Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problem connecting to net (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2004, 01:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem connecting to net (help please)

Ok, I know its computer related but if I can get a quick answer here we can lock or delete

My brother just bought a laptop and we got a BT Voyager Wireless Newtwork thing so that both the PC downstairs and the laptop can talk and use the broadband connection. The laptop is working fine (typing on it now) but the PC is having a nightmare! It can connect to the wireless network, get emails and connect into directly secure sites (for example online banking) but it cannot connect to the internet in any way. It comes up with "Forbidden - you were denied access because: Access denied by access control list"

We've tried to disable every form of firewall, etc but to no avail. What is wrong? What is the solution? We phoned the BT Voyager people who say that the wireless network is working fine and the problem must be with BT Broadband. They said there stuff is all fine and it must be the Voyager people

What is WEP and WEP settings. My mate thinks it might have something to do with this/these?
Old 15 May 2004, 01:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

WEP is Wireless Encryption Protocol - used to secure communications between your PC and the wireless router. It wouldn't actually affect your ability to access websites - it either works or it doesn't.

Have you got the wireless router set up to spoof MAC addresses? I don't know if BT allow multiple PCs, but most broadband services register the MAC address of the first PC to connect to the Internet. Was the service working OK when just the original PC was connected to the service? You say you can't connect to the Internet, but you also say you can get to certain sites - it does sound as if you are connecting in some form.

Other than that - I'm not sure. Bit of a strange one.

Chris
Old 15 May 2004, 01:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Its ok I solved the problem I went into the 'internet options' advanced on both the laptop AND the PC and made sure that all the settings on each were the same. Problem solved

***DELETE THREAD AT WILL***
Old 15 May 2004, 01:34 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Problem solved
glad to hear it. now you can get back to lifting weights and eating clean food