Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone studied an HNC?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 03:04 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone studied an HNC?

They are just below an HND in terms of level of education. I did want to do either an HND or degree but the only option open to me is part-time study and open university is too expensive! So is it completely worthless qualification or a case of something better than a-levels?

Thanks

W69
Old 29 April 2004, 03:10 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I've been doing a part time degree. From what I can work out- HNC is equivalent to the first year of a full time degree. HND is first year and a half (ish).
I would say an HNC is worth doing. Its defo better than just A levels and will become more important in time as Blair and his cronies keep on de-valueing A levels imo.
Old 29 April 2004, 03:20 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geddon
I've been doing a part time degree. From what I can work out- HNC is equivalent to the first year of a full time degree. HND is first year and a half (ish).
I would say an HNC is worth doing. Its defo better than just A levels and will become more important in time as Blair and his cronies keep on de-valueing A levels imo.

How long will your p/t degree take to complete? I've looked into that also but the circumstances need to be quite flexible for me to be able to return to education.
Old 29 April 2004, 03:21 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

I did an HNC as part of my apprenticeship, I have never needed a higher qualification for any position to date ( Design Engineer ) as it seems experience counts for more.
Have to admit I am now doing a degree part time ( god knows why !) But because of HNC I got to skip the firsr two years

Big Daz
Old 29 April 2004, 03:23 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Done an HNC, well worthy certificate IMO and at the end of it my college gave me the option of staying on for 1 extra year and completing a HND (diploma) again well worth it, unfortuantely I turned it down as Id been doing part time college for 6 years and couldnt be bothered anymore with it
Old 29 April 2004, 03:28 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Degree is 6yrs part time. 1&2 are HNC and year 1,2&3 are HND. Day a week.
Old 29 April 2004, 03:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Yep. 2 years.

Computing or something like that
Old 29 April 2004, 03:57 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

I did a 5 year stint part time to get an HNC (construction technology)

Came out of school with nothing worth talking about, whilst i recognise it's a pretty normal qualification these days, it's better than A levels
Old 29 April 2004, 04:01 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies I'm going to talk to the college about when i can start. Unfortunately the official start date in Oct/Nov isn't great, so i'm going to see if i can start earlier. I assume the course is divided into units? If so hopefully it won't matter what order they are done in.
Old 29 April 2004, 04:07 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

I did a part time HNC for 2 years and once passing that it put me on the 3rd year of a 5 year degree!

So yes it is worth doing and i thought HNC was equal to a HND just HNC is studied part-time and HND full-time?
Old 29 April 2004, 04:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Sonic_Danny
So yes it is worth doing and i thought HNC was equal to a HND just HNC is studied part-time and HND full-time?
nar the HNC is a 2 yr part time course and HND 3 year part time course as when I did the HNC after 2 years they offered me an extra year to do the HND, didnt bother though
Old 29 April 2004, 04:50 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I did an HNC (1 year) then an HND (1 year). I then got into 3rd year of university.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've got an ONC,HNC and HND.

Each one was 2 years part-time (One day & one evening a week). However some colleges offer HND's over one year part-time. You can also do HNC/D'c full time.

I've only once knowingly been discriminated against for not have a degree - and that was with a snooty bank (with snooty clients that they billed). You can normally apply for jobs that specify a degree with an HNC/HND. As most HNC/D grads have practical real world experience, they are often more able to hit the ground running that a fresh uni grad. That advantage disappears once you get to your late twenties.

If you can manage it, I would recommend that you try for a degree, or at least use an HND as a stepping stone for a degree. Depending on the industry, employers are often biased towards uni graduates, so you'll have more opputunities as one.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:32 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

im currently doin a HND in computing which can be made into a degree if i do a year @ uni after these 2 doin HND

was doing a degree in automotive engineering and design last year but hated it, the HND although in diferent subject is great alot more flexible and can be converted into a HNC if i decide to go part time and same with HNC that can be converted into a HND at a later date if u whish