Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Collecting puppy tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 02:04 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collecting puppy tomorrow

Right found a puppy lab and am collecting him tomorrow, can anyone confirm what im going to need?

I have the following list:

Bed
small collar and lead
Toys (Any worth recommending?)
Food (Same stuff owner uses)
Lots of cardboard boxes (to attempt to save our 2 month old cream carpet! )

Going to book him in the vets for his jabs next week!

Anymore more advice much appreciated!
Old 03 September 2004, 02:12 PM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

SD

Congratulations on the finding of your new family member. I hope you will all be happy together. A trick i found VERY useful for saving carpet from muddy footprints is a bathroom mat (a long piled one). My puppy knows now that he doesn't go any futher into the house without having his feet wiped on the mat. He thinks it's great fun, and it saves the caprpet. Can just be bunged in the washing machine to clean. Over the summer months (when it's dry outside) we remind him now and again that he has to have his feet done (just so he doesn't forget!). We've now trained him so he sits waiting on the mat if you shout 'feet'.

Also a good toy is a 'kong'. You can stuff it with food (a good trick to smooth cheese over te ends) and it keeps them amused for ages.

Have loads of fun together

lmf
Old 03 September 2004, 02:22 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

congrats mate, Get some pictures on here ASAP

I'd also get him tagged. It cost us £12 from our local vet. You might also want to look at dog insurance. Our's is £9 per month and covers us for £2m of libality damage (i.i Elle runs out in a road and causes a pile-up)

Also as lmf said, Kongs are wicked toys and keep dogs amused (well all apart from mine ) www.kongcompany.com

How far is your home from the current owner? The dog might be car sick so take a spare bag, bucket, etc.

Darren
Old 03 September 2004, 02:27 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic_Danny
Right found a puppy lab and am collecting him tomorrow, can anyone confirm what im going to need?!
I don't have a dog but from observation you'll probably need boundless amounts of energy, a brush, lots of small bags for when it poos on a walk, patience, a waterproof house for when it has its first bath and makes a sopping wet run for your favourite/most recently decorated part of the house, a waterproof coat for walking it in the rain, wellington boots (for you, of course!), a nice big stick to throw and a loud voice. Also, don't blow in its ear, for some reason dogs hate that but are more than happy to stick their head out of a car window when travelling at breathtaking speeds.

Best of luck with your new canine friend.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the breeder should really give u at least a couple of days worth a food from what shes been feading them on to at least let u filter it down to food you might prefer?

basket and bed covers maybe ask the breeder if she minds cutting off a piece of fabric from something like mothers bed covers to pick up the smell of the mother that you could take with you, lets the puppys feel at ease a little more.

Have u stocked up on news papers for starting the toilet training

Have fun
Old 03 September 2004, 02:43 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Pet insurance?

The Vets will probably have leaflets, lots of normal insurance companies (e.g. Direct Line) do too.

Better to have it and not need it.
Old 03 September 2004, 02:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

if its a reputable breeder puppys generally come with the first 6 weeks of ownership insurance anyhow
Old 03 September 2004, 02:47 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

btw, u shouldnt really be needing a lead or collar, the dog shouldnt be walked until its had its jabs at 10 and 12 weeks IIRC
Old 03 September 2004, 03:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
btw, u shouldnt really be needing a lead or collar, the dog shouldnt be walked until its had its jabs at 10 and 12 weeks IIRC
Sorry I beg to differ - get the collar on it ASAP - start with it on for 5 mins and distract it with food, then take it off and play a game with the puppy. Build the time up so that after 2 or 3 days the puppy is used to the collar. You can be nasty and just put it on and leave it, we did that with ours as it didn't seem bothered by it.

As soon as it is happy with the collar, get the lead on it and walk it round the living room. Agian start with a couple of mins and build up. Put the lead on when you take the pup out to use the loo, basically get the pup used to a collar and lead asap, it means that when you are able to start walking the pup, it is used to it all and so has one less thing to worry about when you take it out in to the big wide world the first time.

Also get a copy of "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwyen Bailey, and read it cover to cover, several times - preferably before you get the dog Stuffed full of essential tips. Took 5 days to house train our 8 week old pup following her method.
Old 03 September 2004, 03:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Olly, Im not saying thats not how u train the puppy, I agree fully with your method, I was just pointing out that if theyre picking up a puppy tomoz a lead shouldnt really be a priority. there isnt a rush to train the puppy with this as you should ideally have a few weeks to get it into this routine, u need to gain the puppys trust before u get it home and stick a collar on it straight away
Old 03 September 2004, 03:35 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

We were told by the breeder we bought our lab from that a sort of knotted rope "tug" toy was very useful. It strengthens the dogs teeth and teaches them play BUT it also teaches them to stop when you say STOP. When you say stop and he sits waiting to play again, reward him for good behaviour.

If the dog is pedigree then dont forget your kennel club certificate with his DOB on it, this acts as your insurance from the kennel club (it is the KC that insure your dog not the owner) against premature death etc etc.
Old 03 September 2004, 04:50 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

If you need any advice about anything at all i can recommend you join
www.champdogs.co.uk there is a vast amount of experianced people on there willing to help with any probs you may have .

Mrs sticky.
Old 03 September 2004, 06:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good House insurance !