Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have the DVLA gone stark raving mad?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 06:43 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Have the DVLA gone stark raving mad?

Just come home to find that, out of the blue, I have received a V5 certificate for my car. Apparently I purchased the car off myself on 27/4/2004 and the number of previous owners has gone up one too!

Previous Keeper: Me
Current Keeper: Me

Number of previous owners: 2 (The dealer and me)!!!

wtf!?!?
Old 13 May 2004, 06:46 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

well least you have one.... i bought my smart 28th Feb.
wheres the v5?????
gone back to the original owner.. who called them up weeks ago and told them.. they saif 'bin it'
i'm without v5... hav to fill out v62 to re gister to me..£19.95!! as if i'll pay that when its there fault.

the dvla think the original owner still has the car! lol
Old 15 June 2004, 08:39 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Default UPDATE

Shortly after starting this thread I had a right rant at them over the phone (was really arsey by the time I had negotiated a route through the automated phone system that actually lead me to a human being!!!)

The first woman I spoke to was incompetant and I told her so . The second woman was very helpful (also told her so) and assured me that, contrary to what the first woman had told me, I didn't need to write in and fill a load of forms.

Sure enough, my 3rd V5 has just turned up and has been correctly "rolled back" in terms of owner details and number of previous owners! Result!
Old 15 June 2004, 08:54 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

They did that to me when I filled a change of adress in. I was the last and current owner at the same time
Old 15 June 2004, 09:27 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

AJM,

Did you by any chance re-tax it last month or very recently?
Old 15 June 2004, 10:12 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thecirsch
AJM,

Did you by any chance re-tax it last month or very recently?
Renewed end of Feb.
Old 15 June 2004, 11:29 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

In that case I maybe able to shed some light on this subject.

At the moment the DVLA are sending out new V5's (log books) to all the registered keepers of cars after they are taxed. Apparently, this will be complete by April 2005, however, don't hold your breath that it will be done by then, as there are around 33 million cars currently registered with them.

The old log book (ie, the one which is blue with the green and red attachments) SHOULD be obsolete by then, again don't hold your breath.

There is a good reason why this has been done. However, I'm not going to go into this on an open forum such as this. I only found out about this today.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers
Old 16 June 2004, 06:51 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The thing is, I only bought the car in January so it already had a new style V5!
Old 16 June 2004, 09:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

To be fair to them though, I have always found them to be extremely helpful and efficient at our local DVLA office.

Les
Old 16 June 2004, 09:46 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Have you ever thought about a job in MI5, thecirsch?

I *do* find it amusing when people believe they are in possession of a State secret!
Old 16 June 2004, 09:50 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

This thread has reminded me. I sent my car's V5 away in Feb when I taxed it, to register an engine number change, And I haven't had it back yet

It's probably something to do with the dodgy postal service in these parts
Old 16 June 2004, 10:10 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Have you ever thought about a job in MI5, thecirsch?

I *do* find it amusing when people believe they are in possession of a State secret!
<rant>
I think the only secret the DVLA is trying to withold is the fact that their systems and staff are woefully inadequate for the purposes of administering the numbers of cars that they do. We have to jump through hoops with nonsensical beaurocratic forms and miscellaneaous paraphernalia under the threat of fines, crushed cars and chinese torture for making a single mistake or oversight. They, on the other hand, are free to drop clangers here there and everywhere and cheerfully laugh them off over a phone call!!! The "new" V5 sums it up perfectly.... a single page, concise V5 form has now expanded into 3 pages of chuff. I don't DO paper... and in this day and age there is no reason why I should!

I am seriously considering firing the DVLA as my vehicular licencing and registration authority, adopting in their place my parents home island of Guernsey. Low road tax, no endorsements, no MOT and no chuff!!!

</rant>

.... and relax!
Old 16 June 2004, 10:14 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Radox lavender bubble-bath group buy, anyone?
Old 16 June 2004, 10:22 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

Must admit I've been pretty P'd off with the DVLA lately also, firstly they "lost" the reg docs for my new bike meaning it had to sit in my garage for 3 weeks without any tax on it "it was like taking a kid to a sweetie shop and saying you can look but your no getting any" then when they finally did get it out to me they somehow managed to send it to my previous address

John.
Old 17 June 2004, 01:21 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

Little bit of info which might shed light on why the DVLA are in the state they are in.

DVLA's IT (and AFAIK a lot of the admin) was outsourced a number of years ago to a little american company called EDS.

EDS are also the people who run a lot of government IT like the CSA, Inland Revenue (but I think they just lost that contract) and suchlike. I worked for them for 2 years (they bought the organisation I worked for) before it all got too much and I couldn't hack it any more. I was lucky to leave with my sanity intact as far as I'm concerned.

And of course, being a large american IT services company, all they're interested in is profit. And they're past masters at writing the contracts so that they're not responsible for anything... except ensuring that they get paid.

So don't blame the poor guys on the front line at the DVLA for it all being cr*p - it's not their fault, they haven't got any control over it at all and are probably hating it a hell of a lot more than you!
Old 17 June 2004, 01:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

EDS... ah that explains it!

They also "do" IT for Rolls Royce (aero) I believe.... poor sods!
Old 17 June 2004, 01:31 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

Yup. Their favourite trick is to go in with a low bid on an outsourcing contract, nail the terms down so that *everything* the customer might conceivably want becomes a chargeable extra, and then screw the staff and infrastructure of the outsourced organisation into the wall to maximise the profit margins. Quality and service are only words on the contract document once EDS have their hands on the money. They even have people who are called "Service Delivery Managers" whose job it is to monitor everything against the SLAs and ensure that nothing is ever EDS's fault...

The effect on the poor sods at the sharp end, who are stuck in the middle between the customer and the EDS management, is not pretty...
Old 17 June 2004, 01:43 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

All too familiar with that one. I used to be an IT manager for BAE SYSTEMS and had to manage the IT support contract (9 lever-arch file 's worth!) with CSC on a daily basis. *shudder*