Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I Want to leave the South of England and Move

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 03:50 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Want to leave the South of England and Move

As the title says, I want to leave the south of england and move to the Blackpool area. I'm currently saving to do this.

However the company I currently work for are unlikely to offer me a job at the head office.

I was wondering if anybody on here had uprooted and gone and what advice they could offer.

Cheers
Simon
Old 12 July 2004, 03:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

u ever been to blackpool??? I have fond memories of my childhood summer holidays with my gran parents, but the smell of wee was aful (and no it wasnt my grandparents that stunk of wee...lol) the bus/tram shelters just wel.. disgusting. anything in particular drawing u to blackpool?
Old 12 July 2004, 04:12 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yeah, there are a few things drawing me there. Some personal and the fact of having the Lake district 40 miles on my door step. The thought of being able to loose myself Ray Mears style in there every weekend is very appealing. Added to that alot of my friends live around that area.
Old 12 July 2004, 04:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

good enough reason then I suppose cant help you though...lol sorry
Old 12 July 2004, 04:31 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon,
Just noticed you are also in Herts. We are about to do the same thing , but we're heading for Lincolnshire. Family is there , but also , there's so much to see and do without the crowds and pollution of down here (here being within the M25 ).
Hopefully, we'll be off and away in less than 3 weeks now. Am really not going to miss this area. Yes we live in a semi rural place but the traffic hereabouts is frightening. Not to mention the constant whine of police cars, ambulances, fire engines ........ oh roll on moving day.
Good luck to you if you do decide to do it. Blackpool itself is a bit scabby but there are plenty of nice areas just outside.
Old 12 July 2004, 04:31 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

I realise living near TelBoy must be somewhat *strange* however moving to Blackpool seem a bit excessive...........
Old 12 July 2004, 04:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

You the same bloke on here that was ******** some bird on the sly from Blackpool?
Old 12 July 2004, 04:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Apparition
Hi Simon,
Just noticed you are also in Herts. We are about to do the same thing , but we're heading for Lincolnshire.
Hi, Where abouts in lincolnshire you moving too?
Old 12 July 2004, 05:49 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Simon

It can work really well, so long as you don't expect *everything* to be better. Blackpool, IIRC (had a girlfriend posted to Lytham about 15 years back) has its fair share of traffic, crap pubs, rampantly snobby golf clubs, and annoying neighbours, but it does have the huge advantage of being near the Lakes and other equally fantastic countryside. Rains a bit, mind you.

All depends on what you're looking for - stay in the towns and it'll be exactly like living in the South-East, but if you like walking, mountain biking etc then you're laughing.

I've uprooted and moved around a fair bit (North-East, Kent, London, Birmingham), and finally settled where I am (just down the road from Apparition - good luck for the move btw) more by luck than judgement. If you're young enough to be able to walk out of a job and into another pretty easily, then do it, 'cos once you have mortgage/kids and are into the whole "which school catcment area" it's a lot more complicated!

I want to get back to the North-East, but share options mean I can't move jobs in the next couple of years
Old 12 July 2004, 05:54 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
.... but share options mean I can't move jobs in the next couple of years
I'd be wary on that one!

Lots of people in our organsation had thousands of share options, some worth in excess of a hundred thousand pounds if cashed in....

Company were then forced into lots of redundancies, combined with the downturn in the stock market, and what looked like a nice package, suddenly became nothing - most of the options were worthless given the slump in the share value.

Anyway, suffice to say, many had hung on in the company, not too bothered about their careers as they had share options to rely on.

To me now, I look at options as a bonus, and NOT something to rely on. If they are worth something when they vest, then it's a bonus. Don't stifle your career, nor your life, waiting for them to vest though.....

Last edited by imlach; 12 July 2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12 July 2004, 06:01 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave, Near Bourne in Southern Lincs. Already found out that the car insurance will £100+ cheaper, the rates are a third cheaper than Cambs just over the "border". Just looking forward to exploring a whole new area.
Old 12 July 2004, 06:01 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
You the same bloke on here that was ******** some bird on the sly from Blackpool?
Yes, I am. Well thats all over, I think, only friday will tell. But isn't 1 of the reasons for moving.

I hate the south, I was born in Shropshire, walk out of my parents front door and your in green fields, and I miss it.
Old 12 July 2004, 06:03 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Thanks Moose for the best wishes.
We are at the other end of the scale, with this move we lose the mortgage. No more millstone round our necks. Pretty powerful reason for going IMO
Old 12 July 2004, 06:08 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
I'd be wary on that one!

Lots of people in our organsation had thousands of share options, some worth in excess of a hundred thousand pounds if cashed in....

Company were then forced into lots of redundancies, combined with the downturn in the stock market, and what looked like a nice package, suddenly became nothing - most of the options were worthless given the slump in the share value.

Anyway, suffice to say, many had hung on in the company, not too bothered about their careers as they had share options to rely on.

To me now, I look at options as a bonus, and NOT something to rely on. If they are worth something when they vest, then it's a bonus. Don't stifle your career, nor your life, waiting for them to vest though.....
Let's put it this way, it's a LOT of share options, and they vest in two years. I woudn't want to move too much before then anyway (need a bit more experience in certain areas before the next move), so they're not holding me back, but your point is well made.

And if everything works out OK, I may not need to work again. Which would be nice.
Old 12 July 2004, 07:02 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Vaughan, nicely put mate
Old 12 July 2004, 11:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Ah Blackpool - a mere 45 mins away from here... The brown/grey seas, the tramps and trannies, the run down B&B's, ahh the fighting with broken bottles and general 8 months of scum influx - Mate move to Southport - you still get all of the above (well maybe not so many trannies) but the broken bottles are more likely to be moet than bud
Seriously Southport would be the logical choice for a half decent northern seaside town life - unless ya from Brixton or Albert Square?? Do you know the area you're after etc??
P
Old 13 July 2004, 08:05 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at Lytham / St. Annes area. The company I currently work for are based by Blackpool airport.

Any area's that you would advise I stay away from?

Cheers
Simon
Old 13 July 2004, 09:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Apparition
Hi Dave, Near Bourne in Southern Lincs. Already found out that the car insurance will £100+ cheaper, the rates are a third cheaper than Cambs just over the "border". Just looking forward to exploring a whole new area.
Not far from grantham then, me and tainton have noticed the increase in scoobs around here recently and was thinking of organising a local meet, some good meets up this way like skeggy, should settle in nicely
Old 13 July 2004, 10:01 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Vaughan, nicely put mate
Ditto
Old 13 July 2004, 10:25 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Well, its come to desision time. The company have just asked if I am going to extend my contract. I need help deciding what my best course of action is. As I really want out of the south.

1 Say no to the extention and hope I have saved enough to move, and hope I can find work when I'm up there.

2 Stay in a place I hate, and save more money so I don't have to find work immediatly, when I do move.
Old 13 July 2004, 11:16 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Its great, not grim up north. But as everyone else has done, I would advise you to stay clear of Blackpool. It really is a **** hole.

As said Southport is much nicer. There are some great little communities around that area too.