Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Headphone / Earphone recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2004, 10:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headphone / Earphone recommendations

As some may have seen, the chunky one is getting fit by walking, and one might escalate this to jogging, running, or maybe inline skating.

I am considering getting an iPod, Mac Geek that I am, it does make some sense, however, I have a sony cd walkman thing that can play MP3's so I'm in two minds, iPod would mean no swapping CD's though, and it'd look rather cool, plus I can connect it to my HiFi at home for some fun.

Anyway, I digress. Regardless of the device I'm going to use, what I want is some advice on what ear/head phones to go for. I've currently got some, umm, sony or panasonic ear phone things with noise cancellation (got them due to the number of transatlantic flights I had been doing). Now, they aren't the best in the world and do hurt a little after having them in for a while, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I think earphones/buds might be better, as I don't really want the extra weight of headphones, unless they are ultralight or something.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for headphones/earphones?
Old 14 June 2004, 10:53 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth I use these with my portable and like them. Comfortable to wear, not too expensive so I'm not concerned about the eventual fate that faces them in my pockets, pleasant sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...820113-2858247

They may be what you already have I guess but if not then worth a look.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:01 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd avoid the in ear type like the Sony (sp)fontopia which actually sit in the ear canal if you are exercising. Reason is I ended up with problems with my ears which I am convinced was due to sweat getting in, but being unable to escape from my ears due to the tight seal. It's a shame as in other respects they are ideal for exercise.

Also, if you are running I'd avoid using an Ipod. I have one and love it so don't get me wrong, but I personally would be happier with a solid state machine when subjecting it to that level of shaking. I know it copes, just my mechanical sympathy doesn't think it's a great idea. Personally I have a cheapo 128mb solid state player for running etc. I use the Ipod in the gym when I can stick it somewhere stable.

Anyway, good luck with the exercising...
Old 14 June 2004, 11:04 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Oh re-read your post...the CD player *won't* cope with the jogging in my experience irrespective of how long its read ahead is...get an Ipod and a cheap 128mb solid state for your runs and you'll be happy...
Old 14 June 2004, 11:36 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

What do iPods come with as standard?
Old 15 June 2004, 09:16 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I like the sony in the ear type, although I usually find i have to buy a new pair every time i go on holiday. good sound quality (on the higher models - about £30) but start to ache a bit after a couple of hours sunbathing...
Old 15 June 2004, 01:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jim - iPods come with some in-ear type things, not the best in the world or so I'm told. Yo ucan get an upgrade to some ear bud type things, but it's quite possibly cheaper to get those type of items from somewhere other than the AppleStore
Old 15 June 2004, 01:55 PM
Krusty The Clown
Scooby Regular

Try some Sennheiser PX100 £29.95
Great and they fold up 2.