Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laser Tooth Whitening

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 12:06 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Laser Tooth Whitening

Has anyone or does anyone know someone that has had this done?...

I'm thinking of getting it done, 10 years of smoking, drinking tea & coffee has stained them slightly...

I was also thinking it would help me give up smoking as I wouldn't want to stain my teeth again after spending £520 on the treatment... plus if I stopped for 6 months it would pay for the treatment anyway...

Any ideas/thoughts welcome..
Old 21 July 2004, 01:09 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

stop smoking and save for six months.

in that time having brushed your teeth and removed the smoking stains you'll have cleaner whiter teeth and £250 in your sky
Old 21 July 2004, 01:10 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

sorry, £520
not £250
Old 21 July 2004, 05:03 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

There are several tooth whitening products on sale in N.America. Some are a liquid that is brushed on and left on overnight, some are little strips you put over your teeth twice a day. I tried the later to get rid of some appalling staining and they work really well. They claim to get rid of 14 years staining in 14 days and I believe them. They're call Crest White Strips and sell here for around $46 Canadian (20ish pounds) in the shops.

I don't know why you can't get them in the UK, but it might be worth trying to source some from US/Canada. A search on ebay will find you people selling them and willing to send to the UK. A heck of a lot cheaper than getting them lasered. On the other hand, if it makes you give up smoking...
Old 21 July 2004, 09:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi cinders

Smoking completely wrecks the gums and at my age smokers have LOST 3-4 teeth already..

There are lots of whitening systems using Carbamide Perioxide at concentrations greater than or equal to 10% in the market place. They are ALL illegal under the " EU Cosmetical Devices Regulations". The reason that dentists do it is because the chances of getting caught and successfully prosecuted are virtually nil !

The guy who "invented" tooth whitening still suggests using a low concentration (10%) of bleaching agent over a longer time using a tray that fits over the teeth at night to hold the stuff. You will find that most "one visit" laser whitening clinics advise a couple of weeks of using a tray of bleaching material as a lot of the colour change is due to the teeth drying out.

I'd go for a longer time of bleaching using a lower concentration...lots less "rebound".....ie dark colour returning

I'll have a check of the BDA Website

Midlife.....
Old 22 July 2004, 08:32 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had the treatment done here in Oz.
Cost AUS$650 and my teeth whiteness improved 3 shades.
I have seen pictures of really dis-coloured teeth -caused by heavy use of anti-biotics- be brought to whiter than white .3 treatments apparently.
I found it a bit uncomfortable as when they use the light to activate the whitening gel , the heat generated can , or did in my case cause the nerves in the teeth to be "on edge".