Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling a car

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 01:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Selling a car

Last wednesday I advertised my sisters 306 diesel for sale on Autotrader and a guy calls on Thursday and says he wants to come and look, great I think and ask when but he says Sunday. This is fine I tell him but only if I still have it then. He leaves his name but no phone number (called on work landline)

Friday comes and a woman phones me up and comes to look and buys it instantly Nice result

He phones me up on Saturday night and says that he is coming tomorrow (Sunday) and doesn't even ask if I still have it When I tell him that it's gone he starts telling me that he had an appointment to view it on Sunday I told him again that I wasn't keeping the car for him and he hangs up

Has this guy never bought anything in his life? How could he expect me not to show it to anyone and wait for him I had 8 phone calls over 2 days for the car and had people queuing up to come and view it. Was I supposed to put them on hold 'til he turned up?

Some people
Old 29 April 2004, 01:21 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he take your address ?

If so, go out on Sunday.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:22 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Did he forget to mention that the world revolves around him and only him
Old 29 April 2004, 01:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by yoza
Did he take your address ?

If so, go out on Sunday.
Just remembered he did How funny would that have been

Last edited by Paulo P; 29 April 2004 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Forgot that he did have the address :-o
Old 29 April 2004, 01:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ian_sadler
Did he forget to mention that the world revolves around him and only him
He seemed to have a very funny attitude I mean what good is it giving someone your name but not your number???? I was just waiting for the **** to turn up on Sunday to view it but it had gone
Old 29 April 2004, 01:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

shocking mate. you should have made out like it was still available and sent him to the other side of the street, then watch as the theatrics unfold
astraboy.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:27 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

It's a world of nutters out there, mate!
Old 29 April 2004, 01:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by astraboy
shocking mate. you should have made out like it was still available and sent him to the other side of the street, then watch as the theatrics unfold
astraboy.
Now you tell me

Old 29 April 2004, 01:32 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
very true
Old 29 April 2004, 01:36 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
yep! and doesnt selling a car bring them out in force
Old 29 April 2004, 01:44 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

sounds like a tyre kicker if he didnt want to give out his number, that way makes it easy to back out!
Old 29 April 2004, 02:26 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Hate selling cars because of exactly these reasons.... which explains why I own more than I can drive.
Old 29 April 2004, 02:33 PM
bedzag
Scooby Newbie

I've just advertised mine on this site - had to take it off because there was so much interest, and now it turns out they were all tyre-kickers and timewasters.
Old 29 April 2004, 02:35 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Nothing but to55ers on here mate..... didn't anybody tell you?
Old 29 April 2004, 02:40 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 29 April 2004, 04:03 PM
i love scooby snacks
Scooby Regular

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Advertised my 318iS on Sunday and got my 1st call on Monday. Guy wanted to come straight away from Oxford to view it (im in Herts) but I was off to see Kill Bill so said it will have to wait until Tuesday 7pm.
Tuesday recieve a second call in the morning from a guy in London and want to view it the same time as the guy from Oxford. I explained the situation and said if he calls me before he leave I can tell him if the guy from Oxford is on his way down or not as he will ring me when he leaves at 5.30 as it will take him an hour and a half to get here so he should have 1st refusal.

Guy from Oxford rings his on his was and turns up on time. While out on the test drive guy from London phones up and says his in hatfield and where does he go to get to mine. I tell him will have to call him back in 20mins. Guy from Oxford gives me a good offer for the car which I accept so have to ring the guy from London and tell him to enjoy his wasted journey home as I did tell him to call me before he left his house. He was pissed off to say the least!
Old 29 April 2004, 04:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

So this happens quite a bit then I thought it was a one off no wonder my sister didn't want to sell the car.
Old 29 April 2004, 04:54 PM
i love scooby snacks
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I'd rather have the above problem rather than having nobody to view the car in the first place
Old 29 April 2004, 04:58 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

True. I had lots of calls on my Lancia of the same nature but nobody actually showed up in person
Old 29 April 2004, 04:58 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Years back i was selling my first car, a pristine Lada Samara SLX

A bloke from Birminham/Bradford called and said he had cash waiting but couldn't get to Swindon till the following weekend. I told him to call before coming to look at it to check it was still for sale and that i'd sell it beforehand if i had a firm offer.

Saturday comes, the car is long gone by now after another chap turns up and pays cash.

I get a phonecall saying he's about to leave Birmingham/Bradford, so i tell him not to bother as it's sold and has been collected. A couple of hours later he calls me from Swindon bus station asking for directions to my house, he'd only got a taxi all the way here to come and see it.

Again i explain that it had gone days ago, he went ballistic, threatening to track me down and come to my house. He wanted me to call the bloke i'd sold it to and get it back, he was prepared to offer over the asking price if i could get it back again!

I felt a bit sorry for him but he was obviously a bit of a mentalist, he carried on ringing up from Swindon centre for the next few hours saying he had my address (which i hadn't given him) and he wanted his taxi fare reimbursed if i couldn't get the car back.

FFS it was only a £500 Lada!! Thank christ he never found my house, i was expecting him to come knocking door to door he was that keen.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:01 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Years back i was selling my first car, a pristine Lada Samara SLX

A bloke from Birminham/Bradford called and said he had cash waiting but couldn't get to Swindon till the following weekend. I told him to call before coming to look at it to check it was still for sale and that i'd sell it beforehand if i had a firm offer.

Saturday comes, the car is long gone by now after another chap turns up and pays cash.

I get a phonecall saying he's about to leave Birmingham/Bradford, so i tell him not to bother as it's sold and has been collected. A couple of hours later he calls me from Swindon bus station asking for directions to my house, he'd only got a taxi all the way here to come and see it.

Again i explain that it had gone days ago, he went ballistic, threatening to track me down and come to my house. He wanted me to call the bloke i'd sold it to and get it back, he was prepared to offer over the asking price if i could get it back again!

I felt a bit sorry for him but he was obviously a bit of a mentalist, he carried on ringing up from Swindon centre for the next few hours saying he had my address (which i hadn't given him) and he wanted his taxi fare reimbursed if i couldn't get the car back.

FFS it was only a £500 Lada!! Thank christ he never found my house, i was expecting him to come knocking door to door he was that keen.
Wonder if he has moved on to a 306

lol What a nutter I am shocked by other instances of this happening No wonder people trade in their cars and lose lots of cash
Old 29 April 2004, 05:07 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
lol What a nutter I am shocked by other instances of this happening No wonder people trade in their cars and lose lots of cash
Yup, it put me off selling a car privately for ages. I sold the next one back to a garage at a big loss and scrapped the one after that!

I'm a bit braver now and don't mind risking it

On a related note, a mate of mine was selling a futon in the local paper once. He had a guy phone up at 3am on a sunday morning, pi$$ed out of his head, wanting to buy the futon as he was tired and needed somewhere to sleep!

After being told to **** off, the guy kept trying to ring back untill my mate unplugged the phone, he was in a phonebox somewhere after the nightclubs had chucked out. Priceless!

Iwan
Old 29 April 2004, 05:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Iwan
On a related note, a mate of mine was selling a futon in the local paper once. He had a guy phone up at 3am on a sunday morning, pi$$ed out of his head, wanting to buy the futon as he was tired and needed somewhere to sleep!

After being told to **** off, the guy kept trying to ring back untill my mate unplugged the phone, he was in a phonebox somewhere after the nightclubs had chucked out. Priceless!

Iwan
That is just so funny I p!ssed myself laughing when I read that Classic
Old 29 April 2004, 05:38 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Angry A bit off topic ...

Don't usualy have a prob. with Joe public .... it's fecking auto data and the like who keep phoning up trying to get you to advertise on theit sites. That realy makes me
Old 29 April 2004, 06:28 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ian_sadler
Don't usualy have a prob. with Joe public .... it's fecking auto data and the like who keep phoning up trying to get you to advertise on theit sites. That realy makes me
They just phoned me about 5 minutes ago

My Landy's been up on the websites for a week or so now, with next to no response, except a few wierdos from South Africa, Germany & Sweden, who I'm sure are indulging in a spot of 'laundering'.

It's in the Auto trader now though, & 3 of the Land Rover mags, so hopefully it'll go asap. Having read that, I'm selling to the first person I speak to - as it has the potential to drag on for ever.