Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Alton Towers Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 02:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alton Towers Advice

Me and Mrs Tiggs have booked a day at AT next week with a stayover in the hotel (told the 3 kids they have to stay with granny while we go to a funeral!.......who wants kids slowing you down!)

So what rides are the ones to get on early? Its a weekday and as hotel stayers we get in half hr before it opens but i assume there are still things to get on quick?

Also.....at 6'6 can you be too big for some rides? i always remember the "not tall enough" signs but wondered if i will snap the machine and fall off the rollercoaster?

T

ps- last park i went to was Thorpe Park in mid 80's!
Old 08 July 2004, 02:11 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
(told the 3 kids they have to stay with granny while we go to a funeral!.......who wants kids slowing you down!)!
Shameless. Absolutely shameless!
astraboy.
Old 08 July 2004, 02:13 PM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - I haven't been to AT for a few years, but Nemesis is great!!!!!!!! Log fumes are good too, and the other water ride that you sit in big dingy's. They have built a couple more rides since I last went. Oblivion and another one I think.

You'll have a great day...... (wish I was going too )
Old 08 July 2004, 02:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

air, nemisis, oblivion, I think theres another too but I cant rememeber what it is...lol not been in about 2 years.

If its in the week (when the kids are at school) it should be pritty quietish anyhow to miss alot of the queues unless its half term or something...

enjoy its a cracking day out but you'll spend a small fortune
Old 08 July 2004, 02:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"(wish I was going too )"

join the que, you'll be behind my kids!!!!
Old 08 July 2004, 02:16 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Me and Mrs Tiggs have booked a day at AT next week with a stayover in the hotel (told the 3 kids they have to stay with granny while we go to a funeral!.......who wants kids slowing you down!)
Quality

I got invited to go to AT this year but can't go

The rides that get packed out first are Air, Oblivion and Nemesis. Wouldn't have thought being tall would be a problem as the safety harnesses go over your head mostly.

Have a good time
Old 08 July 2004, 02:18 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

I went a couple of weeks ago, I cant remember about the height thing, but you must go on Spinball Whizzer, it is without doubt the best ride at the theme parks at the mo.

When you watch it go round it doesnt look too bad, but once your strapped in, my god does it shift

'Air' is a bit over-rated, scariest part is waiting and getting strapped in

Nemesis and Oblivion are always worthy rides, although Nemesis at Thorpe park is better (quicker, as if it was on speed )

The old corkscrew is a good laugh, specially if you sit at the back the fact it looks like its about to fall apart helps with the 'fear' factor

Have a great day

Mike
Old 08 July 2004, 02:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Go for the newest ride first (that was Air when I last went) then go to surrounding rides.

I think our plan was: Air, Nemesis, Oblivion (x 3) then back to Nem (x 3) then, umm, can't remember, I know we ended up on the log flumes getting soaked.

As for the height thing, you'll be fine, I'm 6ft 4in and never had a problem, except on coasters, where the legs tend to get scrunched up a bit, but otherwise, it's fine. Been to parks in the USA, England, Canada, no probs at all.

Have fun, it's a top day out!

Sooz - yes you CAN go to AT, you just can't go on any rides (sorry, being childish, as usual )
Old 08 July 2004, 02:24 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Talking

(told the 3 kids they have to stay with granny while we go to a funeral!.......who wants kids slowing you down!)

Alton Towers should have days for grown up children only I'd pay an extra £5-£10.

Its's the best time to go during the week and outside of school holidays. I guess there will be a few school parties there but it shouldn't be that busy.

We went to Chessington during the week once and it was so quiet in the afternoon that they let us stay on some of the rides for repeated goes
Old 08 July 2004, 02:26 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I would head for Nemesis & queue for the front seats. Then do Air & then head over to the other side of the park to do Oblivion.
If it is a sunny day you must factor in at least an hour watching the girls get wet on the Ripsaw

Darren
Old 08 July 2004, 02:57 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I've only been to Alton Towers once and that was a few years ago now . It was a last minute thing and it just happened to be August bank holiday!!!! But it was so quiet!! We went on Oblivion 4 times in a row and only qued for about 5 mins max every time
Old 08 July 2004, 03:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

5 min ques...i like the sound of that!
Old 08 July 2004, 03:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Tiggs- As 6'6" myself I can tell you that Oblivion is possible but it is a squeeze locking the brace over although ok once locked in.
Old 08 July 2004, 03:22 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

We went in may they have a new ride, spinball twister (or summit like that) looks carp, but is in fact a bloody good laugh. They add a laser shut 'em up in to the haunted house. We found that Air was packed until mid afternoon, we went on Nemises and Oblivion a fair few times, then went did a few of the lesser rides and went on Air when quiet, finised with a few more rides on Nemises as there was no que at all.
Old 08 July 2004, 03:32 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

We go quite often. From the hotel you can walk right to the park down a wooded path, and enter at the back near the zone with Air and Nemesis..do these first, then walk briskly(run, run!) over to Oblivion at the opposite side of the park....everyone coming in half an hour later go to Air first...so Obilvion is quiet. After that just wander around...Hex is suprisingly good (though in a weird way..not exactly white knuckle).
Have fun.
Cman
Old 08 July 2004, 04:00 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Oblivion, Nemesis then Air in that order, Stayed in the hotel think it was last year, had a top piece of totty singing down in the bar area
Previous year we took my sister in law with us, went on the Oblivion with her. I can honestly say I have never heard a human being scream like that most excellent
Old 08 July 2004, 05:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Me and Mrs D stayed over at the end of last year. Personally I thought the opening half an hour early for hotel guests bit was a swizz, as it's the park that opens early, the big rides didn't open till the plebs were allowed in Air, Nemesis & Oblivion are the ones to go for & as stated before, deffo go for the front seat queue for Air & Nemesis. I would also go with OF's recommendation of Hex, it made me feel very peculiar

BTW as far as meals go, if you're having the evening meal & breakfast at the hotel, go for the sit down evening meal in the main hotel, but go for the buffet breakfast in the hotel attached to the waterpark (which is worth a look if you've got tickets).
Old 08 July 2004, 05:36 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Sooz - yes you CAN go to AT, you just can't go on any rides
Old 08 July 2004, 05:55 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Daz34
If it is a sunny day you must factor in at least an hour watching the girls get wet on the Ripsaw

Darren
PMSL If Mrs Tiggs is anything like MrsD this will be a somewhat dangerous activity
Old 08 July 2004, 06:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

I think checking out wet tshirts in the day might have an effect on the rides avalible in the evening

T
Old 08 July 2004, 06:08 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I think checking out wet tshirts in the day might have an effect on the rides avalible in the evening

T
LOL