Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

where to go in barcelona (at night)

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2004, 12:37 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to go in barcelona (at night)

g/f and i are going to barcelona this weekend.

wondering where's good to go for nightlife (clubs, bars, what else?, etc)

our hotel's "In the heart of the Gothic Quarter, close to the Cathedral and the Ramblas"

suggestions v welcome
Old 18 August 2004, 12:44 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

It sounds as if you're close to Las Ramblas which is one long street with everything from street vendors selling brightly coloured birds such as budgerigars to various clubs and tapas bars.

There is a cable car that runs from Montjuic to the port area which is worth it if you trust Spanish engineering that looks as if it was built at the turn of the century - the end of the 19th century that is.

They also run open top bus tours similar to those in London which will take in all the sites and although you'll feel a bit of a grockle it's well worth it. The port area also has a few bars but is mainly Burger Kings and cinemas.

The architecture by Gaudi is also amazing. Either way, you'll enjoy it.
Old 18 August 2004, 12:59 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't remember the name of the restaurant I went to but if you head down las Ramblas to the marina and then turn left skirting the marina there is a large, squat, box-shape building which has a fantastic seafood restaurant facing the marina. The sizling prawns in garlic & olive oil as a starter was amazing The name of the restaurant was something like "Mexta" or the like.
Old 18 August 2004, 01:34 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I spent 5 days there a few weeks ago! Las Ramblas is great, but be weary of the streets off it late at night at the marina end (pick pockets, drug dealers etc. It doesn't feel intimidating or dangerous but watch your bags/money.) Everywhere we go it seems Scoobess and I accidentally wander into the dodgy area getting hassled by drug dealers and pimps. ("That looks too touristy, let's go this way instead.")

The best seafood restaurants are by the marina. There are tour buses you can go on (and get on and off again when you like), these are damn handy for seeing the whole of the city (it's big!) and getting around. Tickets can be bought on the bus or by the marina at the end of the Ramblas.

As for food/nightlife, most things stop/close for Siesta in the afternoon around 3pm. Things pick up again at about 6 o'clock but the bars only serve Tapas at this time. Restaurants tend to serve better food after Tapas hours around 8pm, they eat very late in Barcelona, and the bars/clubs are open until late, very late.

At the top of Las Ramblas is a huge square which sees a lot of action in the evening - plenty of good bars here although it does get busy.

We only went to Barcelona to see Gaudi's architecture (which is absolutely amazing) but there is so much else to do there, 5 days wasn't enough time. Some of the queues to get into Gaudi buildings were large, so go early in the morning to beat them.

Oh, if you're flying you can get the train into Barcelona (Saints train station), I think it cost about 3 Euros or something ridiculously cheap like that and took 20 minutes. The taxi into central Barcelona took 10 minutes and cost 14 Euros. If you have the extra money get a taxi - the train from the airport doesn't stop centrally and a taxi can take you straight into the Gothic quarter.

There are loads of places to sit and drink outside on Las Ramblas but they are well expensive! Sit inside and the drink's half the price, unless you specifically want to sit on Las Ramblas and watch fat Americans go by I'd recommend you find a small bar off the main Ramblas. There's loads of them and the atmosphere is much better.

We saw 3 Scooby's in the 5 days we were there. A classic WRX Wagon, a blue Bugeye WRX and a newage STi rumbled past our hotel whilst we were having a meal. It's quite sad when you get to the point where you notice the flat four rumble before you even see the car, look at each other and say "That's a Scooby engine!".

If your girlfriend likes shoes or handbags beware, be-very-ware!! Scoobess managed to find a street with about 50 bloody shoe shops on, and 50 shops and 3 pairs of shoes later we finally dumped our weary souls in a bar to sample the many Cataluynan alcoholic beverages.

Have a great time, we loved it and want to go back.
Old 18 August 2004, 01:47 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I love that city
Old 18 August 2004, 03:55 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

visited it too many times to remember and can echo all comments so far.
If you want a nice romantic meal ask for a place called Quatre Gats (Four cats) restaurant superb food in old gothic quarter close to your hotel.
The menus were designed by picasso who was a frequent customer.
Old 18 August 2004, 04:53 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

I have just moved from Barcelona after living there for 18 months. Most of the places that have been mentioned so far are exclusively for tourists, expensive and pretty naff to be honest, especially Las Ramblas!

Don't be afraid to explore the backstreets, as that's where most of the best bars and restaurants are. Obviously, keep gold, cameras, expensive jewelery etc in the hotel and just take essentials with you - that way you won't stand out and look conspicuous. You can noramlly spot the tourists a mile off just by what they wear! Keep the shorts and sandals for the beach and leave the football tops for match day.

To start off, get a free street map from 'El Corte Ingles' the main department store in Plaza Catalunya, at the top of the Ramblas - this will keep you out of trouble!

The two main areas in the centre are 'El Raval', which is to the right of the Rambla as you face the sea, and 'Barrio Gotico' to the left. El Raval is more dodgy for the uninitiated, and has a lot of run down areas - I'd leave this until you are more familiar with the city.

Barrio Gotico on the other hand is an amazing maze of medieval back streets, hiding a vast array of treasures in the way of wicked bars and restaurants. You'll find the streets a little intimidating at first, as they are the original medieval narrow streets which seem an endless maze at first, so best to explore during the day. But at night, they're alive with loads of bars and eateries of all types, all crammed into little ancient buildings full of character. Plaza Reial is a good starting point and then all the bars stem off from there.

For daytime seafood, all the best restaurants are next to the small Marina in Barcelonetta, on 'Paseig de Borbo' not to be confused with the Port itself. These can be pricey and touristy, but there's a few better ones if you venture into the backstreets of Barcelonetta itself.

Also, not to be missed are the beach bars in Barcelonetta at night, which are scatterred along the beach and have live DJ's playing some wicked house sets.

For clubbing, the best club in Barcelona is called 'Terraza' and hosts amazing openair house nights featuring International DJ's til 6am. This is in 'Poble Espanol' which is on 'Mont Juic'.

Finally, if you're taking your lady, you have to get a taxi and go to Avenida Tibidabo, at the top of the tram line, which hosts a series of wicked bars which overlook the h=whole of Barcelona. Mirablau is my favourite, a very Chic bar that's open to 5am.

Hope there's enough to keep you busy! PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

LC.
Old 18 August 2004, 05:59 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

cheers guys.

I'll print this stuff off to take with us.