Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

causing RTA through dangerous driving - sackable offence?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 09:41 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question causing RTA through dangerous driving - sackable offence?

would it be normal to sack someone who caused an RTA (driving company van), if they were subsequently prosecuted by the police for dangerous driving?
Old 12 May 2004, 09:49 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

All depends on the company HR policy but given that it could paint the company concerned in a bad light (especially if it's a big PLC), I think it could be reasonable grounds for dismissal or certainly a bollocking of biblical proportions.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Kav
Old 12 May 2004, 10:06 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The short answer is yes....
Old 12 May 2004, 10:09 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

it's not me, honest!

tbh i think if it is proven that they were driving dangerously it merits sacking, considering the potential to casue death etc. apparently the third party had to be cut out of their car

hopefully they are not badly injured - cue massive compo claim in any case.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:13 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

definately yes, your driver is a representative of your company whilst out driving, that is gross misconduct.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:06 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Question

If you were wearing clothing with the company logo all over it and decided to punch a customer in the face, would you expect to keep your job?
Old 12 May 2004, 11:14 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

just been updated - apparently the driver went into the back of someone who "braked unexpectedly"

although it wasn't a very severe impact, the third party decided that they couldn't get out of their car so the emegency services cut the roof off. *allegedly* the paramedics were having a bit of a giggle as the bloke was hamming it up to the max, no doubt in support of the forthcoming "whiplash injury" claim.

sigh.
Old 12 May 2004, 12:11 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

The thing about not getting out of your car PC, as I have found to my cost, is that if you do get out then you arent (usually) injured. This means that if you phone the police, they wont (usually) attend a RTA. I had someone run into me and I was a bit dubious about their details, dodgy looking old banger etc. So, I phoned the police, who wouldnt attend as no one was injured, and it turned out the guys details were false and the car was a ringer on false plates. I cant really fault someone for claimimg they are injured just to get the police to attend these days
Old 12 May 2004, 12:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
I phoned the police, who wouldnt attend as no one was injured, and it turned out the guys details were false and the car was a ringer on false plates. I cant really fault someone for claimimg they are injured just to get the police to attend these days
fair point, i suppose. however in this case there was a sign written van with the company's name and phone number all over it. seems a bit OTT to get the roof cut off your car just to prove a point.

i suppose that's just how it goes.

<shrug>
Old 12 May 2004, 12:35 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

hitting someone up the **** is not dangerous driving merely a CD10 offence, careless driving.
Old 12 May 2004, 01:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like this guy was a compensation claim in waiting. He waited for a heavily signed van to be behind him and slammed on the brakes. Cue amatuer dramatics to shore up any claim - sounds pretty dramatic to be cut out of the wreckage. Maybe the police should investigate why this guy stopped suddenly...
Old 12 May 2004, 01:21 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Yeah PC, I agree in this case it sounds like he's gonna be on the phone soon to 'ambulance chasers direct'
Old 12 May 2004, 04:32 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Ah, this sounds more like a pikey scam than a dangerous driving to me.

My sister witnessed something similar a few months ago. Three pikeys in a car were continuously slamming on the brakes in front of a woman driver, who was in front of my sis. Anyway they finally got fed up of not being hit, and decided to reverse into the woman, they then got out of the car and started to berate the woman for running into the back of them Unfortunately for them, my sis is no shrinking Violet & jumped straight out of the car telling the pikeys that she had phoned the police and they were on their way. The pikeys **** themselves, jumped back in the car and tried to f**k off, only to be stopped half a mile up the road & have leaving the scene added to the list of charges for the magistrate to later ignore!
Old 12 May 2004, 04:45 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

hmmm - i hadn't heard of that scam, ChrisP.

as far as i know, this was a genuine accident. there might have been an element of carelessness on the part of the van driver. what does seem likely is that once the third party realised what had happened saw that it was a brand new, sign written vehicle (read "well insured") that had crashed into him, decided to milk it for all it's worth. i do not know the full circumstances yet, so i could be jumping to conclusions. if he has suffered kneck injuries it will probably be due to incorrectly adjusted head rest.
Old 12 May 2004, 05:57 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Couple of years ago there was a trend for scams like this in America. One car would take your attention by driving very close behind and maybe flash lights etc, while another would move in front and brake suddenly while you are distracted. Then big claim etc.