Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Troops sent into New Orleans "Iraq" style!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 08:16 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troops sent into New Orleans "Iraq" style!!!

From BBC news this morning....

Some 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen have arrived in New Orleans from Iraq with orders to restore civic order and using a shoot-to-kill policy.

Announcing the deployment of National Guardsmen in an effort to quell growing lawlessness within New Orleans, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said the men heading to the city were carrying deadly weapons and were ready to use them.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will."
Hmm....so let's see....residents are quite understandably in a stressful situation, and you send in your own soldiers in your own country to just pick them off one by one...

Perhaps sending in tens of thousands of troops to HELP may be a better solution....rather than 350 to wave some guns about......

Let the looting carry on - the goods they are looting are going to be water damaged anyway....who's gonna want them?
Old 02 September 2005, 08:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its probably their only chance of survival anyway.

Les
Old 02 September 2005, 09:13 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

According to R4 this morning, the looters aren't just taking "water damaged goods".
There raiding hotels full of stranded people, stealing water and food supplies etc.
I think soldiers with guns is just what they need, preferably soldiers who can shoot accurately as well!
Old 02 September 2005, 09:32 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Listening to an interview on R4 this morning, they interviewed the father of a uk citizen stuck in the Superdome - apparently the superdome is now being run by militia style gangs, who control both the water supply, food and the buses out.

These self styled armed bullies are using deadly force to further there own ends and control and subdue the weaker/older/unarmed/family citizens.

The ONLY way into and out of New Orleans is a 20km causeway used by buses, these buses are being stopped on the causeway by gangs, who then enter the bus and force people off to get themselves on.

In light of this revealing interview I say send the fecking army in, I'd helidrop several hundred troops straight into the superdome (black hawk down stylee), suppress the controlling militia, then put the army both on the causeway and riding shotgun on every bus in and out with a stop for no-one shoot to kill policy

The city has gone seriously **** shaped very quickly.

As someone posted yesterday on another thread, civilisation is only 2 square meals away from breakdown.

Last edited by Dr Hu; 02 September 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:40 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think there is something grotesque and ugly about people who turn into selfish animals in the face of a disaster like this. The majority of these poor people act with dignity and compassion, helping each other and sharing their resources despite great hardship. Gathering resources to survive is one thing, but stealing off other people so many starve to feed one lowlife is another altogether. If shooting the lowlifes mean more good people will survive then they should do it and without hesitation.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:48 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

And another point - the 20km causeway - if your life depended on it - and it would seem its going that way - would you not attempt to walk out, leaving those unable to walk to be bussed out.

I mean sheesh - its only about 14 miles FFS - take about 6 hours and your home and dry (excuse the pun)

Damn yanks want to drive everywhere
Old 02 September 2005, 10:23 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

I dont think many people grasp the size of the place, from what I believe the area flooded is greater then the area of England.
Old 02 September 2005, 10:25 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol same thinking here Dr Hu, madness. Surely they just drive alot of amry vehicles in get the people and drive straight back out? whats the situation out there at the moment with the weather? has it cleared up yet ot not? presume it has if theres choppers about.

Funny that a disaster like this cant be dealt with by the biggest and bestest country in the whole wide world what a mockery. If it wasnt so life threatening to thousands of innocents then it'd be funny on the governments side
Old 02 September 2005, 10:25 AM
King RA
BANNED

did you notice the colour of the general population of New Orleans?? Without being racist I cannot help but think that is why it has gone **** shaped so quickly with gangs e.t.c
Old 02 September 2005, 10:34 AM
bennyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
did you notice the colour of the general population of New Orleans?? Without being racist I cannot help but think that is why it has gone **** shaped so quickly with gangs e.t.c
PMSL@without being racist!
Old 02 September 2005, 10:35 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Also I find it outrageous that other country has offered them support, not in terms of finance but with trained rescuers and resources etc.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter whether its africa, india or america there are still people desperate and dying from a natural disaster
Old 02 September 2005, 10:43 AM
khany
Scooby Regular

I was watching CH4 News last night, they showed video footage of a very large black American women i would say around 20 Stone complaining she hadnt eaten for 3 days....somehow I feel people around the world watching would find that hard to believe.

I remember the American people calling the Iraqi's savages when they started looting after the bombings..........who are the savages now?
Old 02 September 2005, 10:51 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And people take the **** out of the survivalists in the US. This is what they predicted on a minor scale - the breakdown of order and US troops deployed against their own citizens.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 02 September 2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02 September 2005, 10:55 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many people have been 'knocked off' by people who don't like each other. Perfect time to get rid of somebody if you wanted.

Dunno why but I have very little sympathy for these people in the US. I should do but I have very little respect for the country and I think that translates to the people. Sad
Old 02 September 2005, 10:57 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Same feeling here, there are some genuine people there who really could do with sympathy/help etc but to be honest, I find it hard to think that they didnt have it coming. Shame it didnt happen to the White House or something.
Old 02 September 2005, 11:00 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Dunno why but I have very little sympathy for these people in the US. I should do but I have very little respect for the country and I think that translates to the people. Sad
Probably because you've never been there. I spent 10 days in New Orleans primarily to attend a conference in that very conference centre where all this drama is happening now. It's very weird to see somewhere that you know and where you had a very pleasent stay in such a bad way. It makes you realise that it *could* happen anywhere.
Old 02 September 2005, 11:04 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Probably because you've never been there. I spent 10 days in New Orleans primarily to attend a conference in that very conference centre where all this drama is happening now. It's very weird to see somewhere that you know and where you had a very pleasent stay in such a bad way. It makes you realise that it *could* happen anywhere.
I totally agree. It's just how desensitised I've come to it all. I'm sure if I could draw a connection to it then I would have more of a feeling towards the people. The fact is today I'm going to a mates wedding. I'll be drinking all day, eating nice food, attempt to dance and I know I wont give what is happening there one thought.
Old 02 September 2005, 11:07 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Seeing the looting on TV makes it understandable why the army should be sent it. Thieving scum taking other peoples belongings because no one is about to stop them. They deserve to be shot behaving like that.

lol at the 20 stone woman, typical example of Americans total lack of understanding of what suffering really is in the rest of the World. Sure 3 days is bad but its hardly life threatening especailly when you have that much in reserve! Perhaps she needs to see what its like in Africa and what going without food really means.

And yes I agree with King R.A. you said and I am sure many more like myself were thinking it from seeing the TV footage. Gang culture flourishing to profit from everyone elses disaster. No surprises there.
How many times have you said 'I'm Starving' when it's obvious you are not. I guess in that situation you may say similar. Still it's easy to comment from a desk and PC where you can probably go grab a bite to eat when you want
Old 02 September 2005, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Go on-force yourself!

Les