Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO People who keep rabbits...

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 01:02 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAO People who keep rabbits...

Well i took my 10mth old mini-lop to the vet today as he's not himself, very aggressive etc. And aswell as having a mite infestation he's got severe teeth problems both front and back. So the vet has suggested seeing how he goes and go back and have them filed down under anaesthetic. I have had rabbits have this sort of operation before and they have all but one died soon after having it done because of the shock i think. The one that survived the operation died 3months later as the teeth grew back just as bad.

Has anyone else had this problem and had a successful outcome? I thought a few of you might have kids who keep rabbits and so have come across this before. I'm worried about the teeth roots growing up into eye area and affecting the tear ducts. The vets bills could be horrendous!!!

Also i think he was born with this problem as what i have read indicates this. I don't think just eating hay and chewing wood is going to cure him now

I think Mice_Elf keeps rabbits-any advice?

Thanks
Old 14 May 2004, 01:38 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this

Can't offer any advice..

Andy
Old 14 May 2004, 01:47 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I *believe* that you can chop rabbit's teeth. They have a significant portion above the nerve and a qualified vet can just lop off the top, rather than going under anaesthetic.

What sorts of food are you giving your rabbit? If you can get him really crunchy stuff, with salt lick and anything else to grind his teeth on, this will help to keep them down.

Usually rabbit's teeth take care of themselves, but it is very sad that yours are growing too much. It's normally a sign of inbreeding I think.

I've had rabbits under anaesthetic and not one of them has died. 2 of my males have just had "the op" and obviously they were under and are both fine. One is now 9 months and 1 4 months old.

Previously my other rabbits have also had the same op and lived rich healthy lives - one even lived to 9, after having the op at 4 months old.

Maybe if your rabbits are dying afterwards that the vet is giving them too big a dose of anaesthetic or not caring for them properly afterwards....? Might be an idea to look at changing your vets.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:52 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mice_Elf
I *believe* that you can chop rabbit's teeth. They have a significant portion above the nerve and a qualified vet can just lop off the top, rather than going under anaesthetic.

What sorts of food are you giving your rabbit? If you can get him really crunchy stuff, with salt lick and anything else to grind his teeth on, this will help to keep them down.

Usually rabbit's teeth take care of themselves, but it is very sad that yours are growing too much. It's normally a sign of inbreeding I think.

I've had rabbits under anaesthetic and not one of them has died. 2 of my males have just had "the op" and obviously they were under and are both fine. One is now 9 months and 1 4 months old.

Previously my other rabbits have also had the same op and lived rich healthy lives - one even lived to 9, after having the op at 4 months old.

Maybe if your rabbits are dying afterwards that the vet is giving them too big a dose of anaesthetic or not caring for them properly afterwards....? Might be an idea to look at changing your vets.
Hi

No it wasn't the vets-we moved around alot so they always saw different ones. This rabbit has had anaesthetic already and he was fine....i'm going to give him and chance and have the op done but long term, its going to be impossible for me to keep taking him for this to be done every 3-4weeks. Is it apple wood that they can chew do you know?
Old 14 May 2004, 02:07 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Found here : http://www.allearssac.org/medical.html

"Teeth

Rabbits' teeth can be misaligned. This condition is known as malocclusion, which means that a rabbit's constantly-growing teeth are not wearing down properly. If the misalignment is bad, the teeth will need to be clipped periodically so that the rabbit can eat. Your veterinarian can do this for you, or can show you how to do it at home. Usually malocclusion just strikes the front teeth, but occasionally, the back teeth can also be misaligned. One indication of this is a wet chin that is caused by drooling. If this is the case, your rabbit will need his molars trimmed by a veterinarian on a regular basis."
Old 14 May 2004, 02:12 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Weapon69 - Wood is good for rabbits to chew on - I generally throw fallen branches off ours into the run and they will happily gnaw it down to a match.

I'll keep looking, but probably the best way to calm Dougal & Dillon is to lay them on their back in your arms. This sends them into an almost hypnotic state, as I'm sure you know. If they're happy being that way, get them used to being touched around the mouth, but without doing anything - this will help if you decide to clip the teeth at home.

You can get animal chews from good pet centres so it's probably worth investing in a lot of those.
Old 14 May 2004, 02:14 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mice

I've already seen that site and a few hundred others looking for advice lol...the vet i saw seems to think that having the back teeth filed automatically means having general anesthetic? Personally i'm convinced he was born with this problem. V sad though

p.s how are the baby rabbits you were feeding?
Old 14 May 2004, 02:16 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

This sends them into an almost hypnotic state, as I'm sure you know.
Not sure hypnotic is the word i'd use, psychotic maybe Its the only way i get a decent look at his teeth-grumpy little git
Old 14 May 2004, 02:19 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My rabbit keeps his teeth trim by biting my wires and de barking the trees!
Good Luck i love my ginger fat sod he`s nuts!
Old 14 May 2004, 02:19 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Poor thing.

Probably the best option then is to have them clipped / filed and then keep lots of wooden pet toys around for him to chew. Hay and carrots will be good as well, to keep the molars down.

I'll keep searching to see what else I can find..

Unfortunately the baby rabbits died. They seemed to catch an infection as they went downhill very quickly. We buried them in the garden and planted fruit trees over them.
Old 14 May 2004, 02:28 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

You could try putting a breeze block in with him as well - chinchillas love chewing on these and it keeps their teeth filed nicely. Not sure it helps with the back ones, but if he can at least get food into his mouth, the grinding of it may help with the back teeth.
Old 14 May 2004, 02:58 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

=nods= Strange as it may sound. If you look in chinchilla's cages in pet shops you'll see a very rounded breeze block as they constantly chew on these. Honestly, I'm not going mad!
Old 14 May 2004, 03:19 PM
scoobybitch
Scooby Regular

I know it may sound wierd but burnt toast especially the crusts helps. I had a rabbit that lived to the age of 10 years old and he had toast every morning, he never had a problem with his teeth (it was a vet that advised us on this)
Old 14 May 2004, 03:22 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobybitch
I know it may sound wierd but burnt toast especially the crusts helps. I had a rabbit that lived to the age of 10 years old and he had toast every morning, he never had a problem with his teeth (it was a vet that advised us on this)
Yup Dougal has had toast-he loves it
Old 14 May 2004, 03:41 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Our's has just had a mite infestation, looked like he had really bad dandruff and his fur was falling out. This was easily sorted with 3 jabs 2 weeks apart.

We also put fallen branches into his run for him to chew on. Apple seems to ba a favourite. If you have an apple tree and dont mind pruning it regularly, ours loves a small length (15cms) of fairly thin branch including leaves, he eats the leaves and the branch.
Old 14 May 2004, 03:44 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

interesting you should mention toast - ours loves a piece for breakfast every morning too!
Old 14 May 2004, 04:43 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just tried to give him toast (usually his favourite) and he tried to eat it but ended up spitting it out He can't chew at all.......
Old 14 May 2004, 06:02 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

When's his first vet's appt? If he's not eating at all he could easily start to starve / dehydrate. Initially you could get some cat milk substitute and mix that up for him, to ensure that he's strong enough to go under anaesthetic. Otherwise, the vets will have to keep him in on a drip for a day or so before the operation.
Old 14 May 2004, 06:04 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Mice_Elf
When's his first vet's appt? If he's not eating at all he could easily start to starve / dehydrate. Initially you could get some cat milk substitute and mix that up for him, to ensure that he's strong enough to go under anaesthetic. Otherwise, the vets will have to keep him in on a drip for a day or so before the operation.
The vet said bring him back in 2weeks. But i think he'll end up going back sooner....
Old 14 May 2004, 06:17 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

An adorable little girl, all blonde curls and blue eyes walks into a pet
shop and asks in the sweetest little lisp:

"...Excuthe me, mithter, do you keep widdle wabbits?..."

The shopkeeper's heart melts and he gets down on his knees, so that he's
on her level, and asks: "...Do you want a widdle white wabby or a thoft
and fuwwy bwack wabby or maybe one like that cute widdle bwown wabby over
there?..."

She, blushing, rocks on her heel, puts her hands on her knees, leans
forward and says in a quiet voice; "...

I don't fink my python weally gives a *****...."

sorry, coul'nt resist
simon
Old 14 May 2004, 10:22 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

My rabbit had a tooth/teeth growing down in to her jaw, causing an abcess. We tooke her to the vet but because of where the tooth was, it would be very difficult to get at, and the vet didn't want to operate cos Sooty had had snuffles. She was still eating and acting her normal self at the time, but we were told that she would eventually get to the stage where eating would be too painful, but no idea when. She lived for a good few months before this happened, still happily chasing her ball around, before she started having trouble eating hard food (banana was fine) and she eventually died. The vet also told us that teeth are a common problem with dwarf lops as Sooty was.
Our guinea pig had teeth problems, but they managed to sort it without using anasthetic, but that may depend on the animal's personality as Fudge didn't seem to mind at all.
We used to have a block of wood in the hutch/run for them to chew on, which is supposed to help.
Bex
Old 15 May 2004, 04:02 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Ours loves dried pitta bread. Or toast.

But he won't touch and bark or wood. Maybe because he's bloody awkward?

Sorry I can't help much, but I do have some apple twigs if you want 'em...

SB

Quick Reply: FAO People who keep rabbits...