Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cock Sparrer. NF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 11:33 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **** Sparrer. NF or not?

I've been asked to join this band, doing punk/new wave covers, but in the set is a song called "England belongs to me", by **** Sparrer. Aside from it being unutterably sh1te, I'm considering refusing to do it because I am under the impression that they have "Oi" affiliations, including all the BNP and NF associations. Can anyone clear this up? The lyrics don't have any overt racist stuff in them. Tinternet searches aren't very helpful.
Old 02 July 2004, 11:55 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Jason. Obviously I'm going to have to look a little harder. My worry is that a racist contingent may cotton onto the band in error, and start coming to the shows.
Old 02 July 2004, 12:00 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Go to a gig and see how close to the floor the knuckles of the crowd are?
Old 02 July 2004, 12:23 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If you see any Skrewdriver t-shirts, change the set !
Old 02 July 2004, 03:04 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Part of the set doesn't include "Send the buggers back" by Half a sixpence, as heard on Pheonix Nights?

Steve
Old 02 July 2004, 03:21 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

do they use black or white instruments?

ok ill get my coat
Old 02 July 2004, 03:30 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

None of the original Oi bands had affiliations with racist groups or espoused racism in their lyrics, I don't even think they were particularly right-wing either. Apart from Skrewdriver, as MJW hinted at (!), who drifted from the original Oi scene to the right-wing idiots. It's a misconception that Oi music was associated with the National Front, the scene was certainly popular with skinheads but skinheads suffered the same misconception as the Oi music, not all were right-wing or racist.

I still listen to the Oi bands (Last Resort, The Business, Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects et. al.) and have a shaved head. I still get narrow-minded people wanting to put a right-wing label on me (and it pisses me right off!) but in my experience gigs where Oi music is prevalent don't tend to attract National Front or BNP members.

I agree with the song being crap! I think it's safe to go with early Oi cover versions but would be weary of any other bands also playing on the night or supporting/being supported by you. There are right-wing bands out there and playing a set with them could attract the kind of attention you don't want.
Old 02 July 2004, 04:52 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

No, not all skinheads are racist, but most are. More so back in the 70's and 80's.
I remember the audiences at Bad Manners' gigs used to throw bananas at the black drummer and they were not exactly a hardcore band. Even Madness had their share of idiots.
Old 02 July 2004, 05:54 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Hi M-T,

Don't forget Infa Riot, Peter & the Test Tube Babies, the 4-Skins, etc

They were the days

Simes
Old 02 July 2004, 06:39 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
None of the original Oi bands had affiliations with racist groups or espoused racism in their lyrics, I don't even think they were particularly right-wing either. Apart from Skrewdriver, as MJW hinted at (!), who drifted from the original Oi scene to the right-wing idiots. It's a misconception that Oi music was associated with the National Front, the scene was certainly popular with skinheads but skinheads suffered the same misconception as the Oi music, not all were right-wing or racist.

I still listen to the Oi bands (Last Resort, The Business, Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects et. al.) and have a shaved head. I still get narrow-minded people wanting to put a right-wing label on me (and it pisses me right off!) but in my experience gigs where Oi music is prevalent don't tend to attract National Front or BNP members.

I agree with the song being crap! I think it's safe to go with early Oi cover versions but would be weary of any other bands also playing on the night or supporting/being supported by you. There are right-wing bands out there and playing a set with them could attract the kind of attention you don't want.
Excellent post, minor threat, and very helpful. Were Sham 69 considered to be Oi, then? There's a couple of those in the set. Aside from them being a bit embarrassing, I've nothing against doing those really.They're not in the same league as The Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Magazine etc. I'm an original punk, and I didn't follow or understand all the various threads that led out of it- I kind of ended up with the banshees/cure/clash side of it.
Old 02 July 2004, 08:55 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

If I recall correctly, didn't the lead singer of sham 69 kick of on a bunch of racists at one of their gigs?

The late, great Joe Strummer & the Clash definitely were anti-racism.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:07 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

But why? This band thang?
Old 03 July 2004, 01:27 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simes777
Hi M-T,

Don't forget Infa Riot, Peter & the Test Tube Babies, the 4-Skins, etc

They were the days

Simes
Yeah, I remember the 4 skins appeared at the Hamborough Tavern in Southall to play to a load of racist skin w*nkers who had been terrorising all the locals that day. They had their pub burned to the ground and chased out of the place eventhough the w*nker coppers of the day tried their best to protect their little racist friends.
Yep, they were the days.
Old 03 July 2004, 06:12 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Excellent post, minor threat, and very helpful. Were Sham 69 considered to be Oi, then? There's a couple of those in the set. Aside from them being a bit embarrassing, I've nothing against doing those really.They're not in the same league as The Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Magazine etc. I'm an original punk, and I didn't follow or understand all the various threads that led out of it- I kind of ended up with the banshees/cure/clash side of it.
Bubba po,

Sham 69 came onto the scene before Oi started but became the most famous of the first generation of Oi bands, and were arguably responsible for pushing the entire movement forward.

As ChrisPDuk suggests, Sham 69 were definitely opposed to racism. Jimmy Pursey made several guest appearances at the Clash's 'Rock Against Racism' gigs. Ironically, they'd be singing "If the kids are united" at a gig whilst the whole place was like a war zone with punches flying everywhere, but there were occasions when they just stopped playing and wouldn't start again until, well, until the 'kids' in the audience got a bit more united!

Simes,

P&TTTB and Infa Riot haven't been forgotten, they still get airplay on my MP3 player.
Old 05 September 2021, 11:35 PM
The Drumlin paradox
Scooby Newbie

I missed out on an awful lot of 70s 80s music due to my distrust of London accents, skinhead/Mod looks etc
The good news is that I revisit the era regularly and discover gems now my prejudices are history and my perceptions are cleansed
PS Had a similar issue with Manchester accent and only later finally enjoyed Joy Division thru to James
Originally Posted by Bubba po
Old 06 September 2021, 05:46 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Awesome

what do you listen to today ?