Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Handed in my resigntion - made to feel bad

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 10:41 AM
Scooby_WR1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handed in my resigntion - made to feel bad

How **** do I feel. Resigned from my job yesterday and the company are going off on one about me leaving them in the lurch. Talking about the training they provided etc... Feel really sick at the moment.

I don't feel too good in myself at the moment and know when we have a meeting later there going to keep putting pressure on me until I snap... probably end up in tears and walk out.

Any advice or ideas about what i can say....
Old 03 August 2004, 10:44 AM
ChrisB

Why are you leaving? Better position elsewhere?
Old 03 August 2004, 10:46 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Tell 'em where to shove it.

It's *your life*.

UB
Old 03 August 2004, 10:46 AM
yoza
BANNED

Just relax.

What ever they throw at you just let it go in one ear and out of the other.

DONT break down in tears, they will love that.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:48 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Don't worry you. In the current environment, they'd have got rid of you in an instant without even thinking three times (once more than thinking twice, but only just) and all's fair in love and business.

You've made the difficult decision to go, which is the hardest thing in the world to do IMHO, so stick it out. The company has a contract with you which either party can terminate under the grounds of the contract, and you're exercising your right to do so.

Of course, if they *really* want to keep you, then you need to tell them what you don't like, and what they have to do to keep you, but personally I wouldn't even bother trying that route as it will just lead to animosity and the company (and colleagues) thinking you're after either special treatment or simply trying to get more money - which is inevitably never what leaving is about apart from in extreme circumstances.

Chin up, it'll work out right in the end. If the company is so dependent upon you that they can't continue without you, then they've done something horribly, horribly wrong: no-one should be able to leave a company in the lurch that much!
Cheers,
Nick.
elgordano
Scooby Regular

ask for a 50% pay rise
that will soon stop them asking you to come back.
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The thing is, you have to look out for number one in this world and age.

I worked for a company before where everything was lovely-lovely as long as they were doing alright, but as soon as it started going a bit pearshaped the management etc showed their true colours, so to speak.

To be honest I don't think any other company is any different either, they will all suck you dry and spit you out once they are finished with you, so don't feel bad about leaving.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:55 AM
Scooby_WR1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks people, and i keep telling myself most of the things you've just said i'm just a worrier I guess. Wouldn't surprise me if they were willing to give me a significant payrise however I have found out at very expesive emotional cost that money doesn't make you happy...

I work abroad and had enough of it, found a job back home near family and friends and now because of being away my ex-girl friend.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:55 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_WR1
How **** do I feel. Resigned from my job yesterday and the company are going off on one about me leaving them in the lurch. Talking about the training they provided etc... Feel really sick at the moment.
You don't sign up for a hitch like you do in the army. If they wanted to hold you in for longer they should have put you on three months' notice. If they're concerned about the training, they should have put a clause in your contract saying you're liable to pay back a decreasing percentage of the training cost should you leave within 12 months. The extent of your relationship with them is defined in your contract. They're not doing you any favours, and you're not doing them any. You do the work, they pay. Simple as that. If you want to leave, you invoke the notice clause.
Old 03 August 2004, 11:00 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You've made a decision based on what you want out of life, which is exactly the right reason to do something.

I've worked away from home for a while, and it soon grates. Now I've got a family, I'd hate it
Old 03 August 2004, 11:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a shame that companies have binned all thoughts of loyalty towards their workforce these days. In the days when loyalty by the people who worked at a firm was equally repaid by the management, the atmosphere was one of good teamwork, the firm did a lot better in the effort they got from their staff and there was a feeling of confidence by those who worked there in respect of their jobs.

The modern ethos of "Work for us and we will pay you well until economics dictate that we must dump you" only reduces the overall efficiency and the firm's output.

Les
Old 03 August 2004, 11:08 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

As you have already said - Money can't buy you hapiness and you only have one life - The one you are living !

It aint a rehearsal - They'll soon get over losing you (and You'll be happier).

If they keep banging on at you tell them to **** off OR give you a 300% payrise !
Old 03 August 2004, 11:11 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Bludy cheek.........who do they think they are trying to dictate to you whether you can leave their employment or not, they`ll be telling you to jump soon and you`ll say "how high" (get my drift).....I know I certainly wouldn't back down unless I got a hefty wage rise too.

Don`t take any notice of them they know you are a good worker and are trying to play on it.

STICK BY YOUR GUNS...........
Old 03 August 2004, 12:10 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Employers are only interested in you making them money - tell them that if you were happier in your job then you wouldn't have considered going.

Don't let them run a guilt trip on you - just switch yourself to "I'm leaving and I couldn't give a flying f**k about you" mode.
Old 03 August 2004, 12:42 PM
Scooby_WR1
Scooby Newbie

but at the same time I don't want to burn my bridges, it's a very big company and would be stupid to p1ss people off... Still waiting for the meeting probably won't even happen today after getting myself so worked up. Fed up of feeling sick, first the split with GF now aggro over leaving a job.

Talk about having a feeling sorry for myself day....
Old 03 August 2004, 12:49 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

If they offer you really great terms to stay, 50% pay rise, bonuses, new girlfriend. How long before they start clawing it all back one way or another.
If the training really is an issue they may ask you to pay for some of the courses etc they have sent you on [depending on how long ago you took them].
Good Luck
Old 03 August 2004, 12:58 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I handed mine in a couple of weeks back, they were very good about it, but I still feel bad. At the end of the day, you don't owe them anything, it's a job, pure and simple!!
They paid for the training, same as they would have had to with anyone else, or pay extra to get someone in with the necessary training.
Old 03 August 2004, 01:32 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

Put it this way -

Do you live to work, or work to live???
Old 03 August 2004, 02:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

but at the same time I don't want to burn my bridges, it's a very big company and would be stupid to p1ss people off...
I doubt they are going to come and knee-cap you due to the fact that you've resigned

I'd feel much happier about leaving a big company rather than leaving a 2 man business and watch it go down the tubes......

You ain't indeispensable mate and they'll have someone filling your shoes within nano-seconds..

Move on (and that goes for your ex too)

Pick yourself up, shake yourself down and let the good times roll, cos you are a long time dead
Old 03 August 2004, 02:27 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Assuming you are 100% convinced about your decision to leave:

1. Write down all the reasons why you want to go, to remind yourself.
2. If they are left in the lurch then that's their fault. Even the chief exec should be able to leave and not cause the downfall of the organisation.
3. If they've made it plain that you really are that indespensible (fools), then screw them for a huge payrise if you decide to stay.
4. Don't just stay for the pay. Over 60% of people who stay in their jobs due to a counter offer leave within the next 6 months as money wasn't the main reason they were leaving.
5. Be positive about what you have gained from the organisation - and thank them for it.

Good luck!
Old 03 August 2004, 03:09 PM
Scooby_WR1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again everyone, still no meeting as yet expect it will be tomorrow now. Feel kind of sad I have to come to Scoobynet for advice. I know there have been one or two threads recently with people feeling down and always think its a sad situation for someone when they don't have the friends to talk to about stuff. I know exactly how they feel. i'm trying
Old 03 August 2004, 09:19 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Been there and done it twice with AXA.

First time happened under a boss I really liked and regarded highly, basically said what would I want, I put an offer on the table and he accepted it with the words "I knew you would come up with something different and imaginative". Kind of gave me a message just by those words.

The second time was a similar but different conversation with a french boss who offered a lot more money, and also applied pressure asking me to work a lot more notice than I needed to, to save their bacon. I was seriously going to leave but the company I was moving to lied to me, this became apparent and I would never go work for a company that I knew was willing to lie to a prospective employee before they even started. (I was reporting above my weight so to speak and was effectively filling my own and bosses job).

1 year later I inherited the boss from hell and he made my life sheer living hell at AXA until I thankgod got the opportunity to leave. He was also french and was reporting to the french guy referred to above. The guy referred to above did nothing to stop the new guy taking the **** even though he had previously given me nothing but positive praise.

The grass may well be greener on the other side, or it may be brown and dying, but at least its different grass

robski

p.s. Never work for the french. I have never EVER encountered such a racist, lying, bunch of work shy fops. Why the hell we didnt leave them to the germans is beyond me, as once I passed the childhood stereotypes I had been force fed with I realised how similar to attitudes and everything them seem to be to the british.