Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Throwing up after a night out

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 02:11 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing up after a night out

Ok, bit of a minging topic here but thought I would throw this open to the wealth of knowledge kicking around on the board.

Yesterday I went out and had a few beers (I dont mix what I drink anymore), left the pub just before closing and yeah I was a bit smashed, not falling overmyself but well illibriated, got some food got a cab home and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and felt a bit rough, and then it happens - whenever I go out now and have a few drinks the only way I can make myself feel better the next day is to go and throw up.

This has been happening for the last year or so.

Now I dont drink nearly as much as I did when I was say 18 ish. At 18 I was out on the beer pretty much every night, it got to the point when I was taken to hospital due to stomach pains etc because of excess drinking - subsequently I had to stop drinking for a year etc and ever since then I took it easy, got back into shape and now I only really have a beer once every two weeks.

Questions is this, am I throwning up because my body has gotten used to me not drinking?

I realise there will be a common theory of 'if you throw up when you drink, dont drink', any other theories would be welcomed
Old 30 August 2004, 02:13 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

make sure you drink plenty of water when you get in
Old 30 August 2004, 02:18 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gyfto1
will give that a go... thanks, not gonna run out and test that though, still a little delicate.
Old 30 August 2004, 02:21 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

Talking

know the feeling,try sipping a carton of ribena slowly,find this helps alot.got to be the carton though,i find the mix doesnt do it
Old 30 August 2004, 02:27 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Try Alka-Seltzer [sp] the next morning, tastes absolutely revolting but is recommended

http://www.webguru.com/unique-uses-alka-seltzer.htm
Old 30 August 2004, 02:35 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

Its an age thing I'm afraid! Have you noticed that it takes a lot less to get drunk! But you suffer for twice as long.

Stick to the horlicks mate and when you start getting up at 4 in the morning for no particular reason, get the zimmer frame out.

Ive
Old 30 August 2004, 02:45 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Make sure you have a decent meal before you start drinking. As mentioned, drink plenty of water when you get in (1 or 2 pints).

Consider drinking wine instead of beer during the evening.

If you are still being sick, you are simply drinking too much, too fast. Listen to your body, it is trying to tell you something.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:03 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

While you sleep after drinking, your body loses water and vitamines. That's why you have to drink before you go to bed, to compensate for this drying out. Also take 2 vitamin B pills with the water. If you get headaches, take 1 gram of paracetamol as well. Put this stuff next to your tootbrush not to forget it because you're drunk.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:05 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gyfto1
I always try to do that as well.

What i find is the more water i drink when i get in the better i feel the following day. Not sure about exactly how much but if you can drink, say 3 or 4 pints (you dont have to down them just make sure you drink them) you will be doing ok. I have done this many times after coming in absolutely w@nkered and i usually wake up feeling pretty good. The key is though remembering to do it because you probably wont remember if you are that drunk.

Try it, it works.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:23 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Yesterday I went out and had a few beers (I dont mix what I drink anymore), left the pub just before closing and yeah I was a bit smashed, not falling overmyself but well illibriated
now I only really have a beer once every two weeks.
It's called binge drinking dear, it's not good for you!!
Old 30 August 2004, 03:36 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eClaire
It's called binge drinking dear, it's not good for you!!
speaks the voice of experience

you could have developed an ulcer of the stomach lining ! a couple of friends have this, due to not eating enough but drinking far too much. They now happily take a tablet every day to stop it playing up (thats Every Day) ! all manner of tubes and tests done to find this out. ! so make sure you eat.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/alcohol/

Happy reading...
Old 30 August 2004, 09:25 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Draught lager is ****, stick to bottles, I guarantee you will be "ok" in the morning. Another thing, the morning after, when you wake up-get up. Do something physical, you will work up an appetite, scrambled eggs, lean bacon,baked beans usually does it for me.

before you know it, you'll have loads of stuff done, and no hangover.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:46 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Scary stuff Brendan.

Mark - DON'T DRINK SO MUCH

Mind you saying that, I was horribly ill a few weeks ago after mixing my drinks My own fault - I should know better at my age . Felt fine in the morning - probably because I get rid of all the crap out of my stomach and still had the presence of mind to have a pint of water and a Nurofen (best hangover cure I know).

If you want a practical session (preferably without the throwing up) - give me a call Mark.

Chris
Old 30 August 2004, 11:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having got to 33, I finally know when to stop, used to binge on a Friday night, now I probably drink molre but spread across 7 nights, alcohol has a very steep law of diminishing returns, first one wonderful, second even better but much after four and you dont feel better, just more drunk and being drunk clouds your judgement and makes you drink more because you think you will feel better, less is more with booze, after extensive experimentation over the last 20 or so years I have concluded this so you dont have to !
Old 30 August 2004, 11:24 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I reckon it is a lot about being used to it. I've been through phases where I didn't bother with drink at all for months and when I went back on it I could end up being sick with only say 8 or 9 pints. Over the last few years it's become totally regular for me and my mates to get totally leathered every saturday (and sometimes friday too ) and even though I drink loads more than I did as an occassional drinker I haven't been sick in years and generally feel fine in the morning.

One thing I do notice is that although I don't really feel rough, I do feel really lazy and unmotivated for a few days, this is often amplified if it's been a heavy weekend (sometimes it can be a three-nighter on bank holidays ). I can kinda get away with this lifestyle for now being 24 but the clock's ticking...! God knows what it's doing to my insides but as long as I enjoy it then why not
Old 31 August 2004, 08:58 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Scary stuff Brendan.

Mark - DON'T DRINK SO MUCH

Mind you saying that, I was horribly ill a few weeks ago after mixing my drinks My own fault - I should know better at my age . Felt fine in the morning - probably because I get rid of all the crap out of my stomach and still had the presence of mind to have a pint of water and a Nurofen (best hangover cure I know).

If you want a practical session (preferably without the throwing up) - give me a call Mark.

Chris

lol cheers chris, will have to get together to have a coke next weekend. I have a wedding to go to saturday, friday night or sunday is looking good so far.
Old 31 August 2004, 09:43 AM
Little Miss WRX

Irn Bru I found was a fantastic hangover cure. Drink plenty of water too as the alcohol is dehydrating you.

My diet and training schedule however, no longer incorporate alcohol allowances so I rarely drink at all nowadays.
Old 31 August 2004, 10:45 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Yet another vote for drink water before you go to bed - at least a pint....
Old 31 August 2004, 10:51 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I dont get hangovers

But if I know im going to go to bed and have the spinning room experience, I usually go for a tactical puke

I use the tactical puke on lads holidays sometimes too, just to keep the pissedness to a fine balance

MB
Old 31 August 2004, 01:25 PM
ChrisB

My hangover prevention technique is a bottle or two of Lucozade Sport (the non-fizzy stuff) before bed.

I find the extra sugars and stuff in there are better than plain water
Old 31 August 2004, 01:55 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Bottle of NF helps too

I was thinking the other day, how many people (me included) are more wary of what they put in their car than their own bodies

MB