Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

For everyone who says"Britain is a crap place to live".........

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2004, 01:20 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb For everyone who says"Britain is a crap place to live".........

Well,we won more medals than these lot who only have one gold.......

Austria
Kenya
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Indonesia
South Africa
Denmark
Argentina
Egypt
Belgium
Israel
Ireland

..and these havent even won "one" gold yet.

Hong Kong
India
Portugal
Finland
Mexico

India have just the solitary silver,typically when they tried to call the Indian Olympic squad to arrange the medal ceremony,they got diverted to a call centre,could only get some idiot reading from a script.

Old 28 August 2004, 01:24 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

WTF has that got to do with whether living in this country is good or not? By your logic all the countris who have more golds than us are better places to live.

Moving to China, are we Paul?
Old 28 August 2004, 01:28 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It reflects on the sort of people and attitude to sport we have as a nation,and even though we are 13th in the table imo thats pretty good.
As for dissing China,wait till the Olympics are in Bejing.My guess they will be awesome.
Old 28 August 2004, 01:28 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

should be re titled "for those who said britain is crap at sport" .......if anyone has said that???
mike
Old 28 August 2004, 01:36 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

You've confused yourself now, are you talking about a nation's attitude to sport (and it's ability to put on a good games, in the case of China) or whether a nation is good to live in or not? I stand by my previous post, by your logic China must be a lovely place to live
Old 28 August 2004, 01:40 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

This sounds like the Olympic politics of the 1950s/60s lol

UB
Old 28 August 2004, 01:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gordo
You've confused yourself now, are you talking about a nation's attitude to sport (and it's ability to put on a good games, in the case of China) or whether a nation is good to live in or not? I stand by my previous post, by your logic China must be a lovely place to live
Its the same thing.One of the things that makes Britain a good place to live is sport...our attitude,success etc,etc.
The whole thing.
Old 28 August 2004, 01:48 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

The UK isnt doing that well TBH for a place with 60 million inhabitants.
Old 28 August 2004, 01:49 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I wonder if Bliar would like to move to China ..... here's hoping
Old 28 August 2004, 02:36 PM
emicen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by paulr
Its the same thing.One of the things that makes Britain a good place to live is sport...our attitude,success etc,etc.
The whole thing.
Eh? Britain is a crap place to live. Our attitude to everything sucks, ie europe walk all over us.

British industry is a sucess?

Mate, Gold medals have nothing to do with quality of life or things that actually matter, like a benefits system that isnt open to rape and pillage by people that didnt even get standard grades.

All the gold medals in the world arent going to make me resent those who receive a huge wad of my wage packet every month, for doing sod all other than breeding, any less.
Old 28 August 2004, 02:46 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hong Kong is part of China .......who are leading the medal table !
Old 28 August 2004, 02:51 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Oh yes
Im soooo happy that they won some medals

It makes me feel so much better that tony blair is f*cking us all up the *** in every possible way

Old 28 August 2004, 06:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Well it makes me happy so there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 28 August 2004, 11:12 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Britain are much higher in the table than Canada, but that won't make me move back.

It is good to see GB in the top ten though (after the mens 4x400 relay).
Old 28 August 2004, 11:22 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

So is the Olympics finally over?
Old 28 August 2004, 11:25 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Originally Posted by Freak
Oh yes
Im soooo happy that they won some medals

It makes me feel so much better that tony blair is f*cking us all up the *** in every possible way

Well apart from some real hum dingers like the war, which the Tories would have subscribed to anyway, I am loads better off under this government than I ever was the tories, so what exactly is the problem.?
Old 28 August 2004, 11:36 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Go on Manda po, make us

How exactly do you think you're better off under this government of liars? (please don't mention interest rates, which are set by the bank of England with reference to the rest of the global economy. Likewise don't give the government 'credit' for a housing boom which is driven by the stock market being fecked under their stewardship - anyone on here feel their pension is better after Brown's had several pops at it?).

Gordo
Old 28 August 2004, 11:42 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

I am not an economist, so I cannot tell you exactly, in fiscal terms I am better off. I just know, form a standard of living point of view, I definitely am. For a start, I couldn't have moved house or bought a scoob under the tories. I just couldn't have afforded it.
Old 28 August 2004, 11:43 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

How old are you?

sorry, just realised that's a bit personal - where I'm heading is that many people are better off now than they were under the tories merely because they're that much older and therefore have better earning power/ savings.

You'd be even better off with lower taxes and less public sector overhead

Last edited by Gordo; 28 August 2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 28 August 2004, 11:43 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Oh and BTW, the reason interest rates are set by the BofE,is because labour made it that way, so we still have to thank them for low interest rates.
Old 28 August 2004, 11:46 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

"Oh and BTW, the reason interest rates are set by the BofE,is because labour made it that way, so we still have to thank them for low interest rates"

it was heading that way whoever got in - you wouldn't be praising them if interest rates had gone through the roof, now would you?
Old 28 August 2004, 11:52 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

I am late thirties, and I get your point to a certain extent. I have just had a promotion, but have not seen the benefit yet. The grade I was at was the same as under the tories. Oh and my husband is in a really craply paid job.
Old 28 August 2004, 11:53 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

"Oh and BTW, the reason interest rates are set by the BofE,is because labour made it that way, so we still have to thank them for low interest rates"

it was heading that way whoever got in - you wouldn't be praising them if interest rates had gone through the roof, now would you?
Are you asking me to comment on hypotheticals here?
Old 29 August 2004, 12:01 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Let's de-personalise this - across the board taxes have gone up massively under New Labour. The nation supported some of these increases to fund the good old mantras of health and education. There is no evidence yet that anything has been achieved in either other than increasing the army of public servants on guaranteed defined benefit pensions.

There are now fewer bed in London hospitals than when Labour came to power. More efficient, perhaps? Nope - waiting lists in real terms haven't moved.

Teachers are still screaming there aren't enough of them to enjoy their massive holidays. All little Johnny has to do to get an A Level is turn up - the lack of basic literacy is all too clear on a daily basis on this Board and the increasing number of Universities crying foul of 'improved standards' says it all.

So, we're paying more taxes with little to show for it. I'm not convinced, I'm afraid. It's such a shame there is no decent credible opposition although let's face it, we hardly live in a democracy. Any party that can ignore fundamental election promises so blatantly and lie on a daily basis to fool the general public with massaged stats with no mechanism for redress demonstratres this. Perhaps PaulR is right, let's all move to a country who have won more gold medals than GBR

Gordo
Old 29 August 2004, 02:18 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Go on Manda po, make us

How exactly do you think you're better off under this government of liars? (please don't mention interest rates, which are set by the bank of England with reference to the rest of the global economy. Likewise don't give the government 'credit' for a housing boom which is driven by the stock market being fecked under their stewardship - anyone on here feel their pension is better after Brown's had several pops at it?).

Gordo

As opposed to the last goverment - of liars?

[sarcasm on] - I wish we had the Tories back to undo all the bad that Gordo Gasp has done. They could bring back student grants, reintroduce free milk for undernourished babies, open all the coal mines, buy all the money making industries back from Sid and use them to subsidise the money losing industries, not have cabinet orgies etc etc [ end sarcasm]

TBTO - Most of the pension and endowment probelms have ben caused by lack of foresight buy the govt of the 80's and early 90's. Now Mr Liar needs to fix it and he has no feking notion what to do. Both parties are as bad as each other. Every time we elect a party we end up worse off. Next time - vote for none of the above
Old 29 August 2004, 02:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Oh - BTW - Gordo - who decided that interest rates should be set by BOE (to removed overall control of the economy from party politics?)
Old 29 August 2004, 03:26 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

For the first five years of my working life (92 - 97) I had crap jobs that paid poorly. In 97 i joined a big blue chip company and after several prmotions am doing very well and its all down the labour party - thanks Tony Blair for my promotions - nothing to do with me - all down to you - god bless ya!

Back to the thread though - I think Britain is the best place in the world to live anyway (even better when Count Howard gets into power next year ) so success at the olympics has only broadened my patriotic smile a bit more <stands for national anthem>...

P
Old 29 August 2004, 03:46 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke - read the earlier threads - BoE selection already covered

The Tories weren't perfect - read my post again, I'm not saying they were, and I also agreed with you that neither party is that great.

There are specifics, however, that can be attributed to Bliar and his cronies. Pensions is an excellent example, the current malaise, whilst not unique to the UK, has been exacerbated masisvely by Brown double dipping into Pension funds (one off profit tax and removal of dividend tax benefits). Labour has reverted to the old tax and spend mentality of the 50s and 60s - time for a change just to keep them all on their toes.

G
Old 29 August 2004, 04:14 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
As opposed to the last goverment - of liars?

[sarcasm on] - I wish we had the Tories back to undo all the bad that Gordo Gasp has done. open all the coal mines [ end sarcasm]
Yeh and who's laughing now.

The tories closed the mines and created the "Dash for Gas" in the generation market.
All the UK's natural gas reserves have been wasted on Electricity generation cutting the UK's supplies by 30 years.

That is the reason we are facing huge Electricity and Gas price increases and why the cheapest mined coal in Europe is sitting lost beneath our feet.
Nearly all of the rest of the world is using their natural resource of coal to generate Electricity with modern clean combustion, desulphurised power stations.

Lee
Old 29 August 2004, 05:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This really is a particularly silly subject for a thread. The statement in the first place has no relevance whatsoever.

Les

Quick Reply: For everyone who says"Britain is a crap place to live".........