Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Random question - Malaysian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random question - Malaysian Airlines

Has anybody travelled with Malaysian airlines to the Far East or Australia in business class??

Just shelled out a fair amount of cash to do so to Australia in February and am wondering if anyone can let me know if I'm to expect the good the bad or the ugly....

Got the tickets very cheap compared to anywhere else I've ever seen. Minimally more than Economy Class.
Old 17 August 2004, 09:31 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Haven't used them, but a friend did a month or so back, with no adverse comments. Took off late, but not exactly the airline's fault!
Old 17 August 2004, 09:33 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
Haven't used them, but a friend did a month or so back, with no adverse comments. Took off late, but not exactly the airline's fault!

Cheers, its a start....

Never flew anything other than battery-hen class so I'm really quite looking forward to the flight - I usually dread it.
Old 17 August 2004, 09:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Excellent, Faultless, I couldn't recommend them highly enough We flew to Melbourne with them last year, great cabin staff, comfy seats, plenty of legroom, and by far the best airline food your gonna get.

PS, If you're stopping over in KL, I'd highly recommend doing so overnight, get out and see the city, it's well worth it if you can handle the humidity
Old 17 August 2004, 09:40 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Excellent, Faultless, I couldn't recommend them highly enough We flew to Melbourne with them last year, great cabin staff, comfy seats, plenty of legroom, and by far the best airline food your gonna get.

PS, If you're stopping over in KL, I'd highly recommend doing so overnight, get out and see the city, it's well worth it if you can handle the humidity
Unfortunately we are in KL for a mere 4 hours and are airport bound - but I wanna see Malaysia in the near future, I have a great interest in high buildings (that sounds geeky) so would love to go up the Petronas Towers ; as well as seeing the city on the whole. As for humidity, I did Miami in the month of August which was at 94% humidity and 34 degrees when we were there!!! Betty Swollocks r' us!!

Did you go business class?? Was the food favourable??
Old 17 August 2004, 09:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Never flew anything other than battery-hen class so I'm really quite looking forward to the flight - I usually dread it.
I've flown a lot, business and pleasure, with many different airlines/aircraft and am terrified of flying The return leg from KL to Manchester was the first time I've EVER got some sleep on a plane. Last time I went to Oz I went with Cathay, and I think I saw every film Jackie Chan had ever made up to that point
Old 17 August 2004, 09:44 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Unfortunately we are in KL for a mere 4 hours and are airport bound - but I wanna see Malaysia in the near future, I have a great interest in high buildings (that sounds geeky) so would love to go up the Petronas Towers ; as well as seeing the city on the whole. As for humidity, I did Miami in the month of August which was at 94% humidity and 34 degrees when we were there!!! Betty Swollocks r' us!!

Did you go business class?? Was the food favourable??
No we flew normal cattle class, the Petronas Towers are well worth a visit even though you only go half way up

The food was more than favourable, with their culture being a heady mix of christian, chinese & traditional moslem, you get a better quality and variety than you would on a 'western' flight, but obviously no bacon with the breakfast

PS as airports go, KL's not a bad one to be stuck in
Old 17 August 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

No we flew normal cattle class, the Petronas Towers are well worth a visit even though you only go half way up

The food was more than favourable, with their culture being a heady mix of christian, chinese & traditional moslem, you get a better quality and variety than you would on a 'western' flight, but obviously no bacon with the breakfast

PS as airports go, KL's not a bad one to be stuck in
KL airport has applied to be a modern wonder of the world along with company such as the CN Tower. Kinda look forward to that to!!

Sounds like I chose a good airline. Excellent.

Bit crap you can only go half way up the Petronas towers. Disappointed about that one.
Old 17 August 2004, 09:56 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Get yourself seats on the upper deck. Soooo much quieter and you tend to get better service.

Enjoy the grub and free booze.
Old 17 August 2004, 09:58 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by letdown
Get yourself seats on the upper deck. Soooo much quieter and you tend to get better service.

Enjoy the grub and free booze.
We booked quite early so hopefully top deck allocation will be first. Got horrible feeling I'm gonna be a bit tipsy on this flight.....well behaved through out though!!
Old 17 August 2004, 09:59 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Get on the phone and MAKE sure your on the upper deck. The great thing with business is you can get your seats set in stone before you get to the miserable trout at check-in.

Can I come ?
Old 17 August 2004, 10:02 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Malaysian regularly win awards for their cabin crew and comfort. They are one of the top rated airlines in the world, so you should have an excellent flight, oh and their business class is supposed to be superb too.
Old 17 August 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by letdown
Get on the phone and MAKE sure your on the upper deck. The great thing with business is you can get your seats set in stone before you get to the miserable trout at check-in.

Can I come ?

I shall call tonight!!

Can you come?? Depends really, are you female, attractive and a nice person??? if not I'll have to politely decline.....

Cheers for the advice, really looking forward to going as I have not been to Oz before.
Old 17 August 2004, 10:17 AM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Have flown many times malaysian business class, but have recently made the upgrade to 1st, flying about 4 times a year to the east. They are definitly one of the best and as the seats are being up-graded to full sleeper seats in business over the next 12 months, then the airline will be even better. Food is excellent as is the service. The only thing I have noticed is that the business class always seems to be full nowadays. They also have excellent airport lounges.

As said before try to get your seats booked on the upper deck.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 17 August 2004, 10:20 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boarder1
Have flown many times malaysian business class, but have recently made the upgrade to 1st, flying about 4 times a year to the east. They are definitly one of the best and as the seats are being up-graded to full sleeper seats in business over the next 12 months, then the airline will be even better. Food is excellent as is the service. The only thing I have noticed is that the business class always seems to be full nowadays. They also have excellent airport lounges.

Hope that helps.

Mark

It does. Thanks very much. Get top deck seats - the call will be made tonight. According to the website, in business and first, the food is served on "Fine Bone China".....thats pretty bling
Old 17 August 2004, 10:21 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Hope that helps.

Mark
Christ, upgraded to first....you go 4 times a year?? Must cost a bomb!!
Old 17 August 2004, 10:32 AM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Does not really cost that much extra (company pays for it). As I have an office out there, I can buy my tickets in Singapore, so I always have a ticket from london to KL/Singapore, the ticket usually costs around £2500 open return, where here you are looking to pay almost £4000 for it. So only about 4-500 pounds more expensive than business.

Mark
Old 17 August 2004, 10:36 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Does not really cost that much extra (company pays for it). As I have an office out there, I can buy my tickets in Singapore, so I always have a ticket from london to KL/Singapore, the ticket usually costs around £2500 open return, where here you are looking to pay almost £4000 for it. So only about 4-500 pounds more expensive than business.

Mark

If company pays.....!! I don't blame you.

I got return, in February to Sydeny, via KL, return flight for £1780 pp. Cheap when you think battery-hen class is £1200 !!
Old 17 August 2004, 12:30 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Whilst you're in Sydney, make sure you do the bridge climb. When we went, we did the last one of the day, it was dark by the time we reached the top and the view was awesome

PS you may only be able to get halfway up the Petronas towers, the bottom deck of the bridge in actual fact, but even that has you looking down at every other building in KL
Old 17 August 2004, 12:38 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I flew Malaysian to KL last year and did a few internal flights with them. Was flying economy but would recommend them, good food and service so I assume its good up the front.

The internal flights always left late, apparently because they wait until the plane is full be fore departing!

Whilst in KL did the Petronas Towers and KL Tower, the Chinese market is fun, cheap "genuine" watches, designer gear.

Preferred KL to Singapore.

Oh and eating out is cheap too.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:42 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Whilst you're in Sydney, make sure you do the bridge climb. When we went, we did the last one of the day, it was dark by the time we reached the top and the view was awesome

PS you may only be able to get halfway up the Petronas towers, the bottom deck of the bridge in actual fact, but even that has you looking down at every other building in KL

They (Petronas) look fantastic in pics. 10 days ago I was standing at 1500ft on the sky pod of the CN Tower.....!! Thats high though the Eiffel Tower is a far more overwhelming spectacle. Its awesome.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:46 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Flew MA to Langkawi in Club (upstairs) back in June. Going out was awesome - the most attentive, unobtrusive service I've ever had. There were only about 10 people upstairs altogether so the staff/passenger ration was fantastic.

Coming back it was bursting and they were short-staffed but still did a stirling job.

If you're going from Heathrow make sure you get there early to maximise time in the MA lounge. Free everything and the catering is superb.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Kav
Old 17 August 2004, 12:49 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Flew MA to Langkawi in Club (upstairs) back in June. Going out was awesome - the most attentive, unobtrusive service I've ever had. There were only about 10 people upstairs altogether so the staff/passenger ration was fantastic.

Coming back it was bursting and they were short-staffed but still did a stirling job.

If you're going from Heathrow make sure you get there early to maximise time in the MA lounge. Free everything and the catering is superb.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Kav
Business class on Malysian is called "Golden Club". Full Chav innit!!

I'll get there a good 4 hours before departure and get w&nkerfaced in the lounge..... just kidding.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:54 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

I'll get there a good 4 hours before departure
Not nearly long enough Get there a day early and claim confusion/elation.

Cheers
Kav
Old 17 August 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Not nearly long enough Get there a day early and claim confusion/elation.

Cheers
Kav

....as well as loads of Champagne and stuff. Lovely.
Old 17 August 2004, 05:25 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Remember to claim your frequent flyer miles too. A long haul flight from UK to Australia in business class will get you quite a few miles. Most Asian airlines will have better cabin service than Western ones as they tend to 'retire' the older ones much earlier, so you tend to get to young fresh faces, as typified by the 'Singapore girl' of Singapore Airlines. Also, the labour cost is lower, so they can afford to splurge on things like inflight entertainment and catering.