Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance, driving other cars

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2004, 08:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car insurance, driving other cars

I have a fully comp policy and it allows me to drive other cars third party only, I tested this out when I borrrowed my brothers car and had a light coming together with a Mondeo, scratched his bumper and broke the light and indicator on my brothers car that was worth about 500 quid, worth the risk as it is cheaper to repair or scrap than the excess, plus I was only covered third party so Mondeo Man got sorted so thats what mattered, I take the risk but I dont expect anyone else to have to. The insurance company didnt quibble about me claiming and didnt seem to care what car I was driving when I drove into the Mondeo (about 200 quid damage).

Anyway, I pay six hundred quid plus for my policy, I bought a Rover Coupe the other day because it was cheap, am thinking of getting rid of my Fiat Coupe and fancy using this Rover in the mean time and after the Fiat has gone, technically at the moment it belongs to me even though the log book isnt in my name so if I put it in my wife/dads/brothers name (with their approval obviously) am I covered if I drive it ?

Its only a temporary arrangement and I dont want to break any laws but I might as well make use of this facility, I appreciate you need to have a cover note for the specific car if you need to tax it but it has six months tax left anyway. The policy doesnt say that the car you are driving needs to have a separate policy on it.

Also if I leave this car on the road without a specific policy am I at risk if somebody drives into it, does it need to be insured to be left on the road (its on the driveway).
Old 22 September 2004, 08:41 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the laws have changed within the last year or so a vehicle you drive on those terms MUST have an insurance policy in it's own right. Not necessarily fully comp though, so it might be worth getting your wife/dad/brother to take out a TPFT policy on it that you pay for. Maybe with limited mileage too to keep cost down. But then again you might as well do that yourself
Old 22 September 2004, 08:43 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Technically a car should be insured to be parked on a public highway, but this is where the grey area lies as the last person to drive the car is responsible for it's position therefore it can be argued that the 'driving other cars' extension of the policy would extend to it. Some insurance companies do add a clause in the policy booklet that any car driven under the 'doc' extension must have it's own third party insurance so check 1st !

I would personally keep the 'driving other cars' cover for what it was intended ie emergencys.

Chris.
Old 22 September 2004, 08:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Wrxsmo, I see what you are saying, jap2scrap, as far as I am aware my brothers car insurance was cancelled when he went on his travels and the car put in my dads garage, I was only using it because my car was out of action, the Tesco policy booklet has no such clause in the booklet regarding the car you are driving having its own insurance policy, dont really want to try this out for the sake of it but it is definitely a grey area, I get all worried about it and a large proportion of the British public drive around with no insurance whatsoever.
Old 22 September 2004, 08:58 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The car itself must already be properly insured. Third party cover doesnt work if it isn't and insurance is now databased so you will get pulled (and done) by the police using Automatic Numberplate Recognition as it will come up uninsured.

Bob
Old 22 September 2004, 09:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

BOB'5, I suppose that clears it up a bit, still a bit iffy though as nowhere on my policy does it say that the other vehicle needs to be insured separately, hence my confusion, therefore I would feel aggreived if my insurer knocked back a claim in such a situation, it happened with my brothers car and they paid the claim but technically according to what you are saying they shouldnt have, I thought I was doing nothing wrong at the time, I asked the question about the other car because it seemed a bit too good to be true, I think I will call them and ask, I get the impression that the average inurance call taker wouldnt have a clue anyway.

Anyone got motor trade insurance ?
Old 23 September 2004, 07:57 AM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Anyone got motor trade insurance ?
Yes I'm insured under our trade policy and the same applies with the 'doc' extension on a normal private motor insurance that the last person to drive the car is techincally responsible for it.
Old 23 September 2004, 08:19 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I think the clause says something like "The policyholder may drive any other car not owned by the policyholder". So that means if you are the owner, not neccessaryly the registered keeper the insurance will be invalid.
Old 23 September 2004, 08:55 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Anyway, I pay six hundred quid plus for my policy, I bought a Rover Coupe the other day because it was cheap, am thinking of getting rid of my Fiat Coupe and fancy using this Rover in the mean time and after the Fiat has gone, technically at the moment it belongs to me even though the log book isnt in my name so if I put it in my wife/dads/brothers name (with their approval obviously) am I covered if I drive it ?

Its only a temporary arrangement and I dont want to break any laws but I might as well make use of this facility, I appreciate you need to have a cover note for the specific car if you need to tax it but it has six months tax left anyway. The policy doesnt say that the car you are driving needs to have a separate policy on it.

Also if I leave this car on the road without a specific policy am I at risk if somebody drives into it, does it need to be insured to be left on the road (its on the driveway).
Echo what has been said on here and in summary - You wouldn't be breaking any laws - but your wife/dad/brother Would be if they didn't insure the car - Depends if you love them or not I suppose .
Old 23 September 2004, 10:37 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I have a fully comp policy and it allows me to drive other cars third party only, I tested this out when I borrrowed my brothers car and had a light coming together with a Mondeo, scratched his bumper and broke the light and indicator on my brothers car that was worth about 500 quid, worth the risk as it is cheaper to repair or scrap than the excess, plus I was only covered third party so Mondeo Man got sorted so thats what mattered, I take the risk but I dont expect anyone else to have to. The insurance company didnt quibble about me claiming and didnt seem to care what car I was driving when I drove into the Mondeo (about 200 quid damage).

These arrangements normally have a statement that the car cannot be owned by you. Also, if you're the main user of the car then you should be the person named as the primary driver.

J.