Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Australia Calling

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 09:14 AM
jgc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Australia Calling

Last edited by Jason Crozier; 15 February 2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01 July 2004, 11:11 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

I grew up in WA, so I can offer some advice which may not be directly applicable to SA but in general holds true.

Property prices are significantly lower than the UK and you get more bang for your buck, especially with the exchange rate which hasn't altered drastically for the last five years or so.

By all means go through the immigration process as I've heard that it can take up to three years although they may accelerate it in SA as a solution to their particular problem but bare in mind that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

On the negative side, the Aussies have a huge ethnic problem with a failure of many cultures to integrate which has led to a fair degree of "polite racism" which in many areas is far worse than the problems we have in the UK. Most Aussies will deny this but it does happen.

The Police will drive you mad with their draconian attitude to policing the roads, 1km/h over the limit and you're for the high jump - it's not pleasant and if you're living in an urban area it seems pointless to me having a decent motor.

From a business perspective life in Oz is very laid back compared to the UK and whilst it's nowhere near as bad as the Spanish approach it can drive you mad getting a decision made, particularly when you're used to the UK approach.

It's also very provincial in both it's outlook and the way business operates which may be an issue for you depending on what line of work you're in.

On the positive side, the lifestyle is very laid back with most of the summer spent outdoors to the extent that you'll usually cook outside in the evening rather than use the kitchen.

You should be able to get a decent house for $300 - 400,000 which will have a decent section and a pool and if you're near the coast get yourself a boat or jet ski to have some fun on.

At the end of the day, for me at least, it only has decent weather to offer me and the negatives outweigh the benefits which is why I prefer the UK but you'll have to make your own decision. All I would say is that there are a hell of a lot of Brits coming back who regretted the decision to go in the first place so it's not all a one way street - there are also many who love the place and have no regrets.

I don't know the employment situation in SA but you may find that one of the criteria of your visa is that you locate and find employment in a particular area - one that may not be your first choice, so have a check on this.

Good luck.
Old 01 July 2004, 11:19 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
By all means go through the immigration process as I've heard that it can take up to three years although they may accelerate it in SA as a solution to their particular problem but bare in mind that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I'm sure I read that the Australian goverment will fast track an application for any location in Oz if the applicant invests a certain number of K in goverment bonds for a certain length of time.
Interesting write up btw.
Old 01 July 2004, 11:50 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

true, interesting story. The southern states and towns (err cities) are like that. Melbourne is a great place for example, but in certain neighbourhoods you are likely to come home missing an arm.

I grew up in a place (I suspect no-one on this board would know) - basically outback, north west queensland. It was great. Then I spent a fair time in brisbane (capital of sunny queensland). This is an awesome place. And just so much to do, see, etc etc.. The people are very friendly (as opposed to those in the southern states), but we in the north dont get paid as much, but our lifestyle is a damn sight better than that of the southern states.

I left there to move to germany - specifically munich. Now germany and europe has its problems and not all places are peaches and cream, but for me munich is a tiny village - (brisbane for example has a land mass 3 times that of berlin). It is a bustling city (town), but also pretty laid back for german standards. We are close to the alps (1 hr to go skiing/mtn biking etc) and only 4 hours from garda see (huge lake for windsurfing in italy). Life here is also very good, and the quality of living is pretty high too. But workwise it is hard, I do aLOT of hours, and this is expected. But hey, I´m not here for a good time, I´m here to make money and then bog off back home to sunny queensland....

Visas as you say are (maybe) difficult - but aus takes a shine to those who invest (to get a visa fast tracked you can invest lots of money...) But for those of us with both a UK and Aussie passport, life is easier.

I wouldnt live in the uk if you paid me - hell you´d have to pay me ALOT to go there. Here for example I dont lock my car at night, I dont need to even close the windows or lock up the garage.. It is a safe place to live. I dont fear gangs here - they usually just take an interest in your car or where you are from rather than try and beat you up or scratch your car... Back in the part of bris I am from it is like this too - our back door hasnt been locked in around 10 years...

But enough of that - you poms err english - would literally melt in the summers we have back in aus. Take a look at the temps and the humidity - it is nothing you have ever experienced. Trust me. It is a great place to live, a great place to work (if you want a relaxed atmosphere), but it is also dangerous - from both all our things which will bite, scratch, chew etc you... plus some of the locals (most scraps occur due to horrid racial relations).

Take care and good luck is the advice I would give.. Take an extended holiday (3-4 months) and search out the areas you are interested in. DO as many job interviews as you can in the field you want to. If something stirrs you - do it. Take the chance and live a little. If you are prepared to go this far, your personal drive is higher than most - and this comes across well.

Regards, and well wishes
Neal
Cheeseboy
Old 01 July 2004, 01:15 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

I grew up in a place (I suspect no-one on this board would know) - basically outback, north west queensland.
Not true : I grew up both in Brisbane, and along the Gold Coast area and further up north, Townsville/Rockhampton and Babinda (if you know where that is then you are a local ! ) A few years ago now, but still remember it fondly.

Ironically, been wondering about returning back to the mother land for awhile : the industry I work in (computer games) seems to be booming in Australia. Faire D'Income's synopsis is pretty accurate, the implicit racisism (sp) can make you feel a little uncomfortable sometimes, but for me the lifestyle is better.
Old 01 July 2004, 06:52 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Some good stuff here. Btt
Old 01 July 2004, 07:01 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

which parts of Oz are inviting us then?

and this racism - is to brits in general, be they white or dark skinned?

Whats the fishing like?
Old 01 July 2004, 07:48 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I really fancy going there for a month or two. How much planning is envolved? id love to travel around see some of the sites.

Si
Old 01 July 2004, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i guess lifes one big journey and seeing being living somewhere else for a while would be great grass is always greener ........The racism talked -is it to brits or asians ?
Old 01 July 2004, 10:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's not Brits, its those bloody Pommys

Be prepared to here that VERY often. Never bothered me in the slightest, I suppose it could wind others up. They can be racist to coloured and asians too. It's pretty much anyone who isn't ozzy.
Old 02 July 2004, 03:33 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
i guess lifes one big journey and seeing being living somewhere else for a while would be great grass is always greener ........The racism talked -is it to brits or asians ?
Asians. Orientals to us.