Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What constitutes nuisance noise?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 04:05 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What constitutes nuisance noise?

People next door did this all last summer
It has just started up again recently (now the kids are off school)

They have a full size bouncy castle in their garden for their spoilt freak twins.
It is not the castle itself- its the noise from the fan thats driving me mad- its quite loud. I am not the only person on the road objecting to this noise either, but unfortunately im the only one living next door to it.

I would have no objection if it was occasionally- im no victor meldrew.
But it gets turned on from 9am. It is then on most of the day until it is dark ( they turned it off at 11:30 last night) and they even leave it on when no one is on it to save them having to reinflate/deinflate it. This is EVERY day.

Is there anything i can do re: environmental health/nuisance noise? Are there guidlines or restrictions etc- give me the gen.

Anyone who says live with it, try having something that sounds like a roadsweeper outside your house all the time. Its hot and i would like to sit in the garden but the noise is so f*cking loud its impossible to enjoy it.

Sensible answers please- dont muppetise it
Old 31 July 2004, 04:08 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

i suppose you'll need to properly measure just how loud this fan is. Then find the law on how much noise you can make and for how long to see if they are breaking any rules.
Old 31 July 2004, 04:18 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

How about inviting all your friends around for a game of darts - with the dartboard positioned just below the top of your fence

Sorry....wasn't to muppet was I
Old 31 July 2004, 04:20 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Seriously, have you had a discussion with them about it yet? If not, I would advise maybe a quick word. Might just work.....but probably not. No-one has any respect any more.
Old 31 July 2004, 04:20 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

supersoakers full of nitromors were mentioned....
But id rather not.

Spoke to them about it- didnt want to know. This is the neighbour that moved in and immediately demanded that part of our land was his and that the boundary deeds were wrong- despite being behind an unchanged fence and hedge for 45 years.

Chav scum with a huge mortgage.

Last edited by Freak; 31 July 2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 31 July 2004, 05:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Sugar in the compressor fuel tank at 2am.
Old 31 July 2004, 05:14 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

its electric
Old 31 July 2004, 05:24 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Firstly you have to keep a diary of the noise.
You also have to speak to the neighbours and express (politely) your complaint about the level of noise.
You need to contact the Pollution Department of the Local Council (noise pollution)
If you state that it is on all day (and btw this would easily be classed as CHRONIC noise pollution) they may well come 'round straight away.
The moment you make a complaint, the neighbours WILL receive a letter stating that a complaint has been made. It would be a VERY good idea to get other neighbours to complain as well.
They can speak to the people next door and tell them to stop the noise.
You then have to continue with the diary and if they continue with the noise then the Council can starts prosecution proceedings against them.

(helps working at a Council sometimes)

So,
1. Keep a diary.
2. Contact the Pollution department of the local council.
3. Speak to your neighbours.
Old 31 July 2004, 06:47 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

all academic now
he forced his way in the house an hour ago and physically assaulted me

All because i cheered when he turned it off.......
5-0 have just left.

Cheers kieran- noted
Old 31 July 2004, 06:51 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a nice family
Old 31 July 2004, 06:53 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Fcking hell man, I'd deffinetly shread the bleeding thing with a knife.
Old 31 July 2004, 06:58 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

@Freak - bloody hell! - so, is he going to be done for assault ? , I fcukin hate inconsiderate w@nkers like that

hope you sort it, and hope your arsehole neighbours gets his dues..
Old 31 July 2004, 07:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I hope u and your family are Ok after this ordeal. Hopefully he'll have seen the police cars out front will now be dead worried. Best thing to do is to keep a log of events and don't speak to him from now on.
A/ that'll put the pressure on him as he won't know what's going on.
B/ If you speak to him, he could then issue a counter claim and therefore prejudice your own case.

If you have to speak, just say 'No comment. If you want to know anything you'll have to go via the police as they are now dealing with it"
Old 31 July 2004, 07:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello FReak

Wow -- that's shocking. I hope you are okay.

What did he do? What are the Police going to do?

Steve.
Old 31 July 2004, 08:08 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

What constitutes nuisance noise?

........Tony Blair!
Old 31 July 2004, 10:00 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound like a very nice neighbour.

what are the old bill going to be doing about it?
Old 31 July 2004, 10:32 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Freak - hope you are Ok and the **** gets sorted out. No one needs that sort of behaviour directed at them.

Dave
Old 01 August 2004, 12:27 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

we are having probs with our new neighbour aswell, they have partys more or less every fri & sat night, music blasting and about 20 peeps there. Got nothing against peeps having patys but they starting to take the p**s, they dotn start till 12 after they got back from clubbing and dont finish till 5-6 in morning.

The bloke had a go at me dad last monday for cutting grass @ dinner time last monday cos his wife been working night shift and trying to get some sleep.

Annoying thing is shes a copper and hes going to be soon aswell so sweet FA we can really do about it, toud think theyd have more sense and set a bit of a example because of the profession their in.
Old 01 August 2004, 12:50 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
The bloke had a go at me dad last monday for cutting grass @ dinner time last monday cos his wife been working night shift and trying to get some sleep.

Annoying thing is shes a copper and hes going to be soon aswell so sweet FA we can really do about it
If he is having a go at you about making noise during the day, then you have EVERY right to question their late night parties. To cut grass during the day is 100% acceptable. To have noisy parties from midnight to 5am is not!

The fact they are coppers makes absolutely no difference - this is a civil matter investigated by the council/environmental health. It's only the enforcement of any subsequent enforcement order/warrant which has to be carried out by the Police.

If it is SO regular, it is fairly easy to get environmental health out to measure the noise level. Phone your council and they will help out.
Old 01 August 2004, 12:59 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Interesting article from a Scottish sunday broadsheet, the Scotland On Sunday :

Party's over for noisy neighbours

EDDIE BARNES POLITICAL EDITOR
ebarnes@scotlandonsunday.com

ONE is an age-old Scottish tradition, while most people are guilty of doing the other at some stage in their lives.

But disturbing neighbours by playing the bagpipes or singing in the shower could be punishable with on-the-spot fines of up to £500 under radical new moves to crack down on bad behaviour.

Anti-social behaviour laws which came in to force last week contain new powers for police to issue fines to people deemed to be creating a public nuisance.

Offences include "being drunk and incapable in a public place" and "persisting, to the annoyance of others, in playing musical instruments, singing or playing radios".

The new powers will be used first in Tayside, which Scotland on Sunday can reveal has been lined up to pilot the scheme. Police forces around the country will watch the results before deciding whether to start issuing spot fines themselves.

Police chiefs insists they will impose the fines where they see fit, and agree that such offences could include people who get complaints from neighbours for practising the bagpipes at home or singing in a way that causes nuisance.

The move follows a similar crackdown south of the Border where three police forces - Essex, Croydon and West Midlands - already hand out fixed penalty notices for a number of minor offences, such as being found drunk on a highway.

Backers of the scheme insist that it has produced results, cut low-level crime and reduced bureaucracy for police forces.

Fines for committing anti-social behaviour at home - such as causing nuisance to neighbours - would be imposed if offenders refuse to listen to verbal warnings about their behaviour.

John Vine, chief constable of Tayside police and chair of the general policing committee of the Association of Chief Police Officers for Scotland is now preparing to adopt the scheme in his area as soon as possible.

He told Scotland on Sunday: "It is a non-bureaucratic way of dealing with offences and to assert the law. I want to see whether they will be effective.

"Where they have been used, for example in the West Midlands, they have been very effective. They are a useful tool and it is the same as giving a parking fine.

"Something has to be done if people are living with this kind of anti-social behaviour going on around them."

Vine said police forces were often powerless at present to deal with many neighbourhood disputes, even though they caused misery.

Recent research into disagreements found that two-thirds of Britons were exposed to noise above the 35-decibel limit, and discovered that emotions ran so high that people spoke of hatred, revenge and murder when asked about those responsible.

"If you are living next door to someone who is causing mayhem, it makes the quality of life pretty miserable," said Vine. "This is an attempt to address that. People look to the police to do something, but the truth is that we can’t do much at the moment.

"It will be a question of shut up or pay up. If we are going to address these problems then I am quite happy to have a go at it.This is a simple and easy way to do that. You don’t have a great deal of bureaucracy to deal with."

Vine added that neighbourhood nuisance was particularly acute in Scotland because of the high numbers of people living in flats and shared houses.

Police can expect to be inundated with calls, with research showing a 50% increase in the past year in the number of complaints about noisy neighbours.

Everything from car alarms to barking dogs are being cited - although the fastest-rising source of calls to environmental health departments are complaints regarding the noise created by trendy wooden floors.

In total, 3,099 complaints were made last year across Scotland about noise from domestic properties.

In the pilot areas in England, 20,000 fixed penalty notices have already been issued in response to anti-social behaviour. However, the success rate has been patchy. Home Office figures show that only 53% have actually been paid. Offenders who do not pay within 21 days have their fine increased.

Political parties last night said they backed the new powers, as long as they were used sensibly. Nicola Sturgeon, justice spokeswoman for the SNP, said: "It will be interesting to see how the powers work. The fact is that there are a lot of people who make the lives of others a misery. If fixed penalty notices help with that, then it is clearly a thing to be welcomed.

"The police often don’t deal with these kind of offences so there are some concerns that we will now have more people coming through the system."

A spokesman for the Scottish Conservatives added: "On-the-spot fines could be a useful tool for police to deal with anti-social behaviour. It is sensible to have a trial to make sure that they are applied properly. It is also important that it is only police who have the power to use them and not wardens."

With the act now in place, ministers are determined to introduce it across Scotland with an extra £95m worth of funding. This will pay for the recruitment of community wardens - civilians who will patrol neighbourhoods. Cash will also be made available to local authorities to pay for anti-social behaviour plans.

The act is seen by Labour ministers as a key plank in their drive to prove to the public that they can be trusted on law and order. The act contains moves to introduce Community Reparation Orders, in which vandals will be forced to clean up the mess they have made.

There will also be Parenting Orders, with parents being told to improve the behaviour of their children and facing the possibility of being compelled to attend parenting classes.
Old 01 August 2004, 12:01 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

mr burns/ ill bide my time.... then crush him like a paper cup /mr burns

Thing is.. this was my parents house, and they are currently in the carribean.
As soon as they get back my dad will go absolutely f*cking nuts, firstly for touching me (he alsop threatened my brother when he forced his way in), and secondly for barging his way into the house. Im not going to hit someone- i think with my head not my fists.

A bit of verbal i have no problem with, sticks and stones etc. But the line was crossed last night.Bang out of order

As for what the police said, they said that it was only common assault, so not an arrestable offence.
If i want to press charges, then he could come back and potentially have me done for either anti social behaivour or public order offence
When i cheered, he responded with some abuse ( f'in and blinding and then the classic 'Cheer again and ill knock you the f*ck out'), to which i responded '**** off back to your council estate', which apparantly is a potential public order offence

Respect to the police though, they were there within 3 minutes and went and warned him.

We had fantastic neighbours before- then these chavs moved in. One of the neighbours has just sold his house ( 500k) as a direct result of his kids playing out in the street until after midnight making daft amounts of noise. Ridiculous, and absolutely nothing can be done about it

Last edited by Freak; 01 August 2004 at 12:04 PM.