Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone dealth with changing UK fiancee visa to marriage visa?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 02:20 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dealth with changing UK fiancee visa to marriage visa?

just wondering, if anyone has married a foreigner and their fiancee has come to UK on Fiancee visa, have gotten married and then changed to Marriage visa?

If you have what were your experiences?
how long did it take for the visa to be changed?
what did you have to provide?
what do you look for?

Cheers
Old 17 September 2004, 02:30 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Why, don't you get paid 'till shes get her UK passport?

Sorry, Friday afternoon made me do it
Old 17 September 2004, 02:36 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Yep, I have I married a yank. Don't think it took to long she had already shown most of the stuff to get a entry clearance to enter on a Fiancee visa. We then had 6 months to get married. Think all we had to do what just send of a copy of the marriage certificate to get the visa. It took a lot longer and was more hassle trying to get a NI number after we got married.
Old 17 September 2004, 03:13 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andys
Yep, I have I married a yank. Don't think it took to long she had already shown most of the stuff to get a entry clearance to enter on a Fiancee visa. We then had 6 months to get married. Think all we had to do what just send of a copy of the marriage certificate to get the visa. It took a lot longer and was more hassle trying to get a NI number after we got married.
Oh right ok, Was it just the marriage certificate and the form + fee that you provided or did you have to send anything else? Is it worth paying the extra and doing it by personal appointment or would by post be better?

Also where/what did you have to do to apply for NI number?

Cheers
Old 17 September 2004, 03:25 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Can not completely remember it was a few years ago but am sure we just sent it off in the post.
For the NI my other half had to go for a interview in Croydon. When i say interview it was more of an interrogation. They went through her passport and wanted to know every reason for entering and leaving the UK over the last 8 years. Even after that it took months to get a number.
Old 17 September 2004, 03:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Have a read here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/con...d/en/home.html

You can just send it off in the post -- or if you really want to you can go to Croydon and wait to be seen in person.

The latter option makes you wonder about the state of society.

What I did in the end, was fly to another country, get it sorted by an incredibly nice, very English official in Poland and then fly back with my now legal wife.

Steve.
Old 17 September 2004, 05:00 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

ok, so I know she can legally work on marriage visa, but I assume she would have to obtain a national insurance number before she can work then? that right?
Old 17 September 2004, 08:57 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

My wife is from overseas and she started working here without a NI number. She did go for an interview soon after to get one sorted.
Old 18 September 2004, 09:16 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My fiancee was living in Germany. First all she had to apply to the UK consulate to get permission to enter UK to get married. To get this visa it cost about £100, I had to provide evidence that I could support both of us as this visa does not allow her to work. You must get married within six months. Eg bank statements proof that we have somewhere to live, copy of my passport etc.

After getting married you then get a new stamp in her passport which gives her permission to stay in this country for 12 months. Offiically to get this stamp you have to go to an immigration office and show wedding certificate. We spoke with immigration officer at Gatwick airport about it on our return from our honeymoon at 6am in the morning and eventually he offered / we persuaded him to stamp the passport with this stamp. Also at this time you get the stamp which allows her to work in the country.

12 months after this & before it expires you have to send off the passport to an immigration office and they then stamp the passport with a stamp that gives her indefinite leave to remain in the country (eg she can live here for the rest of our lives).

After three years she applied for UK citizenship which was quite straightforwards we were told that it took a couple of years to get UK citizenship however within two months she had a UK passport. Uk does not require her to relenquish her USA passport so she now has dual nationality.

Overall everthing has been quite straighforward, lots of form filling and sending of photcopies of bank statements etc to show that you are genuine however nothing has been very difficult and they have replied reasonably quickly at all stages. I guess if you are genuine and play bye there rules then it is ok.

I have heard of people bring fiancee into UK on a holiday visa and then getting married and then trying to apply which can result in difficulties and them getting kicked out as you are not playing by their rules.

Good luck

Kiwi
Old 19 September 2004, 02:14 PM
Jonty B
Scooby Regular

I am presuming you have an non-EEA spouse?

If so, I would recommend you book an appointment at the Public Enquiry Office (PEO) in Croydon as there is a chance you can have everything sorted on the same day. It will cost you £95 more for the same day service (£250). Postal applications are notoriously difficult to track and may take many weeks. You will be without your original documents for this period (including passports).

You can download the necessary application form FLR (M) from here:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...partners.html?

It is very important you supply all the information in original format listed in the form. Once granted your wife may remain in the UK for 2 years and there will be no restrictions to her working in the UK. She may qualify for indefinite leave to remain within 1 calendar month of the 2 years expiring.

Always apply in time.

All the best

Jonathan
Old 19 September 2004, 04:49 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

My wife`s Canadian, came over on a fiancee visa and we got the visa sorted the Monday after we got married at the home office place in Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham. There are regional offices but you have to make an appointment, there`s no walk in service.

It took about three hours in all but it was pretty painless (apart from paying 250 notes for a piece of sticky paper in her passport).

She got a temporary NI number issued over the phone from the employment people and she was working within a month!

Will agree with JontyB, the same day service is worth the extra cash as it`s all sorted there and then and your documents aren`t at the mercy of Royal Mail.

Good Luck!
Old 20 September 2004, 10:47 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon S3
My wife`s Canadian, came over on a fiancee visa and we got the visa sorted the Monday after we got married at the home office place in Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham. There are regional offices but you have to make an appointment, there`s no walk in service.

It took about three hours in all but it was pretty painless (apart from paying 250 notes for a piece of sticky paper in her passport).

She got a temporary NI number issued over the phone from the employment people and she was working within a month!

Will agree with JontyB, the same day service is worth the extra cash as it`s all sorted there and then and your documents aren`t at the mercy of Royal Mail.

Good Luck!
Thanks for all the advice guys!!! yeah, somehow i don't think I would be trusting RM with our passports. Already got the FLM form things, seems quite painless