Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NIP in the post, no lecture required but some advice wouldn't go a miss......

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 08:32 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NIP in the post, no lecture required but some advice wouldn't go a miss......

06:57am 59mph in a 50 on the A505 so I’m dealing with Bedfordshire.

One question.
Does the ‘forgetting to sign it’ ploy still work or has the loop hole been closed?
Any other old wives tales about how you can get off the points welcome.

It was a clear road.
Visibility was perfect
It was before 7 in the morning
I was breaking the law

But the law (on this particular occasion) stinks!

All help gratefully received.
R
Old 07 July 2004, 08:37 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

did they send u evidence (i.e. a photo) yet?
Old 07 July 2004, 08:41 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

No just declaration form to fill out and send back
Old 07 July 2004, 08:50 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

well i know if i was getting busted for a crime, i'd sure like to see what evidence they have first
Old 07 July 2004, 09:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

What is Java?

Java (with a capital J) is a high-level, third generation programming language, like C, Fortran, Smalltalk, Perl, and many others. You can use Java to write computer applications that crunch numbers, process words, play games, store data or do any of the thousands of other things computer software can do.

Compared to other programming languages, Java is most similar to C. However although Java shares much of C's syntax, it is not C. Knowing how to program in C or, better yet, C++, will certainly help you to learn Java more quickly, but you don't need to know C to learn Java. Unlike C++ Java is not a superset of C. A Java compiler won't compile C code, and most large C programs need to be changed substantially before they can become Java programs.

What's most special about Java in relation to other programming languages is that it lets you write special programs called applets that can be downloaded from the Internet and played safely within a web browser. Traditional computer programs have far too much access to your system to be downloaded and executed *****-nilly. Although you generally trust the maintainers of various ftp archives and bulletin boards to do basic virus checking and not to post destructive software, a lot still slips through the cracks. Even more dangerous software would be promulgated if any web page you visited could run programs on your system. You have no way of checking these programs for bugs or for out-and-out malicious behavior before downloading and running them.

Java solves this problem by severely restricting what an applet can do. A Java applet cannot write to your hard disk without your permission. It cannot write to arbitrary addresses in memory and thereby introduce a virus into your computer. It should not crash your system.

Oh, I thought you had said you wanted a lecture.
Old 07 July 2004, 09:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just sign it and pay the fine asap Regacy.No point delaying it.If you know it was you,just sign it and post it back.If you ask for photographic evidence etc and try to linger it on,they will do you for lingering it on ! They gave me certain time after sending me the photographic evidence.I was a day late to respond to them.They sent me f*cking summons and fined me 130 quid for doing 38 in 30.
My patner has been through the similar thing.If you are sure you were driving, sign the ****** and send it back asap.You will be done with 3 points +60 quid.If you linger it on and delay, they put your offence under one-up serious section(unable to co-operate and provide info at right time) + can charge you more fine+give you points anyway.Going under one-up serious section cost my partner not just 90 quid+3 points, but also he cant hire a car from a hire company for next three years !
Old 07 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Ask for everything you are entitled to but just don't be a day late in responding if everything is in order.

Don't just accept it, make them do all the work they are required to do seeing as it's so easy to actually catch you in the first place.
Old 07 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

forgetting to sign it or keep using this technique again and posting it back n forth was tested by us too.It will come under that "unable to co-operate..." thingy and you will get done for more serious offence.Had been there, so I know it !
Old 07 July 2004, 09:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Turbohot- You missed the deadline therefore you failed to comply unfortunately.

Regacy- You don't need to mess about to-ing and fro-ing but ask for everything you are entitled to.
Old 07 July 2004, 09:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>Turbohot- You missed the deadline therefore you failed to comply unfortunately.

Regacy- You don't need to mess about to-ing and fro-ing but ask for everything you are entitled to.

Yes Spoon you are right but Reg will still be "entitled" to the points and fine even if he doent miss the deadline.Thats all I m saying man
Old 07 July 2004, 09:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Turbohot
>Yes Spoon you are right but Reg will still be "entitled" to the points and fine even if he doent miss the deadline.Thats all I m saying man
Turbs- Not if they have no photo to send him he won't and it's just possible they haven't because it has been lost or used to jot down the local Chinese takeaway's phone number.
Old 07 July 2004, 10:13 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Red face

Loop hole has now been closed on the "forgetting to sign it bit"

If u received the NIP within the time limit ie 14 days, fill the NIP in sign it and send it back, u won't win, u could delay it by a few weeks if u ask for a piccy but that's bout it m8 sorry

i only won my case cos it took them 38 days to send it too me plus they never sent a photo.

I you don't sign it u will be charged with "FAILING TO FURNISH" which carries max £1000 fine plus upto 6 points
Old 07 July 2004, 10:18 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dazza01
If u received the NIP within the time limit ie 14 days, fill the NIP in sign it and send it back, u won't win, u could delay it by a few weeks if u ask for a piccy but that's bout it m8 sorry

i only won my case cos it took them 38 days to send it to me plus they never sent a photo.
Daz- Sorry to point out your own contradiction.

It can and does happen.

It's really up to you Regacy.
Old 08 July 2004, 01:35 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spoon
Daz- Sorry to point out your own contradiction.

It can and does happen.

It's really up to you Regacy.
What i meant was, my case was helped due to the fact i didn't know who was driving due to the length of time it took them to send the NIP to me, if u get it within the normal time, upto 14 days but usually 3 to 5 days after the offence, its fair to say that u would remember who was driving.
Old 08 July 2004, 07:13 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

You broke the law, and you were caught red handed. Pay up and get a road angel or similar. Then join the http://www.abd.org.uk/

There is no way you will wriggle out of it. But check the websites, Pepipoo and safespeed. (http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index.html)(http://www.pepipoo.com/)
Sorry dont know how to do a link. But these will help......

Looks like the link is automatic, but theres plenty of good advice on these.
Old 08 July 2004, 08:33 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It is untrue that there is no way out, it is not unusual to encounter people who have fought the law and won.

However, the unsigned situation was resolved in favour of the scamers some time back and while there are still ways to win on it they are complex and largely depend on luck.

However, the assertion that the EU court has already decided on the legality of the NIP will be tested in court on 9th August. Now, that is probably too late for you as you need to return in 28 days but there is a very nice letter over on pepipoo that you could send them. For people getting an NIP in the next month then it would be worth holding off returning it at least until after 9th Aug. It is possible that after that date anyone done on an NIP will be able to become part of a class action to claim back fines, expenses etc. and the NIP will become illegal.

At the very least you should demand disclosure of all their evidence, including ALL photos and/or video. It is not uncommon for this evidence to be refused and you can drag this out for quite some time (no points = no extra insurance) with a reasonable chance that they will mess it up and withdraw the case.

You can plead guilty at any stage in the process once you go "not guilty" and it is a path worth of consideration in view of how often they screw things up, just make sure you sign it to avoid a conviction on s172 (failure to sign)

The only crime here is doing someone for 59 in a 50 early in the morning.
Old 08 July 2004, 08:33 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I got caught by a camera on the A14 last year. I was probably doing the speed they reckoned.

They sent NIP (to wife as PTMW! registered in her name)

I wrote back saying we weren't sure who was driving (within the timescale), asked for a photo & signed it.

They wrote back saying we had to tell them who was driving & photo evidence not always conclusive. It was also not their policy to give out photos.

I wrote back saying it was me driving (therefore complying with s172 RTA) & if they sent me a photo & a request for a FP then if my car was there at the time/day they stated & at the speed (evidence) then I'd be delighted to pay it.

Nothing for 6 months

Then a letter to advise me that no further action would be taken.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 08 July 2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08 July 2004, 11:50 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

yep i too have suffered memory loss when faced with an NIP which resulted in no further action, back in 1997!
Old 08 July 2004, 11:54 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Does the ‘forgetting to sign it’ ploy still work
LOL My hubby tried that and he got it back in the post a couple of weeks later with a note asking him to sign it !
Old 09 July 2004, 10:15 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

hold your breath, I'm going to try the PTMW solution.
Sign the form but ask for evidence to clarify driver.
Must be worth a try, not breaking the law therefore nothing to loose.
If it all looks like it's going t1ts up I'll confess all and take the points.
R
Old 01 September 2005, 11:07 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

I wrote back saying it was me driving (therefore complying with s172 RTA) & if they sent me a photo & a request for a FP then if my car was there at the time/day they stated & at the speed (evidence) then I'd be delighted to pay it.

Nothing for 6 months

Then a letter to advise me that no further action would be taken.
What's an FP ?

Just got a NIp for 41 in a 30 - Honestly can't remember who was driving on day concerned.

What is the current advice ??
Old 01 September 2005, 11:49 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Fixed penalty jods..
Old 02 September 2005, 08:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In the "good old days" before spy cams, the traffic cop would have just given you a pointed lecture about speeding and sent you on your way for only +9 at 50 mph.

Les
Old 02 September 2005, 09:13 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Just to close my part of the story....
I lost my bottle, sent back the form and took the points.
Still, I talked a good game on here!
R
Old 02 September 2005, 09:47 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Booo!

This is what they count on though... fear and intimidation to make you roll over and take it. If more people made it hard for them then the whole thing would no longer be economically viable!
Old 02 September 2005, 09:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Regacy
Just to close my part of the story....
I lost my bottle, sent back the form and took the points.
Still, I talked a good game on here!
R
Baaaaa Baaaaa
Old 02 September 2005, 10:31 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Was talking to the taxi driver I had the other day, which had no regard for sppedlimits or red lights. Twice the speedlimits everywhere and straight through the lights if he couldnt see anything coming.

He had a nice mercedes actually which is a rare treat for taxis in Plymouth.

Anyway I asked him how many points he had and he said he had 9. But also he hap paid 2 people £100 to take points for him. And that the past 4 NIPs he had recieved he gave a fake name and address for people in outer mongolia, India etc and named them as the driver.

Full credit to him for having the ***** to do it, as at no point did I feel in danger, bearing in mind the roads are practically empty at 2am in the morning. And by driving at twice the speed of every taxi driver ment he could do twice as many jobs therefore raking the money in.