Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving question

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2004, 10:37 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving question

Just had a run in with my girlfriends' next door neighbour with regards to parking and I want to know where I stand.

Basically I've been to Amsterdam for the weekend and during this time both our cars were on the driveway, with mine right in front of the garage.

Anyway, I reverse her car out and park it next to the kerb outside her neighbour's house. I then get into mine and reverse it off the drive and park it on the kerb in front of her house. I then go back to hers to move it back onto the drive when the neighbour's dad comes out and starts ranting and raving about I shouldn't be parking outside their house. I started off explaining that I was just getting my car out but in the end got really annoyed and told him I'd park wherever I pleased because he didn't own the road.

According to him if I park my car on the road outside his house it stops his son (who must be in his 40s) from reversing off the drive (not that I was even parked in front of the entrance) and going to work, apperently he's on call 24x7. Not that I see how this makes a difference cos so am I.

As far as I know there's nothing to stop me from parking here is there? It's not obstructing their drive and I'm sorry but if he can't reverse his car off his drive cos my car is at one side of the entrance then he shouldn't be driving.

Anyone know the score on this? He can't stop me if I wanted to park on the road outside his house can he? It's not as if I'm there all day every day...
Old 06 September 2004, 10:41 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

So long as its not a private road, that he owns, you can park there. (no yellow lines etc)
Old 06 September 2004, 10:43 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

as above he dont own the road its a free country and aslong as you aint blocking it then its fine
Old 06 September 2004, 10:59 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Cool that's what I thought........

a. I'm not blocking
b. there are no yellow lines

Stuff him
Old 06 September 2004, 11:17 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Ensure that no part of the vehicle obstructs the drop curbs directly outside his driveway.

Make sure the tw@t doesn't phone Police if you park on any part of the path aswell (ie wheels on the curb) as this is an offence also
Old 07 September 2004, 12:10 AM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by the_boy
Stuff him
Damn right laddie! You have done nothing wrong, so whats his fecking problem? Hes probably had a bad day!
Old 07 September 2004, 10:29 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Parking on the pavement is only an offence is London.
Old 07 September 2004, 10:31 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro

Eeermmm No it isn't!
Old 07 September 2004, 10:33 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro

are you sure??????????????????????????????
Old 07 September 2004, 10:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are feeling particularly vindictive, have a dig around and find out if there are any public rights of access across their land. If you are lucky and there are then make sure you use them at every opportunity
Old 07 September 2004, 10:53 AM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

LOL SJ_Skyline, I'm not that extreme

BTW it's an offence as far as I know on all UK roads to park on the kerb, I know because the coppers were down our works the other month ticketing cars that were parking on the kerbs....
Old 07 September 2004, 10:58 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_boy
LOL SJ_Skyline, I'm not that extreme

BTW it's an offence as far as I know on all UK roads to park on the kerb, I know because the coppers were down our works the other month ticketing cars that were parking on the kerbs....

same here
Old 07 September 2004, 11:56 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

As i understand it you are not convicted for parking on the kerb, you are charged with driving on a public pathway.

We once went to a market in Wales (Abergele), we parked in the car park and bought a few things including a little dress for our then aged 3 year old daughter. When we got back to the caravan we noticed it was damaged so we thought we'd nip back and change it

When we got to the market we found no spaces so i parked outside a residential house wityh my wheels on the kerb. We were gone 5 mins and when we came back i had a ticket

I went over to the Heddlu which was only over the road and spoke to the desk seargent. He could see that we just nipped in to change something and that my missus was heavily pregnant and ready to drop

This is what he told me to say as a statement :

"Whilst not able to find a parking space, i parked in a residential road but seeing that the road was quite slim i decided to put the car 1/2 on the kerb. Realising that it was a mistake to drive on a public pathway, i decided to push the car onto the kerb and that my wife witnessed me doing so"

The copper wrote that down and said if i didn't hear anything within 28 days i would have got off with it.

I heard nothing nice Mr. Heddlu did me a great favour. Good Bloke

He did tell me its the driving on the kerb which is the offense not the parking on it and technically unless you are seen driving on the kerb you can say you pushed it but TBH i dont think it would stand up in court
Old 07 September 2004, 01:30 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Simply by parking on the road at the kerb, albeit extreme, then the driver is leaving themselves open for being reported for obstruction of the highway, however if everyone got booked for this offence then the country would be gridlocked.

Providing you are not blocking any access to the property be it by way of a dropped kerb or otherwise, and providing the road is an adopted road and not private, then he can rant all he likes.

If he rants at you again, then point out that he is himself committing a breach of the peace and his verbal tirade contitutes a common assault for which he can be arrested.

Had a similar problem with a neighbour like that only a few weeks ago, they soon shut up when they found out my background
Old 07 September 2004, 01:34 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Which is Traffic Cop i presume
Old 07 September 2004, 02:29 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T.C
Simply by parking on the road at the kerb, albeit extreme, then the driver is leaving themselves open for being reported for obstruction of the highway, however if everyone got booked for this offence then the country would be gridlocked.

Providing you are not blocking any access to the property be it by way of a dropped kerb or otherwise, and providing the road is an adopted road and not private, then he can rant all he likes.

If he rants at you again, then point out that he is himself committing a breach of the peace and his verbal tirade contitutes a common assault for which he can be arrested.

Had a similar problem with a neighbour like that only a few weeks ago, they soon shut up when they found out my background
Ha Ha I quite like that one....

TBH it had crossed my mind that if I parked there again would any damage come to my car, if it did I'd probably have no evidence and I'd be even worse off. Think I'll just ignore him instead.
Old 07 September 2004, 03:33 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Which is Traffic Cop i presume
Retired but I still work in the legal profession (private sector)!