common sense practical measures

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 10:42 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up common sense practical measures

Shadow Secretary of State for Transport Damian Green says:

"What we are proposing is a series of common sense practical measures which will get the government off the back of the sensible driver and restore confidence in the way we enforce the speed limit."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3529864.stm

Gets my vote.

UB
Old 03 August 2004, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a very much fairer attitude towards motoring to me too.

Les
Old 03 August 2004, 11:28 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How long 'till the next election?

Bring it on Tony!
Old 03 August 2004, 11:32 AM
JDM
BANNED

If only I could believe what they say. The bottom line is they are all liars, I imagine they'd say anything in order to get my vote, what's the betting their proposals would be forgotten as soon as they get into office.

All liars, none of them get my vote, particularly not Blair and his corrupt and discredited party.

Where is the "none of the above" box on the ballot paper?
Old 03 August 2004, 11:38 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JDM
If only I could believe what they say. The bottom line is they are all liars, I imagine they'd say anything in order to get my vote, what's the betting their proposals would be forgotten as soon as they get into office.

All liars, none of them get my vote, particularly not Blair and his corrupt and discredited party.

Where is the "none of the above" box on the ballot paper?
That's the kind of attitude that will ensure a Stalinist style Police State if Blair and his cronies are allowed a third term.
Old 03 August 2004, 11:42 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I cant help thinking that the tories will have a complete cessation of the sighting of new cameras and then with the 40 - 50 million raised in fines, pump that into traffic police with lasers etc etc

How else could they fund more traffic cops?
Old 03 August 2004, 11:45 AM
JDM
BANNED

Uncle Buck, I can't bring myself to vote for the tories (I hate them and what they stand for almost as much as bliar) and I can't vote for blair (obviously), I don't want to vote for the wet end liberals and I don't like *****.

I'm afraid that there is nobody for me to vote for at all. Can't see a solution to this problem so I probably won't even go to the polling station.
Old 03 August 2004, 11:47 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I'd rather see more traffic police(persons) than more cameras. At least there is a chance they could stop the pissed/uninsured/dangerous rather than just anyone who is over some arbitrary limit.

Steve
Old 03 August 2004, 11:53 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
I'd rather see more traffic police(persons) than more cameras. At least there is a chance they could stop the pissed/uninsured/dangerous rather than just anyone who is over some arbitrary limit.

Steve

........................... but Steve they will only be able to fund it by creating more revenue which is why i think there will be more lasers etc on the road. Agreed that yes it could get hold of the uninsured / pissed drivers but there is no money in that The only way they can "pay their way" is by picking up drivers for doing a few mph over the limit
Old 03 August 2004, 11:58 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

JDM - I agree it's far from ideal, but at least you know what you're getting. With this current power crazed PC mob you just don't know what mad cap schemes they will come up with next in the name of 'reform'.

Look what they've already done to the country. Not to mention making us the a prime terror target for muslim madmen etc, etc. It's essential they are got rid of a.s.a.p.

UB
Old 04 August 2004, 08:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

JDM,

Do you actually know what the Tories stand for or are you just totally biased against them come what may. But you know what you can expect from this government from recent history. It is true however that politician seems to be another word for liar. The system as it is though gives power to govern to the politicians.

If you just throw it all up in the air and take the easy way out by not using your vote, then what UB said about a future for us all is pretty accurate. You have to show your protest at the government in charge at the time by positively voting them out, that is the only bit of power you have, and it is extremely important that you can do that. If you find the replacement government does not fit in with your requirements, then vote them out next time. That way, governments find that they cannot get away with taking advantage of their power to the detriment of the country.

Les
Old 04 August 2004, 08:26 AM
JDM
BANNED

I'm opposed to the tories to some extent because of their past record, to a greater extent because I don't agree with the few policies they've advocated during their period in opposition.

The problem is that I'm also largely against everything labour have done. There is literally nobody for me to vote for under our current system which seems to come down to a choice between 2 evils. A third option exists, throw my vote down the toilet voting for the Liberals whose policies I also disagree with.

Therefore I won't be voting for anyone unless a protest candidate (like Martin Bell did in the Hamiltons consituency) stands in my area.

Thought I'd add I'd be happy to vote for a single issue party ie abolishing revenue cameras, no to road charging etc.