Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Overtime working rates

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 06:39 PM
reas334
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overtime working rates

im currently working as a trainee QS in a construction company and received an email the other day from the boss telling us our overtime rates to put on our time sheets for any extra work we do on site.

turns out my overtime rate per hour, is £3 less than my standard hourly rate (this isnt much anyway cos im a trainee!!

can any of you tell me if this is legal surely if i'm working unsocialable or longer hours i should get some benefit. me and the other trainees have reviews next week so i'd like some advice pls

cheers

mark
Old 08 July 2004, 06:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Depends on your terms and conditions and how your basic pay is made up.
Is your overtime rate meeting the minimum wage requirements?

Our workers basic pay is made up of an hourly payment, then anti-social hours payment, then a basic bonus payement, then a production bonus.

Overtime rates are 1.5X and 2X hourly rate. Our workers can work Saturday for time and a half but will be on less money than Friday.

I'm on a yearly salary and average around 52 hours a week, I also work most weekends but don't get paid any additional money.
Salary is quite good though.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 July 2004, 07:11 PM
reas334
Scooby Regular

my t & c mention nothing about overtime rates, just that i'm contracted to do 39 hours a week.

i was just of the opinion that overtime rates were generally 1.5 times your hourly rate. seems a bit tight of the company to ask me to give up a saturday then offer me less money than i would get on a day im actually contracted to work.
Old 08 July 2004, 07:15 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

basically - if you don't want to do it, then tell them to stick it. they aren't obliged to pay you any particular rate for overtime unless it specifically says so in you t&cs.

<how sick am i of people arguing the toss about OT rates?>
Old 08 July 2004, 07:47 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
basically - if you don't want to do it, then tell them to stick it. they aren't obliged to pay you any particular rate for overtime unless it specifically says so in you t&cs.

<how sick am i of people arguing the toss about OT rates?>
Yep agree.
In the last year we have had to pay a premuim for people working Saturdays because no one would work them.

Mark,
If they need you to work then they will pay higher rates eventually.

You may have to do a certain amount of overtime to secure buissiness needs, have a look at your contract.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 July 2004, 08:03 PM
reas334
Scooby Regular

cheers guys,

think i'll stay away from working saturdays and doing overtime until i know i'm getting fair rewards.

someone said to me today that i should start taking fridays off work, as when it gets to thursday nights i've already worked my contracted weekly hours.

think its time to step up and have a word with the boss. first mileage reinbursment, holidays and all the other crap, reckon i'll get a rep as a moaner

cheers

mark
Old 08 July 2004, 08:07 PM
LMRnav2
Scooby Regular

Why not actually ask your boss why it is what it is? I'm sure he will explain it to you, it may have just been an error or there might be a reason for it. The figure wouldn't have be just picked out of thin air!!

As a trinee QS you should be learning all about costs etc!
Old 08 July 2004, 08:12 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LMRnav2
Why not actually ask your boss why it is what it is? I'm sure he will explain it to you, it may have just been an error or there might be a reason for it. The figure wouldn't have be just picked out of thin air!!
good idea.

what always get me is the way employees are of the opinion that their boss is screwing them. it may be true in a few sweat shop businesses, but by and large it is dictated by what the market will sustain. ateotd, if one business is paying below the going rtae, they are going to struggle to recruit and retain staff. when you have a pile of application forms on your desk a foot high, you gotta wonder what everyone is complaining about.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:29 AM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Monday to Friday Time & a quarter, Saturday Time and a half until midnight then double time Sunday hours.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:32 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reas334
turns out my overtime rate per hour, is £3 less than my standard hourly rate (this isnt much anyway cos im a trainee!!
I may be wrong, but is the overtime rate you are reading perhaps not the rate over and above the standard hourly rate?

ie, your hourly rate is £5, your overtime rate is £2, and therefore your total rate for overtime is (5+2), ie £7/hour?
Old 09 July 2004, 02:09 AM
scoobytravis
Scooby Regular

Default O/T rates

Work as an operations engineer within the power industry, and work full shifts (Mornings/afternoons/nights). Overtime rate is 1.5x salary on extension of rostered shift or 2x salary on rostered day off.

Graham
Old 09 July 2004, 08:33 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

In my 1st year as a junior doctor ( admittedly some time ago) was paid £7 and hour for 1st 40 hours, £3.50 for next 32 hours, and nothing for the hours above that ( typically another 18). So it's not actually illegal for OT rates to be less than standard, it's just v. unusual.