Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freeride mountain bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 06:23 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeride mountain bikes

Any mountain bikers here? I'm looking at buying myself a Giant AC 2 in the near future... anyone have any other ideas / recommendations for a burly freeride bike?
Old 03 June 2004, 06:33 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Not a bad bike, but all depends on what you really want to do. Is it pure freeride/DH (i.e. a gravity machine) or do you want to pedal yourself to the top, albeit slowly?

There's so many to choose from, so it really comes down to usage and budget. Stick a few more details up or PM me and I'll have a think.
Old 03 June 2004, 08:47 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mr Moose.. all input gratefully received. I've been out of the scene for ages. It's mainly an XC machine I'm after but it's got to be tough enough to land some fairly big drops when the mood takes me Yes I'll be pedalling uphill and climbing ability is a concern. What do you reckon?
Old 03 June 2004, 11:50 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jlanng
Thanks Mr Moose.. all input gratefully received. I've been out of the scene for ages. It's mainly an XC machine I'm after but it's got to be tough enough to land some fairly big drops when the mood takes me Yes I'll be pedalling uphill and climbing ability is a concern. What do you reckon?
I'm an XC rider myself (Marin RiftZone Quad) but a guy I ride with has a Turner 5 Spot which is a freeride bike but seems to ride up hills without bobbing although it does come with a ProPedal valved rear shock. For true freeride the Specialized Big Hit is a weapon but I wouldn't fancy pedalling it up any hills!
Old 04 June 2004, 07:13 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had loads of mountain bikes over the years. The one i've got at present is just the best XC bike i've ever owner or even ridden. Specialized S Works M5 Hardtail, full XTR groupset RockShox SID Worldcup forks, carbonfibre bars etc etc, weighs only 22lb. Gotta be the ultimate XC Race bike.......Then again £3400 it should be!!
Old 04 June 2004, 11:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Specialized Enduro should fit the bill. Adjustable travel, 100 - 120 mm, pro pedal damped rear shock, lockout etc. etc.

At least that's what I want. Anyone want a MY00 Marin Mount Vision
Old 04 June 2004, 12:06 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

I've got a Specialized S-Works Enduro myself, which has 5" of travel at each end. Built up with XTR/Crossmax/Minute 3/Hope M4 it comes in at 24 lbs, which obviously benefits climbing. Then again, it can cope with serious hits and landings, though I'd not dream of doing proper freeriding or DH, which is just silly stuff.

I rode Innerleithen XC last week, which is described by some as (I dread to use the phrase) 'freeride lite' and is certainly as rocky as you'd ever want. No probs with the bike there, and bearing in mind I'm 15st it gets a pounding.

Mind you, I'd have a 5 Spot any day of the week......

Buy the latest edition of MBR and it's got a test of the best 10 'all-mountain' (i.e. 5" travel) bikes. The Enduro and Turner are the joint winners, but there's plenty of others you could consider. All depends on the price range and what you honestly think you want to do with it - I assumed I'd use my hardtail for climbs and flattish countryside, but the reality is I've hardly ridden it since I got the S-Works. Pity, really, as it's lovely, and even lighter than Bodski's.

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2004, 02:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've just leafed through the latest MBR - looks like the Enduro is worth checking out! Not sure if I'd notice much difference between that and a Giant VT2, which I tried out yesterday and liked!
Old 05 June 2004, 07:42 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

M8 of mines got a specialized epic pro for sale.full suspension XL frame Full XTR, rockshox sid world cups, V trick.......Worth gettin on for £4k only askin £2500. If your interested let us know and i'll put him in contact wiv ya.
Old 05 June 2004, 10:09 PM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

Coyote DH3, these are awesome bits of kit, cheap too!! The only weak links on the bike are the rear shock, seat post and the metal tube at the lower shock mount, although uprated parts can be sort. I love mine though its so strong and offers about 30 different set ups for suspension travel charteristics.
Old 05 June 2004, 11:03 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Test ride a Whyte 46. I did and sold my Orange Sub-5 immediately as a result. It's one of very few bikes to get 10 out of 10 in What Mountain Bike mag. 6 inches of travel front and back and the awesome Maverick USD fork. The rest of the kit is dreamy too!! Costs £2700 but is worth every penny.

It is the best bike I have owned by miles. Climbs superbly and destroys downhills and singletrack. Oh and unlike most of the 'dream' bikes people talk up the Whyte is designed by John Whyte for typical UK sh*tty conditions, so durability won't be an issue
Old 05 June 2004, 11:50 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Anyone want a MY00 Marin Mount Vision
What does that go for second-hand?