Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how to kill ticks

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 07:28 PM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to kill ticks

my dog has got one on his chest and looks quite big i covered it in vasolene this morning and tonight and put on flea and tick killer but what are the quicker ways incase its a hardcase tick
Old 09 June 2004, 07:30 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

shotgun ?
Old 09 June 2004, 07:35 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Do not attempt to pull the tick out, without anaesthetising it first. Put some petrol or ether on it, then you can remove it whole then after a few minutes..
Old 09 June 2004, 07:40 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a pair of tweazers. Clasp the tick as close to it's head as you can & pull gently upwards & out of the skin. Be very careful not to leave part of the tick inside, if you do, or if you cannot remove the tick in this way, seek professional medical help. Keep the tick for a period of 1 month in a jar, in case medical help is needed the tick can be identified & tested. Afterwards, watch the area carefully for a type of bullseye reddening around the area. This can happen quickly or can take up to 1 month. If this happens seek medical help from your GP or practice nurse. The patient should also be aware of any flu type symptons over the next 1 month. If these symptons occur, get urgent medical help from your GP.

Do not cover in vasoline or take any advice from people who don't know the hell what they're talking about!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/007211.htm
http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc1408.htm

Last edited by Nick; 09 June 2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09 June 2004, 07:54 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

You can get tick removers from the vets for about £3. The trick is to twist as you pull them out, so as to remove the head.

If it's in a fairly exposed position on your dog's chest, a very effective method is to light a match, burn it for a couple of seconds, blow it out and touch the end to the tick. It will retract its feelers and make it far easier to remove.
Old 09 June 2004, 07:56 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Or even a vet, dont think my Gp would be very happy me turing up at the surgery with a month old tick in a jar and a ruddy great big hound.....!
Old 09 June 2004, 08:08 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

smear vasaline on them stops the tw@ts breathing
Old 09 June 2004, 08:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Our daughter Ez picked up a tick - burried itself in the back of her neck (scary parental moment reliving James Herbert type novels )

I absolutely covered it in Vaseline & took her to doctors the next morning. They removed it & it was dead as a dead dead thing already

Otherwise its stab a cigarette on its end & quickly twist/pull. Heat from *** makes it go releasing it's grip on the victim allowing you to remove safely.

(Not to try on small daughters though )

The downside to this is that not a lot of people smoke these days!
Old 09 June 2004, 08:43 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Petrol is still the quickest and safest way Done it loads of times on my dogs and cats.
Old 09 June 2004, 09:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The downside to this is that not a lot of people smoke these days!
Bloody good thing to if there's explosive household pets about

Old 09 June 2004, 09:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

meths works as well - soak a piece of cotton wool in meths, cover the tick with it, wait about a minute and pull gently
Old 09 June 2004, 09:23 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

PMSL! Reminds me of my old history teacher! He had a kitten that became unwell so someone suggested he put some 4 star (very long time ago) in it's milk.

Kitten drank it. Did 6 laps of the room at something close to lightspeed and kicked the bucket - lesson for you is easy: take the dog to a vet!
Old 09 June 2004, 10:54 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Use a pair of tweazers. Clasp the tick as close to it's head as you can & pull gently upwards & out of the skin. Be very careful not to leave part of the tick inside, if you do, or if you cannot remove the tick in this way, seek professional medical help. Keep the tick for a period of 1 month in a jar, in case medical help is needed the tick can be identified & tested. Afterwards, watch the area carefully for a type of bullseye reddening around the area. This can happen quickly or can take up to 1 month. If this happens seek medical help from your GP or practice nurse. The patient should also be aware of any flu type symptons over the next 1 month. If these symptons occur, get urgent medical help from your GP.

Do not cover in vasoline or take any advice from people who don't know the hell what they're talking about!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/007211.htm
http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc1408.htm
He's talking about his dog not himself But yeah if you ever get one watch out for symptoms of Lymes Disease, its not nice. Don't think it affects dogs though.

I've had a tick on two separate occasions but I'm sill okay
Old 09 June 2004, 11:04 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graz
He's talking about his dog not himself But yeah if you ever get one watch out for symptoms of Lymes Disease, its not nice. Don't think it affects dogs though.

I've had a tick on two separate occasions but I'm sill okay
Yes sorry, I got confused as my daughter got a tick on Sunday. I therefore checked exactly how a tick should be removed. We live in the country & can get sheep & deer ticks. The same method applies to pets, however an urgent vet appointment may be the best bet as the fur is likely to make a tricky job more complicated.

Replace "GP" with "Vet" in my answer. Noting some of the other replies, there's a lot of very dangerous "pub type" advice here!
Old 09 June 2004, 11:23 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Replace "GP" with "Vet" in my answer. Noting some of the other replies, there's a lot of very dangerous "pub type" advice here!
Petrol or ether [as fb says] is the method my Vet uses and he doesn't work out of a 'pub'
Old 09 June 2004, 11:30 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

As others have said you need the tick to come out whole, therefore..

carefully cut the dog down at each end until close to the size of the tick, then carefully pick the rest of the dog off the tick's body, then you can stamp on the ******
Old 10 June 2004, 08:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jameswrx
As others have said you need the tick to come out whole, therefore..

carefully cut the dog down at each end until close to the size of the tick, then carefully pick the rest of the dog off the tick's body, then you can stamp on the ******
B*gger,............ coffee all over keyboard again:

Alcazar
Old 10 June 2004, 09:08 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Yup, petrol or nail polish remover is good.

Then carefully grip and twist ANTICLOCKWISE as their legs burrow in clockwise. Be careful not to squeeze the bloated body parts - disease more likely to be spread through regurgitated blood rather than simply the bite

Some of the freeze type sprays work quite well, depending upon where they are.
Old 10 June 2004, 09:45 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Petrol or ether [as fb says] is the method my Vet uses and he doesn't work out of a 'pub'
Well my vet has his practice next to a pub so maybe we should take his advice with a pinch of salt but he recommends petrol in place of ether and vaseline in place of brand X tick remover although he's more than happy to take my money for the more expensive alternatives.