Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bathing the Dog

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2004, 11:30 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bathing the Dog

The smell got so bad I decided to give it a wash, normally the dog grooming lady sorts her out but she has made the house smell like a cheese factory with bad plumbing, her bed honks, she honks and the little lads bedroom where she sneak off for a kip also stinks.

She is an eleven year old blind Cocker Spaniel who does not like being clean, she rolls in **** when she gets the chance, rolls on dead animals and generally rejoices in smelling like a Polecat, pople come round and ask if the dog (sleeping) has died and we havent noticed and is now decomposing gently, we just lift her head and put the mirror under, if there is any breath on the mirror she is still with us, also any slight suggestion of food being available gets her creaky old bones vertical breifly as she rears up like a puppy.

Anyway, have run out of Dog shampoo so I used mine, F*ck it shes 11 and if its ok for me I will use it on the dog, also threw a bit of Tea tree cleanser round her stinky chops as it is antibacterial and may kill whatever the smell is, doesnt appear to be infected, just plain old hallitosis brought on by eating from the big round black buffet in the garden (the bin) and occasionally eating her own turds, I cant confirm that she oes that as I have never seen her but then again if thats the kind of thing you are into you would keep it quiet as well !

Got my car bucket, filled it with warm water and lead the condemed animal from its pit, she knows what bath means and immediately tried to slink off into the shadows but even I am quicker than an ancient blind Spaniel so I whipped the lead on her and tied her to the outside tap which she tried to pull off the wall, followed by a lot of hacking and wheezing. I got her wet (oo err) , no mean feat as she has a crust, a film of grime and canine rain-ex/WD40 which displaces moisture and this takes some time and three buckets of warm water to disperse, I know this stuff is so they can swim in the wild but being blind watrersports arent an option, the best she manages these days is a saunter off the edge of the pool at my in laws, I am a dog lifeguard. Then a quick run through with the comb accompanied by the odd yelp as I got a knotted bit, clinker or lumpy growth (vet says they are benign, sadly), did her ears ever so gently but she still decided to snap a bit but being blind it wasnt very accurate.

How bad can it be, being lowered into a bucket of warm water and bathed gently, I would pay good money for that kind of service, I must point out that I personally dont do 'extras' though.

Wife got home and moaned about me using human Shampoo on the dog, this is the same stuff she uses on her three children, I mean a dog on its last legs or her kids, she also says this when I give the dog the kids left overs, too salty for her, I point out that I want her to live a short but happy life, in fact even my wife the dogs Guardian Angel has come around to this way of thinking.

So the dog is clean, or was as she is in the back garden rolling in stuff, then she scratches at the door for a bit, gets told to F*ck off and then goes back to rolling and licking where the barbie has leaked fat.

Arggh wife just let her in, she shook up my new paintwork.
Old 10 July 2004, 01:19 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can identify with all of that

.................... not sure either about my dog eating its own wares though

Here she is, a 14 year old Labrador and before anyone asks, YES she is possessed

Old 10 July 2004, 01:39 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

apart from the displayed sponsored link 'stop skunk odor' - your bathing saga brings back memories of steeling myself to wash the Old English Sheep dog.

Used to do it in the bath; 'course I'd change into my swimming cossie first as I knew I was in for a thorough soaking - the dog would then know what he was in for and head for the nearest exit.

So, got wise to that and would get the leash out - pretendt it was walkies ........ then I'd get changed and try to get him into the bathroom. He was too heavy to carry (about 50 kgs) so it was a question of standing over him, grabbing him round the chest and sort of dragging / manhandling him into the bathroom.

Door closed; now it was just a question of lifting him over the edge of the bath. At this point he would go rigid on the floor making it almost impossible to get any leverage under him. If I could get two paws over the edge of the bath the rest used to follow.

Right, on with the shower hose and warm water - wet him down and shampoo him (tea tree oil shampoo is good). Avoid the eyes the books say.

He wouldn't stay still long enough to know if I was squirting water over his eyes or his a*se.

As soon as the water was turned off he would be out of the bath like a shot - and stright out of the house, running round the house like a demon.

Then another couple of hours with the hair dryer - he liked that bit.

Then about an hour combing out his hair.

Didn't do this too often (?every couple of months).

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/phillipc/driver.jpg

Last edited by philc; 10 July 2004 at 01:44 PM. Reason: piccie added
Old 10 July 2004, 03:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Stop Skunk odor, cool have imported the to England ?

I worked on a summer camp and one night we went charging over to a cabin to sort out some aggro and the lad I was with startled a Skunk out from the bushes round the flagpole and tripped over it, it casually looked round aimed and shot its juice over him, no matter how bad you think they stink, nothing prepares you for Skunk, it makes you gag.

Smell of stinky dog is now replaced by wet dog which is somehow worse.
Old 10 July 2004, 03:31 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

ATM I would like to bath one of my dogs ! especially his head...and I would like to keep it under the water for a very long time !!!
The little **** dug under the fence and wrecked mt newly planted lawn 2 days ago and then I have just come back to the house to found that he has broken in to one of the cupboards and dragged out a bag of browning (plaster) and has the entire house and himself COVERED in the stuff !! the other 2 dogs are spotless and were no doubt hiding in a corner thinking " He is a dead dog when Paul comes home !" How correct they are !
Oh and the £100's of pounds of doggie toys were also covered in plaster !!
Old 10 July 2004, 06:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

LOL at PG.

Have started giving the dog a trim, have done one side so she has skinny legs on one side and hairy thick ones on the other side, reminds me of a car with a Space Saver wheel on, space saver legs !

Might leave it like that, quite like having an asymetric dog.
Old 11 July 2004, 11:33 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Cool

All i can say is you have chosen the wrong breeds. Mine wants to get in the bath. in fact she is jeaous that i get a shower every day and she doesn't. if you turn the hose on in the garden she is under it. if you water the plants she has her head in the plant pot. in fact if there is water around she is in it.

Get a Chesapeake!
Old 11 July 2004, 05:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Whats a Chesapeake, is it a sort of Labrador type thing ?
Old 11 July 2004, 05:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Chesapeake bay duck hunting dawg, so likes to get wet.

Weimaraner's are great too, mainly due to a very short coat, so rather easy to bathe, plus they seem to like water as well.
Old 11 July 2004, 07:33 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes it is a gun dog. i have had spaniels before (infact still got one) but never found a dog that actually likes clean water and being bathed. she still likes smelly water in fact any water but she will try in join you in the shower if you let her and is upset that this is not encouraged.

her absolute delight in being wet is a joy to see. the coat is great as well she shakes her self and then about 20 minutes later is pretty dry where my Welsh springer is still wet 8 hours later. different type of coat to the spaniels.
Old 11 July 2004, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Really must trim the other side of the dog, have been getting funny looks of people, I think I will tell anybody that asks that in Cheshire we race blind Spaniels on oval tracks and build one side of their bodies up to compensate for going in one direction all the time, old Cheshire tradition.
Old 11 July 2004, 10:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Parents Border Collie certainly enjoys a bath / shower, usually bought on by the fact that she has found some smelly old pond or ditch to play around in whilst out walking Silly dog is fascinated by water, she can sense it from hundreds of yards away, think it was stared by my Mum giving her a washing up bowl full of water to play around in when she was a puppy in the summer time.

Previous collie hated baths, so don't think it's specifically bred dependent.
Old 11 July 2004, 10:43 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Really must trim the other side of the dog, have been getting funny looks of people, I think I will tell anybody that asks that in Cheshire we race blind Spaniels on oval tracks and build one side of their bodies up to compensate for going in one direction all the time, old Cheshire tradition.
LOL I have no idea why I'm reading this thread. Don't even have me no dawg.
Old 12 July 2004, 08:16 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
ATM I would like to bath one of my dogs ! especially his head...and I would like to keep it under the water for a very long time !!!
The little **** dug under the fence and wrecked mt newly planted lawn 2 days ago and then I have just come back to the house to found that he has broken in to one of the cupboards and dragged out a bag of browning (plaster) and has the entire house and himself COVERED in the stuff !! the other 2 dogs are spotless and were no doubt hiding in a corner thinking " He is a dead dog when Paul comes home !" How correct they are !
Oh and the £100's of pounds of doggie toys were also covered in plaster !!
LOL

That wouldn't be the "pup" would it ?

D
Old 12 July 2004, 09:56 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

How did you guess mate !

I have just about calmed down now. There is still some reminisce of the plaster throughout the house !!
Old 12 July 2004, 10:18 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

hmm we must be the only ones that wash the dog with the hose pipe..

Some days hes lucky the pressure washer has a warning on it

doesnt really like being washed.. but likes swimming in cold dirty water? hmm..

Likes being dried with a towel though.. thinks its even funnier to go lay on a bed whilst he drys.

David
Old 12 July 2004, 10:23 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Some days hes lucky the pressure washer has a warning on it
we used to work out of a haulage yard that had an enormous standard poodle as it's guard dog - it was a righteously fierce ******. it was always covered in diesel, waste oil and whatnot. the owner used to periodically blast it with the steam cleaner - it didn't seem to mind that much.
Old 12 July 2004, 10:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My pup isn't too worried about having a bath
Hates the hair dryer though
Old 12 July 2004, 10:31 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
My pup isn't too worried about having a bath
Hates the hair dryer though
WTF is that Olly, looks like a gremlin, u know ur not supposed to get them wet pmsl
Old 12 July 2004, 10:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
WTF is that Olly, looks like a gremlin, u know ur not supposed to get them wet pmsl
It's one of these

And he is quite happy playing with water, loves garden sprinklers and the hose pipe.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:24 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by PG
How did you guess mate !

I have just about calmed down now. There is still some reminisce of the plaster throughout the house !!
LOL...12 months of it

Luckily my monster left the house more or less alone (although being in his crate when we were out helped a lot )

Garden was a different matter. Caught him trying to uproot what can only be described as a small tree when he was eight months old

Wasn't my garden fortunately

As for bathtime, my two get rinsed with hose, shampoo'd with warm water and rinsed off again with the hose. The older one runs away and needs to be convinced, the young one (he's now 14 months) is the opposite - thinks its funny to catch the jet of water in his mouth at full pressure

Daft bugger
Old 12 July 2004, 12:16 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

My 3 all get put in the bath and washed with Charles Worthington, Trevor Sorbie or whatever silly priced shampoo the missus has that week
They love it ! Trying to keep them away from the pressure washer when I am using it is a nightmare !
Old 12 July 2004, 12:22 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
As for bathtime, my two get rinsed with hose, shampoo'd with warm water and rinsed off again with the hose, the young one (he's now 14 months) is the opposite - thinks its funny to catch the jet of water in his mouth at full pressure
Same with mine D. She goes swimming most days in local brook which luckily is clean and only gets a shampooing when she is in full moult.
Old 12 July 2004, 02:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not washing, but for you doggy people...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/women/stor...258940,00.html

I liked the last bit
Old 12 July 2004, 04:53 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

You can't beat a good hosing down.

Or the more natural approach.