Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Identity Fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 09:03 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identity Fraud?

Looking for opinions on this, got a wrongly addressed letter the other week to a Mr Kennedy, address on the letter was exactly mine down to the post code but Mr Kennedy doesn't live here.

I put it aside with the intention of doing a "Not known at this address" on it and posting it back to Tesco ( who'd sent it ).

3 days later I get a phonecall from some call centre looking for a Mr Kennedy, penny didn't drop until after I'd put the phone down.

Now I have a Mr Kennedy with my address and phone number. Might have been Tesco phoning and looking for him - just wondering if these companies do matches of phone number against address or vice versa and it's just an innocent mistake. Or do I have something more to worry about?
Old 01 June 2004, 09:11 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Don't know what may be happening, but best not to ignore it, would suggest that you drop tesco a line, enclose the letter addressed to your Mr Kennedy and explain the situation to them. Keep copies of the letters you send and if you feel really nervey you could report it to the Police
Old 01 June 2004, 09:12 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

How long have you been at your address and was there a Mr Kennedy there in the past? I've been at my address for about 4 years, but occasionally get stuff addressed to a Mr X. As I live alone, I just tend to open all letters that come in without checking to see who they are addressed to and it looks like some people are after this Mr X for some money.

My neighbours on both sides have been in the houses for a long time and neither could remember a Mr X in the reasonably recent past, but I then discovered a receipt for some roofing work made out to this Mr X at this address.

There could be an innocent explanation.
Old 01 June 2004, 09:13 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Get a few credit cards with Mr Kennedys name on them and go shopping...

I'd contact Tesco's and see if they can help - you might be up against the data protection act but they might be able to tell you who supplies their data and you could follow it up from there.
Old 01 June 2004, 11:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Apply for a tesco credit card in his name - they already have him on file and they will get your credit file to match to the address. Once you have the credit card, apply for a driving test - get a licence - then a passport - get a national insurance number - start letting a room to Mr Kennedy for about a grand a month - after two or three months get Mr Kennedy to claim income support and then housing benefit. Finally, once you have created a good credit history for Mr Kennedy, buy a Ferrari on finance, take as much cash as you can from the cards and let him disappear. - You can be sure Tesco's and the fuzz will spare no effort to find him then
Old 02 June 2004, 02:30 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

LoL @ Fast Bloke......yeah phoned Tesco as suggested just threw the DPA issue up and didn't progress. So I guess all I can do is keep my eyes open and keep a note of whats happening - either that or start living a double life!
Old 02 June 2004, 04:36 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tesco will quote the DPA at you and not be helpful because they don't want to admit their database is incorrect - also a breach of the DPA, so they hide one flaw to reveal another in their system.

How long have you lived at your address and is the phone number the original number of the house or did you take it with you? Go to 192.com and search for Mr. Kennedy on the electoral role register, if he's there waving at you the error by Tesco is probably legitimate.

There are quite a few scenarios, and I won't go into them all, but it's also quite possible for Mr Kennedy to owe money to people and they are trying to contact him at the last known address. If bailiffs arrive on your doorstep show them proof of ID (passport/driving licence) and they'll be on their way immediately.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, many companies have inaccurate databases and don't bother cleansing their data. Tesco personal finance do have good, accurate data which know for a fact is cross-matched (so they won't make silly mistakes) but I can't vouch for the separate Clubcard database they have.

(I work in this area so if things escalate or become more bizarre send me a private message and I'll help you if I can.)

Fast Bloke's comment is well funny but I don't suggest you do it unless you know where the flaws are in his nifty plan!
Old 03 June 2004, 11:57 AM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys.....I've owned the house since new so previous owner is not really an issue here, Minor Threat thanks for the offer of help I'll go check 192.com etc and keep my eyes open for anything else suspicious. If things take a turn for the worse I'll take you up on your kind offer.....