Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

accidents on motorways...

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 09:25 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accidents on motorways...

why do people f**king look??? you like sitting in queues?
Old 19 May 2004, 09:26 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Because it gives them a break from texting.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:37 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Their lives lack excitement.

It's so they can go into work and say "Yeah I saw that accident on the motorway, there was a woman with her arm hanging off".
Old 19 May 2004, 09:38 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

often complaints about 'rubber neckers', but isn't it a case of slowing down because there's something unfamiliar / potentially hazardous going on?
Old 19 May 2004, 09:40 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

you mean while driving...thats very true, that & doing the times crossword all at the same time even saw some brushing their teeth this morning lol

i mean why slow down to look & cause a standstill when there is no need. But we love queues so much we create them for no reason. We dont have time to brush our teeth at home but we have time to create traffic jams
Old 19 May 2004, 10:07 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Q: accidents on motorways... why do people f**king look??? you like sitting in queues?

A: Some people like to see others in pain and misery- in short they get off on it. Although they probably wouldn't admit it, even to themselves.
Old 19 May 2004, 10:45 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Guilty as charged.

Saw the aftermath of an accident on M6 a couple of years ago near Birmingham, a Range Rover towing a Horsebox had somehow managed to get airborne and land on the horsebox crushing it, and it's contents.

Could see a couple of legs poking out of the debris - and the amount of blood would have made Tarantino cringe.

...you can't help looking at something different when you've just done 200+ motorway miles non-stop...
Old 19 May 2004, 11:00 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It's only human nature to look at something unusual. No real difference to people looking across the street if they see a fight or someone shouting or nice car etc.. However, some drivers do take the michael and slow right down too much to have a really good look. I guess they're the same that hang around the aforementioned fight on the street chanting 'fight, fight, fight' like at school.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:28 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I don't think the slow-down is caused so much by rubber-neckers, but by inconsiderate tw*ts who, even though they have read the signs stating that there's been an accident and 1 or 2 lanes have been closed, insist on staying in the outside lane till the very last minute and then get pi$$ed off because no one will let them in the queue before they hit the cones. If everyone just got into the correct lane when they see the signs the traffic would flow a lot smoother.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:00 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Use the gantry signs.

Lane 1 : rubberneckers.
Lane 2 : minimum speed 50mph (camera enforced).

I would choose Lane 2 every time.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:36 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

"If everyone just got into the correct lane when they see the signs the traffic would flow a lot smoother."

Not always true unfortunately! On the way to Scotland on a 3 lane section of motorway, road works ahead meant that lane 1 was closing, 800 yards. The 50 zone didn't start for another quarter mile, but some dumphuck in lane 1 travelling at 50 decided to indicate and pull out right in front of me, in lane 2 travelling at 70. Lane 3 was already occupied so an emergency brake was in order. If he had read the signs correctly he could have maintained a constant 50 and merged when the 50 zone started.
Old 19 May 2004, 03:38 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"If everyone just got into the correct lane when they see the signs the traffic would flow a lot smoother."

i was under the impression that while the road was avalible you used it- as such i drove (esp in the bemmer!) all the way to the cones then pulled in. i dont stop at red lights 300 yards short so why should i pull in with X yards to go?
Old 19 May 2004, 04:00 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Tiggs has hit the nail squarely on the head- if the road is free to be used then use it. This means smaller queues for us all, well it would apart from the pathetic mentality of the British people that interprets full use of the the road as jumping the queue somehow. Had this a few times in my hire car last week- guess what I just sailed down the outside then filtered in- if the other car driver wanted to make an issue of it then I'm quite happy to risk my £50 CDW on having a smash.

Hey f*ckwits why not use both lanes and then filter in at the end like everyone else in the ******* world? Because you are too ******* stupid perhaps?
Old 19 May 2004, 04:09 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Pure genius.....