Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New toy ;)

http://www.turboxs.com/Dtec/dtec.shtml
Old 09 August 2004, 01:34 PM
buzzuk
Scooby Regular

very nice does anyone know if there is a kit/ software to do the same thing with an ipaq?

cheers
Old 09 August 2004, 01:37 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

cool!
Old 09 August 2004, 02:09 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Buzz (and others),

Looks like a standard OBDII diagnostic reader, just interfaced to a GBA (which is pretty cool in itself).

There are a number of cheap(ish) solutions for IPAQ kit out there. You can pick up an OBDII converter off ebay and/or overseas for around 40-50 quid, or build your own for a little less.

There is some open source software (actually a few of them) available on Sourceforge that can be used with the interface. Do a search on Sourceforge for OBD.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:48 PM
buzzuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Buzz (and others),

Looks like a standard OBDII diagnostic reader, just interfaced to a GBA (which is pretty cool in itself).

There are a number of cheap(ish) solutions for IPAQ kit out there. You can pick up an OBDII converter off ebay and/or overseas for around 40-50 quid, or build your own for a little less.

There is some open source software (actually a few of them) available on Sourceforge that can be used with the interface. Do a search on Sourceforge for OBD.
Thanks m8 could i be cheeky and ask how you connect it to scoob and what you need to do it
Old 09 August 2004, 03:00 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Yes you can be cheeky

You need the hardware box which converts OBDII signals from the OBDII port to standard RS-232 signals. The hardware box will connect to the OBDII port via a lead with an OBDII connector on one end. There will be another cable that will connect to your IPAQ/Laptop (different connector end for each) and then the software to run on the IPAQ/Laptop to convert the RS-232 signals to pretty pictures and tables of data.

Will depend on what year Scoob you have and whether or not it has an OBDII port. Can't remember what year they were introduced. The port (if you have one) is somewhere around the underside of the steering column.

More information available here for OBDII info and here for the hardware you need.

Info on the packages and application list available here.

If you want to talk to an IPAQ with this sort of setup, you'll need a data cable that will allow the hardware box to talk to your IPAQ via RS-232. Should be able to find one of these cables somewhere. Other companies make similar boxes that can talk direct to PocketPC setups. Can't remember where/which though, just remember seeing them in the past. If you have a serial RS-232 cradle for your IPAQ, that's basically the sort of lead you'll need (I think).

Last edited by Hanslow; 09 August 2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09 August 2004, 03:09 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Found the page with the IPAQ stuff on. Uses the Scantool kit, but provides the cables you need. Remember to check that it'll work with your car (i.e. it has an OBD-II port) before ordering anything. If in doubt, email the companies, they should be able to help.

Here's the IPAQ application stuff.
Old 10 August 2004, 01:14 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Can someone confirm what Scoobs are OBD-II compliant?

As far as I understood it

< MY99: No - Select monitor only
MY99 - 00: Yes - Select monitor and OBD-II (JECS ECUs AE801,2,3)
MY01 >: Yes - and select monitor? (Denso ECUs)

However I also thought OBD-II was very slow and didn't provide all the information available from the ECU? Hence devices like SECS which use the Subaru proprietary select monitor protocol are much better for realtime data display.

Anyway I'll have to go and do some reading up, sounds interesting
Old 10 August 2004, 01:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've built the scantool package, and it works. Using the ELM323 I can get around 4 updates a second on stuff like boost pressure. PSI3 it ain't , but it is useful for some things. Pics when I get a chance.

I am trying to find more information about the Sel Mon protocol, as this is what the PSI3 uses, and also DeltaDash. The update rate is a lot faster, but it's a proprietary protocol that is slightly awkward to speak to using a UART as it is synchronous. The current plan is to use an Atmel Mega8 AVR chip to translate from Synch to Asynch...

The results will be open source.

I need to kick-start this project off again, as it's taken a hiatus recently what with the birth of my first son! - but as he's coming up to a year old, I need to extract my finger.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 10 August 2004, 01:20 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

We ought to start a thread in Technical to share ideas...
Old 10 August 2004, 01:26 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

That rules me out then Nick cos I don't have a Scoob anymore

I still want to make a mini-itx based car-puter, with 7" touch screen, hard disk, mp3, satnav, data logging and display.....just can't be arsed to do it

Write a nice VC++ windows front end or linux front end, have 3D opengl screensavers and the like running Don't want to spend any money on it though as I know I'll never get round to finishing (or is that starting) it

I know OBD-II isn't fast, but at least it would/should/could be car independent so could be moved from one vehicle to another relatively easily.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sounds horribly familiar - I've got the stuff to do it, except the GPS receiver, but haven't yet found time.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:25 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I've got plenty of time....I just squander it on games and slobbing
Old 13 August 2004, 10:24 AM
Tebo
Scooby Regular

I have been investigating OBD2 the last few days as well, and was considering doing something along these lines.

a couple of links for you:

http://www.skpang.co.uk/ - sells the cables and circuits to allow OBD2 connection

http://www.scoobymonitor.co.uk/ - some info on the select monitor protocol

I have never seen an ECU reprogrammed but I guess its also done via this port.

Thanks
Tebo

p.s. I think it could be worth polling our resources and starting this up in technical as chiark has mentioned
Old 14 August 2004, 01:58 AM
330uk
Scooby Regular

How much does this cost ?
There is no price listed on the site.