance to half a walnut in sub 3 seconds cant be any good for them...

Hmmm I can smell the Albas Oil now, right Im off for a Sauna......
Old 23 September 2004, 11:55 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
(I also watched a programme some time ago where they used cold showers to help with kids with ADD, apparently it helps with calming and focus?)

Ed
I'll bet it does in the middle of a maths lesson, LOL
Old 23 September 2004, 04:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

its so you can see girls in bikini's go from hot steam to cold water and then smuggle peanutts ! !

so yes.. very healthy 4u
Old 23 September 2004, 06:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Heat causes your heart rate to rise so gives you a small cardio vascular workout. You sweat heavily which is good for purifying the blood and unblocking the pours. The steam is also good for your lungs.
Having a cold shower straight after reduces the effects of heat and closes your pours.

By far the biggest advantage to your well being is the relaxation effect. I find there is nothing better after a work out to do steam room, pool, then spa.
Great for getting rid of stress.

Cheers
Lee
Old 23 September 2004, 06:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee, with your heart, are you permitted/advised to do things like steam room / cold plunge pool? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old 23 September 2004, 06:18 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Lee, yes that makes perfect sense.

Brendan, I believe people with any heart / blood pressure conditions are recommended to consult a doctor before using steam and sauna rooms.
Old 23 September 2004, 06:24 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Lee, with your heart, are you permitted/advised to do things like steam room / cold plunge pool? Or am I misunderstanding you?
No I'm fine with steam rooms and saunas.

I do about 45 minutes cardio exercise first anyway, I can't let my heart rate go above 120 for more than a couple of minutes but the Atenolol (Beta Blockers) I'm taking keeps my heart rate low anyway. I can do 20minutes on the cross trainer at a decent level at around 70rpm with sweat dripping off me and my heart rate wont go above 115. My mate who goes to the same gym, is the same age, and does the same speed and level has a heart rate of around 160.

I'd like to find out how two people can do the same exercise with such different heart rates but feel the same. I felt strange on the tablets to begin with but know I feel fine.

My resting heart rate is aound 50 and in the steam room/sauna gets upto around 90. Not too sure what it would be without the drugs.

Cheers
Lee
Old 23 September 2004, 07:14 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Cold baths/Showers after training reduce stiffness and strengthen the immune system, which is weakened by endurance training.

So I should imagine the benifits would be along well-being strong immune system lines.
Old 23 September 2004, 08:12 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Edcase,

The benefits of Sauna/Steam rooms and then needle showering are mainly to do with skin care.

When you sit in the sauna and/or steam room, your core temperature rises and your heart rate will increase. To combat this vaso and capillary dilation occurs.
This increases the blood flow to the skin and opening the pores of the skin, the sweat will clear the gunk out of them and the cold shower will cleans the grease away and close the pores leaving you feeling 'fresh' for use of a better word.

HTH

Steve
Old 23 September 2004, 10:36 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

(edcase - fresh from yoga, sauna, steam and two cold showers )