Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WooHoo! Kids are away for a long weekend but what should we do?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2004, 11:24 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WooHoo! Kids are away for a long weekend but what should we do?

We had some good news from her mum and dad this weekend. They are taking the kids to Portsmouth at the end of August to go on some "Navy Day's" thing down there.

This leaves me and the missus a nice looooooong weekend to fill. I'd like to do something nice just for the two of us while the kids are away

Problem is i dont know what to do 1) a weekend in a nice hotel with pool, sauna etc etc 2) a city break say in York or something like that, 3) something completely different.

I'd like to stay in the UK and obviously have a plan b if it pi55es it down. Has anyone got any good experiences of somewhere they've been. I'd like it to be a complete surprise for the wife and for it to be something / somewhere we've not done before.

BTW dont say London break as the missus is from darn sarf and she said she wouldn't like to go back down there as she hates it

BTW we're from the NW

TIA

Old 02 August 2004, 11:36 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Nurburgring!
Old 02 August 2004, 11:49 AM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

Definetely go for the spa break idea. You could go relax for a few days and chill so that when the kids come back, you'll be all refreshed and feeling great! Im sure your missus would be well impressed with a relaxing break.

Must admit, if it was me i'd love me husband to go for the spa break idea. Just giving my opinion on this but have no idea where to go!! Sorry....not much help really!!
Old 02 August 2004, 12:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I know you said you wanted to stay in uk, but seriously consider a european city break. Me and the missus did Paris for our 10th anniversary, had a real easy flight from mcr to c-d-g airport, then train into paris. Great weekend, did all the usual tourist stuff, and knackered after walking so far!
Probably cheaper than staying in hotels in uk too
Alternatively, we've also done the "LAST DROP INN" near Bolton. B&B + evening meal on the saturday night. Fantastic old world hotel, great room, 4 poster bed , massive breakfast, and some excellent driving roads in the moors above bolton
Not cheap, but well worth it for a relaxing weekend break.
chris.
Old 02 August 2004, 12:25 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Nurburgring........................... I wish!

Party Bird, exactly my thoughts my missus is a qualified beutician and as such does all this pampering stuff to other women. I thought it might be nice for her to be on the recieving end for once. I'm just not sure what i'll be doing when she is sat in a bath of seaweed for two hours Isn't there a nice place in Yorkshire called the Old Swan inn or something?

CW42, hi mate I have stayed at the Last Drop and yes it is a nice place but i would like to go a bit further a field. Ideally somewhere like York, bit of history, plenty to occupy your mind etc etc.

Was thinking about Edinburgh but that may be a bit far just for a night or so. I've never been to Scarborough, whats that like?
Old 02 August 2004, 01:27 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

This gaff is *exactly* what you want. We've been there this weekend, 1st weekend away from my 1 year old daughter for us both.

www.seaham-hall.com

it's a lux hotel and spa.
Old 02 August 2004, 01:56 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Stevem2k

Your a star mate

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Seems a tad expensive but what the hell it looks fantastic. I'd be interested if there are any girly SN'ers who'd think this would be a good idea

Party Bird, is this the kind of thing you would like?

Thanks again
Old 02 August 2004, 02:30 PM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

This place looks absolutely amazing! There seems a lot of things on offer, and to be honest with all the treatments etc, i dont think you'll have to worry that your missus wont enjoy it with all that stuff to do!

Plus its not the sort of place where you can do things during the day and feel rushed to fit in as much as possible (as what seems to happen on many weeks away in a city or something as there so many things to see and do!). It seems like a place for DEFINATE relaxation which i sure all women would appreciate now and again! (hoping my other half will read this now...lol!)

I couldnt see where the prices were for a stay? How much is it per night?
Old 02 August 2004, 02:42 PM
ChrisB

I couldnt see where the prices were for a stay? How much is it per night?
Anything from £195 per room (for two) per night to £565!

If you fancy Scotland, I've always liked the look of this place - Lodge on the Loch
Old 02 August 2004, 02:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Party Bird, is this the kind of thing you would like?

So that's Party Bird sorted, what are you getting me?
Old 02 August 2004, 02:47 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Party Bird, You DONT want to know the prices

I have to admit it does offer everything. Think i shall get Mr. Flexible Friend out but what to go for in terms of room

Prices Here

Anyone any ideas on the best room to get
Old 02 August 2004, 02:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

PMSL This is my Sharking thread Matt

*** OFF !
Old 02 August 2004, 02:49 PM
ChrisB

I thought the Escapist rooms looked very very swish.
Old 02 August 2004, 02:51 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Anything from £195 per room (for two) per night to £565!

If you fancy Scotland, I've always liked the look of this place - Lodge on the Loch

Chris

That looks great aswell, have you stayed there, is there plenty going on and things to do.
Old 02 August 2004, 02:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lol

How about this
Old 02 August 2004, 03:01 PM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

I know this isnt probably what you wanted to hear, but the Decadent room would be the one id go for (if money was no option for me that is, he he!). But to be honest the Cool rooms look really nice too! I know I'd be happy with something like that.

Bearing in mind the price.....hope this doesnt sound too silly, but the money you'd spend on a couple of days at the most expensive rooms in the hotel, you could've had a few days away - flown somewhere hot and sunny for probably the same price! But i suppose when you do the spa break....you'd wanna do the works wouldnt you!
Old 02 August 2004, 03:02 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

We stayed in 'Cool' ( overlooking the terrace ) , our friends were in 'Sexy' ( gnd floor looking towards the spa ) . Both were lovely.

Seriously, it's not cheap, but it is absolutely perfect if you want to relax.

Highly reccommend the 55 minute muscle melt massage btw.

Steve
Old 02 August 2004, 03:02 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I'm not a golfer Matt I dont see the point of hitting a small ball as far as you can and then going to hunt for it

That Lodge on the Loch looks really nice and i would imagine the roads to get there would be pretty slim and twisty
Old 02 August 2004, 03:03 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Chris

That looks great aswell, have you stayed there, is there plenty going on and things to do.
I've not stayed at the Lodge but I have stayed at one of the sister hotels a few years back - The Isles of Glencoe. I thought that was a great place. View was stunning and the food was excellent. I'd expect it to be very good - I want to take my misses there at some point in the future

They have a PDF of top things to do that you can download.
Old 02 August 2004, 03:06 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I think there comes a point were you say "Jeez i could go to Spain for a few days for that money" but i thought she might appreciate something special. Dont get me wrong, i too would seriously consider a few days in gaurenteed sunshine etc etc abroad but would that be "special" enough. Relaxation is the key and i dont see all that flight / check in etc etc being very theraputic (sp)
Old 02 August 2004, 03:09 PM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

Good point Buzzer.....as i mentioned earlier - when doing this sort of break you want to make the most of it by having the maximum amount of relaxation possible, and that would certainly make it special!
Old 02 August 2004, 03:11 PM
ChrisB

I know what you mean Buzzer

I took my girlfriend away to the Grizedale Lodge for her birthday at the start of July. Small place but excellent and very personal service from the owners. It's amazingly quiet at night once the day visitors from the forest go home. I can recommend a couple of very good places to eat as well.
Old 02 August 2004, 03:11 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Just checked Chris and its over 300 miles for me to do

Maybe a bit much for her to sit as a passenger. I on the other hand would relish the drive. I think it will have to be closer if i'm only going for a long weekend

edited to say that i'm talking about the Loch place. Grizedale however is much closer
Old 02 August 2004, 03:15 PM
ChrisB

Aye, The Lodge place is a bit of a hike, so worth going for a bit longer. Once up there, it's only another 100 miles north to the Applecross Pass which is a mind blowing drive

Edit to say... the possible downside of the Grizedale Lodge is they don't do evening dinner. The Eagles Head in Satterthwaite would be around 25 minutes walk each way (nice on a warm evening though) if you both fancy a tipple with tea. Outside of that, it's a taxi or drive to Hawkshead or Ambleside (etc).

Last edited by ChrisB; 02 August 2004 at 03:19 PM.