Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Consumer Rights, or whatever its called?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 01:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Rights, or whatever its called?

I need help urgently!

The missus bought some laminate flooring a few weeks ago for the lads room. She got it from B&Q. No probs, the floor went down and everyones happy

Last week the missus went to B&Q to get some more for our daughters room but found out that B&Q have discontinued the line so she went hunting, with piece of floor in hand to find something similar.

After a long search she came across floors 2 go. She matched up the piece of floor with one that they had. Although this was a lot dearer than the B&Q she thought the match was acceptable.

I went with her on Saturday to have a look and agreed that yes it did look very similar in colour and pattern so i coughed up £150.00 via credit card. The lad in the shop said that they only had 3 boxes in and that we had to go back the next day Sunday / yesterday to pick up the remaining boxes.

When we got home and looked at the floor in the lads room and compared it with the new stuff in natural light, it looked nothing like a match

I phoned up yesterday to say that in natural light it doesn't look anything like what we had expected to which i got this reply.

"We have sold you the floor as seen and in good faith, there is nothing defective or wrong with the floor therefore we have fulfilled our obligation to you and as such we will not offer you a refund"

I said the usual stuff etc etc but i wasn't getting anywhere and decided to go down there and see the manager. When i got there, true to form the lad said sorry the managers not here and you aren't having your money back. So then i asked him for the balance of floor promised to us.

15 minutes later he came from the store and said that they had delivered the wrong floor and that i would have to go back again.

Where do i stand, i just want my money back

IIRC i didnt see any sign stating their "policy"

Help please
Old 09 August 2004, 01:51 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I think the shopkeeper is correct in that there is nothing wrong with the floor etc, so he doesn't have to refund the money. It's only places like Argos that offer unconditional refunds on most goods, and this is over and above their rights to you.

Your best bet would be to try and exchange it for another type of floor in the same shop - they'd be more willing to do that I'd imagine....is that possible?
Old 09 August 2004, 01:52 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

He was correct in his initial statement as the floor was not faulty. However, as he has now failed to meet the agred delivery time for the balance of the order they are now in breach of contract and are now required by law to offer you a full REFUND (not credit note) for the whole lot.

Sorted

TONY
Old 09 August 2004, 01:54 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

imlach

The problem mate is that none of the other flooring is anything like the existing stuff

If thats true what you say i'm fooked then
Old 09 August 2004, 01:54 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

To follow on - if he still gives you the attitude, contact Trading Standards and put the transaction 'Into Dispute' with your credit card co.

TONY
Old 09 August 2004, 01:55 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth
He was correct in his initial statement as the floor was not faulty. However, as he has now failed to meet the agred delivery time for the balance of the order they are now in breach of contract and are now required by law to offer you a full REFUND (not credit note) for the whole lot.

Sorted

TONY
AHA
imlach
Scooby Regular

However, as he has now failed to meet the agred delivery time for the balance of the order they are now in breach of contract and are now required by law to offer you a full REFUND (not credit note) for the whole lot.
No, that's not 100% watertight either....so long as the goods can be delivered in an acceptable amount of time, the shop is still allowed to refuse a refund. The definition of 'acceptable time' is the bit where the law is vague

Of course, this is where goodwill comes in......
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

I aim to please
Old 09 August 2004, 01:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Is the floor you have taken home still in the original & unwrapped packaging etc?
Old 09 August 2004, 01:57 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Is the floor you have taken home still in the original & unwrapped packaging etc?
Because it would need to be
Old 09 August 2004, 01:59 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Company as big as Floors 2 Go. That attitude suprises me. You never can tell....
Old 09 August 2004, 01:59 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Yes mate although one of the packs had already had the plastic heat wrap opened at the front. I wasn't bothered about that as the floor was okay when i checked the top one
Old 09 August 2004, 02:00 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I'm sure shops like this get people coming back all the time with stuff like this, and are perhaps taking this stance because it is costing them....

Next time, ask for a sample to compare at home first before buying
Old 09 August 2004, 02:03 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I'm sure shops like this get people coming back all the time with stuff like this, and are perhaps taking this stance because it is costing them....
Didn't think of that. Musn't be much fun to work there. Must get this sort of problem daily.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:04 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well it sounds to me like you have a good case. Start off playing Mr Nice Guy and turn up the heat slowly until you get your money back. Quoting the relevant legislation and sub-sections always works a treat Do a little research first: -

Sale of Goods Act
Consumer Credit Act

Good luck

TONY
Old 09 August 2004, 02:04 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Company as big as Floors 2 Go. That attitude suprises me. You never can tell....
Andrew

The lad that saw me when i went in Yesterday was a complete w@nker.

When i asked him for the balance of the floor he said "what floor". I said the floor we were just talking about. He said "i dunno" so then i asked him if he would check for me, he said "you'll have to wait there" and came back 15 minutes later and just looked at me and said "NO"

It took me another 5 mins to get out of him the rest of the sentence

TBH with the heat yesterday (Scoob said 32 degs) i just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of this pr1ck otherwise i'd of been getting out of a cell this morning and not my own bed
Old 09 August 2004, 02:09 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Well it sounds to me like you have a good case. Start off playing Mr Nice Guy and turn up the heat slowly until you get your money back. Quoting the relevant legislation and sub-sections always works a treat Do a little research first: -

Sale of Goods Act
Consumer Credit Act
...but the problem here is, the goods ARE fit for purpose!! Both the above only cover problems with said purchase....

If they take an unreasonable amount of time to source the remaining stock, that is your only getout clause here.....and unreasonable usually means 28 days and above....
Old 09 August 2004, 02:09 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

News just in

The wifes cousin is a trouble shooter for Ikea and he is going to run with it. He says, given his knowledge he knows what to say and do

Fookin hope so
Old 09 August 2004, 02:13 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
The wifes cousin is a trouble shooter for Ikea and he is going to run with it. He says, given his knowledge he knows what to say and do
...cue the stories of Ikea never giving refunds.... hehehehe

Most would probably prefer your wife's cousin to dedicate more of his time to Ikea refunds
Old 09 August 2004, 02:14 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Floors 2 Go have gone through massive expansion very quickly. Maybe this has been at the cost of proper training and adequate management, although I understand we are talking about 1 branch here.
All the same from your description a letter to the head office would be an excellent idea. An even better one would be to call the branch concerned and ask them for the complaints dept address. They'll no doubt wish to know the nature of your complaint and this maybe a further avenue to recompence. If they didn't ask then it gives you even more reason to write a letter.
You've not been treated well at all.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Yep,

Big naked Danish bloke outside F2G's front door offering to show customers 'his tattoos', I'm sure they'll sort out a refund in seconds

J.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:18 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

can't wait for the next instalment, this is better than eastenders!
Old 09 August 2004, 02:18 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Yep,

Big naked Danish bloke outside F2G's front door offering to show customers 'his tattoos', I'm sure they'll sort out a refund in seconds

J.

LOL or Swedish
Old 09 August 2004, 09:43 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

No, that's not 100% watertight either....so long as the goods can be delivered in an acceptable amount of time, the shop is still allowed to refuse a refund. The definition of 'acceptable time' is the bit where the law is vague

Of course, this is where goodwill comes in......
Also, they may have a clause in their T's&C's of sale that says something along the lines of "time shall not be of essence", which basically means that they can't be held to delivery times quoted.

John.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:09 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are correct in stating that there is nothing wrong with the floor and don't have to play ball with you, BUT, he said that the rest of the flooring would be in the next day - it wasn't - this is your escape route.

As someone said, get your credit card company to put the item into dispute and tell them you want a full refund as they promised the other required packs of flooring within 24hours and they have failed to honour that.

Once, when MFI were total sh1te (maybe they still are??) I returned a couple of bedside cabinets which had all the wrong parts in - got a **** salesman who thought himself smart - I stood outside the shop front with my half assembled bedside cabinets and commenced to give a commentary on the wonderful MFI quality ....................... within 10 minutes I had my refund PLUS petrol money!!

Pete
Old 10 August 2004, 12:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I said '**** Salesman' I didn't mean the lad who sold the door ***** either!!

Pete