Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into luxury yachts? Mr Abramovich just arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 10:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone into luxury yachts? Mr Abramovich just arrived...

Funny that salsa-king mentioned mega-yachts on the D-day thread.

It just pulled up outside my office. The secretaries are now busy preening themselves with extra care.

Not sure if Mourinho forgot something and had to nip back and get it.

I did a search on "Pelorus", and came up with various scattered info and not wonderful photos. But apparently in a luxury yacht magazine in the last month, they did a full spread on it. No chance any of you folks here have a copy and could scan it for me?

Otherwise I'll just have to get out the drysuit with the full tux underneath, swim up the back, climb aboard and stun a guard, then wander round mingling with the guests whilst carefully snapping with my Minox.

...nah, maybe not.
Old 08 June 2004, 10:53 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's in last months Yachting World which you may still find in Portugal, it makes Leander look titchy. If you want to see a real yacht then Google up Mirabella V which is an amazing boat.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hasn't he also got the one which was owned by IBM and called "Big Blue"?

That used to moor up here and it has got a heli pad and a good size racing yacht strapped to its main deck as well as a fully enclosed life boat and a good sized speed boat just for fun! It looks like a full size cruise ship.

It once moored up next to the one owned by the NCP chief's private yacht, The NCP bloke left next morning because he could not stand the fact it was about 3 times bigger than his!

Les
Old 08 June 2004, 11:05 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I have always been fond of Larry Ellison's (Oracle software) superyacht Katana. Might make him an offer when I save up a bit!

Old 08 June 2004, 11:16 AM
yoza
BANNED

Thats just showin off.

Id love all that, but it would draw to much attention.

Ill stick to my orange 2 man Octopus dingy, safer that way.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:21 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Ill stick to my orange 2 man Octopus dingy, safer that way.
LOL@Yoza
Old 08 June 2004, 11:52 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
Hasn't he also got the one which was owned by IBM and called "Big Blue"?
Not sure, but my browsing last night said he owned "Le Grand Bleu". I sent it to MI6 Linguistics Dept and they tell me there could be a connection

I liked one comment on a yachting forum. He's also bought a third mega-yacht - might have been Le Grand Bleu, I've forgotten - and in the words of the incredulous poster, "is planning to use it as a frigging supply ship for Pelorus!!" In the yachting world, this seems to be the equivalent of buying a Lambo Murcielago in order to drive to your Enzo which is garaged somewhere else in the country.

It's a hard life.

BTW, looked out the window again and there's another one there. I'll find out the name at lunchtime, can't see from here. Anyone want to bet if it's "Le Grand Bleu"? White top, almost black base.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:56 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I have always been fond of Larry Ellison's (Oracle software) superyacht Katana. Might make him an offer when I save up a bit!

I wish you would by it and then maybe Mr. Ellison could spend more time sorting some of his woeful Oracle Applications out rather than playing happy sailors.

tiggers.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:09 PM
Howee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
If you want to see a real yacht then Google up Mirabella V which is an amazing boat.
I was sailing in the Solent when Meribella V left for the Med. It was absolutley enormous, an amazing bit of kit. It completely dwarfed the 42ft Moody that was alongside when I got a photo.

It's the worlds largest single masted yacht, 248ft long, 297ft mast and cost £30 million. You can charter it for $250,000 per week if you fancy a go in it
Old 08 June 2004, 12:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

£30 million? Must still have a Sanyo TV on the kitchen worktop then. The figure bandied about for Pelorus is £72 million.

Another comment on aforementioned forum - "Abramovitch is rich, but smart. He's bought a boat that is big enough for luxury but small enough to get into the harbours that matter, like Monaco and Antibes." Apparently someone with a "size is everything" attitude had to reverse out as they couldn't turn around; most embarrassing.

PS I know less than nothing about these things, so if someone wants to correct me, feel free.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:41 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Howee
I was sailing in the Solent when Meribella V left for the Med. It was absolutley enormous, an amazing bit of kit. It completely dwarfed the 42ft Moody that was alongside when I got a photo.

It's the worlds largest single masted yacht, 248ft long, 297ft mast and cost £30 million. You can charter it for $250,000 per week if you fancy a go in it

Nah. I'd take the Moody anyday - quality, plus I get to sail it without needing a full crew.

Old 08 June 2004, 12:45 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Your going to have a few fun filled weeks Brendan! I'm still laughing at the Gay pride meeting they are having smack bang in the middle of the tournament!!
Old 08 June 2004, 12:58 PM
Howee
Scooby Regular

Nah. I'd take the Moody anyday - quality, plus I get to sail it without needing a full crew.

So would I, the Meribella is all computer controlled, where's the fun in that??!!
Old 08 June 2004, 01:08 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Rich, glad you noticed that, no-one else seemed to comment ('cept Fd'I). I thought it was a corker...

Right, off to have my spag bol and wander up to the Floating Palaces. If I don't reply in a couple of hours, it's because I've been machine-gunned. And no I won't tell him his headlights are off.
Old 08 June 2004, 01:34 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Talking

you wanna try looking at salperton , the largest super racing ketch alloy yachs have built soi far thats fineshed, that was $30 million and is awesome , and ive had the pleasure of being out on it for a day racing - and it mean the owner had it racing ............
it was awesome !!

http://www.salpertonyacht.com - sorry dont know how to do a link !

Last edited by JimmyRB5PRO; 08 June 2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: www added !
Old 08 June 2004, 02:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

CLUCKING BELL, IT IS LE GRAND BLEU....

Sorry I don't have a digicam, I bought a disposable snappy at the station and used up the film. Dunno when I can develop it (or if any photos will be worth hosting).

Holy Moly, that's incredible. Not only is the damn thing a mega-yacht, but it has a sunseeker AND a sailboat mounted amidships. And the crowning touch has to be the hardwood diving deck on the back at sea level... WITH the shower...

LGB is bigger (or looks it), but for exterior shape and lines, Pelorus is way, way more stylish.

Both of them are gleaming in the sun, really spotless, like they'd just come from (or were preparing for) a photoshoot.

I liked also the 3 matching Merc C-classes lined up beside Pelorus, registered May 04, with consecutive number plates. The oil crisis is obviously hitting the poor guy though, as they're poxy 2-litre diesels...

Aw sheet, I'm off to put my house, my parents' house, and my brother's flat on the stockmarket.. TelBoy or Chuckster, any tips?
Old 08 June 2004, 02:45 PM
ChrisB

A bit of Googling turns up stuff about Octopus, owned (AFAIK) by Paul Allen (MS Co-founder):

Check out the picture of it entering Antibes on this page:

http://powerandmotoryacht.zeroforum....d?id=20&page=2
Old 08 June 2004, 02:50 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Brendan. I reckon you do Abramovich a great diservice as I'm sure he has extensive oil interests, that being the case he's obviously running the Mercs for environmental reasons.

Old 08 June 2004, 02:51 PM
ChrisB

Gawd! Reading an article on another says a yacht called Lady Moura cost 100 million USD and that's 70ft shorter than Octopus
Old 08 June 2004, 02:59 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm sure he has extensive oil interests, that being the case he's obviously running the Mercs for environmental reasons.
Come again? I could get the "oil interests", and I could get the "environmental reasons", but I think I got distracted just as you were explaining how the two were linked...

Old 08 June 2004, 03:28 PM
Howee
Scooby Regular

Here's a site with Pelorus on it. It's still 30 foot shy of the Octopus but much better looking IMO.

http://www.yachtspotter.com/ycard.php?foo=20030208
Old 08 June 2004, 03:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

That's not a yacht, that's the QEII that somebody has put through the hot wash cycle I still think fibreglass and sails when I see "yacht"!
Old 08 June 2004, 03:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Yup, that's the one... They don't have Le Grand Bleu in the database though!
Old 09 June 2004, 10:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes it was called "Le Grand Bleu" when it moored here a couple of times, that was before Abramovitch owned it and your description about the "add ons" is absolutely right Brendan. It was painted dark blue (IBM) then. I mentally translated the name into English.

I know how you feel about it, I used to feel a bit insignificant droning past it in my 5.69 Metre 1985 Shetland on my way to do a bit of fishing.

Les
Old 09 June 2004, 10:15 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

the one of octopus entering antibes looks photoshopped to me. what do you reckon?
Old 09 June 2004, 10:33 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

OK, got some photos. Where to host? Warning - they're either tiny (9k) or huge (2MB) so I'll start with the tiny ones. Can't resize, don't have the software at work.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:54 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Brendan,

Would love to see the pics, have always had an interest in motor yachts. Do you work at a boat yard or something??

So which is the biggest yacht, whos it owned by and how much on the price tag?

Matt
Old 09 June 2004, 11:28 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I saw the Mari Cha III In Bonafacio and all I can say is unbelievable 146' ! It used to hold the Transat record averaging 13.5 knots! Some days they got 300 miles. It can also reach at 17 knots in 14 knots wind speed. http://www.mari-cha.com/

Unfortunatley the owner was not happy with stripping his comfortable yacht down for racing so he brought the Mari Cha IV a full on racer!! This crossed the atlantic in 6 days and managed over 525 miles in a day and can reach speeds of over 40 Knots!

http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

IMHO Big power boats are cool but nothing compared to a yacht,

Anyone know what the owner does? He is called Robert Miller

Cheers

Andy
Old 09 June 2004, 11:30 AM
ChrisB

Brendan - I can resize and host if you can get the pics to me?

Can you FTP or is e-mail the only option?
Old 09 June 2004, 12:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

chris - what's FTP?

Does your profile addy work? I'll send you the little ones. Someone said our email can't handle attachments of more than 2MB, so I'll see if I can ask someone to quickly shrink them.

Matt, I don't work at a boat yard, but Lisbon's on a number of hills overlooking the water. Our office is not far from the riverside where various ships dock, often cruise liners, battleships, and an aircraft carrier last year. Never seen anything like these though.

Quick Reply: Anyone into luxury yachts? Mr Abramovich just arrived...