Life assurance

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 01:36 PM
HighlandLaddie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life assurance

Anyone a life assurance expert?

Need some new cover, and was wondering how best to do it. Probably around £300-400k of cover.

a) Is it best to get one policy for £400k, or is it worth splitting it into 2 x £200k with 2 life companies?

b) reason for (a) is that I hate medicals Is there some kind of threshold where you will get sent for a medical, or is it just random? I realise medical history affects this too. I've got a relatively good medical history, and don't smoke. However, one or two previous medical conditions (mild asthma, one blackout episode).

Anyone any advice?

When you took out life assurance lately, did you have to have a medical?
Old 20 August 2004, 02:08 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HighlandLaddie
Anyone a life assurance expert?

Need some new cover, and was wondering how best to do it. Probably around £300-400k of cover.

a) Is it best to get one policy for £400k, or is it worth splitting it into 2 x £200k with 2 life companies?

b) reason for (a) is that I hate medicals Is there some kind of threshold where you will get sent for a medical, or is it just random? I realise medical history affects this too. I've got a relatively good medical history, and don't smoke. However, one or two previous medical conditions (mild asthma, one blackout episode).

Anyone any advice?

When you took out life assurance lately, did you have to have a medical?
I can can give you a bit of help on this.

Basically, all life companies have underwriting "thresholds" after which they first of all they will go to your doctor for a short report. With your black out episode, I would guess that this would be almost automatic, irrespective of your amount of cover.

On the life insurance applications, you will be faced with a question regarding whether or not you are making any other applications. Therefore, if you answer this honestly (which I would strongly suggest you do), they will add up the prospective cover and assess their underwriting needs accordingly.

You will also have to complete an Asthma Questionnaire, which will be asked for by any company, but this is pretty standard, as Asthma differs wildly from person to person, and these days, it is a pretty common complaint.

Hope this helps, if you need any further help, PM me.
Old 20 August 2004, 02:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just get one plan...how can you hate a medical???? just stand there and its done in 1/2 an hour? and its FREE!
Old 20 August 2004, 02:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
just get one plan...how can you hate a medical???? just stand there and its done in 1/2 an hour? and its FREE!
Not everybody is in to standing about half naked being prodded and poked and ask lots of intimate questions.
Old 20 August 2004, 03:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its not worth messing about with 2 policies tbh.

Underwrting requrements vary from provider to provider and it depends on which provider you go with, your current age and your health.

At 400K they may just ask for a Medical Attendance Report which is just a form filled out by your doctor - this is a nightmare (but does not directly affect you) as most doctors seemed to take an age even though they get paid up to £75 to fill out an A4 sheet!

Some companies may ask for a mobile screening test or indeed a medical examination but I would suggest that will only happen if you smoke or you have some sort of health issue.

/edit - and if your single they'll want to check your not gay - honestly!
Old 20 August 2004, 05:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Not everybody is in to standing about half naked being prodded and poked and ask lots of intimate questions.

its a medical not oprah! there are no scary questions and they arent going to prod you with anything!
Old 20 August 2004, 06:37 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Depends on your age. If you need 400k and are under 40 you shouldn't need a medical, but the will probably ask for a GP report on your asthma and blackout. They may also ask for a paramedic exam (which is basically height, weight, BP and a short questionaire.)
I have less than 1% of cases which go for a full medical. The mosts recent of which a 50 year old wanted a million quid of critical illness cover to cover him until he was 65.
Old 20 August 2004, 06:38 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

PM me if you want and I can give you a quote

(never misses an opportunity )