ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Selling a car (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/323466-selling-a-car.html)

Paulo P 29 April 2004 01:19 PM

Selling a car

Last wednesday I advertised my sisters 306 diesel for sale on Autotrader and a guy calls on Thursday and says he wants to come and look, great I think and ask when but he says Sunday. This is fine I tell him but only if I still have it then. He leaves his name but no phone number :confused: (called on work landline)

Friday comes and a woman phones me up and comes to look and buys it instantly :cool: Nice result :D

He phones me up on Saturday night and says that he is coming tomorrow (Sunday) and doesn't even ask if I still have it :confused: When I tell him that it's gone he starts telling me that he had an appointment to view it on Sunday :confused: I told him again that I wasn't keeping the car for him and he hangs up :mad:

Has this guy never bought anything in his life? How could he expect me not to show it to anyone and wait for him :confused: I had 8 phone calls over 2 days for the car and had people queuing up to come and view it. Was I supposed to put them on hold 'til he turned up?

Some people :rolleyes:

yoza 29 April 2004 01:21 PM

Did he take your address ?

If so, go out on Sunday.

ian_sadler 29 April 2004 01:22 PM

Did he forget to mention that the world revolves around him and only him :rolleyes:

Paulo P 29 April 2004 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by yoza
Did he take your address ?

If so, go out on Sunday.

Just remembered he did :o How funny would that have been :D

Paulo P 29 April 2004 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ian_sadler
Did he forget to mention that the world revolves around him and only him :rolleyes:

He seemed to have a very funny attitude :confused: I mean what good is it giving someone your name but not your number???? I was just waiting for the **** to turn up on Sunday to view it but it had gone :rolleyes:

astraboy 29 April 2004 01:26 PM

shocking mate. you should have made out like it was still available and sent him to the other side of the street, then watch as the theatrics unfold :D
astraboy.

micared 29 April 2004 01:27 PM

It's a world of nutters out there, mate!

Paulo P 29 April 2004 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by astraboy
shocking mate. you should have made out like it was still available and sent him to the other side of the street, then watch as the theatrics unfold :D
astraboy.

Now you tell me :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D

Paulo P 29 April 2004 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by micared

very true :(

RichWalk 29 April 2004 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by micared

yep! and doesnt selling a car bring them out in force :D

GaryK 29 April 2004 01:44 PM

sounds like a tyre kicker if he didnt want to give out his number, that way makes it easy to back out!

micared 29 April 2004 02:26 PM

Hate selling cars because of exactly these reasons.... which explains why I own more than I can drive. :D

bedzag 29 April 2004 02:33 PM

I've just advertised mine on this site - had to take it off because there was so much interest, and now it turns out they were all tyre-kickers and timewasters.

micared 29 April 2004 02:35 PM

Nothing but to55ers on here mate..... didn't anybody tell you? :D :D

Paulo P 29 April 2004 02:40 PM

lol :D

i love scooby snacks 29 April 2004 04:03 PM

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Advertised my 318iS on Sunday and got my 1st call on Monday. Guy wanted to come straight away from Oxford to view it (im in Herts) but I was off to see Kill Bill so said it will have to wait until Tuesday 7pm.
Tuesday recieve a second call in the morning from a guy in London and want to view it the same time as the guy from Oxford. I explained the situation and said if he calls me before he leave I can tell him if the guy from Oxford is on his way down or not as he will ring me when he leaves at 5.30 as it will take him an hour and a half to get here so he should have 1st refusal.

Guy from Oxford rings his on his was and turns up on time. While out on the test drive guy from London phones up and says his in hatfield and where does he go to get to mine. I tell him will have to call him back in 20mins. Guy from Oxford gives me a good offer for the car which I accept so have to ring the guy from London and tell him to enjoy his wasted journey home as I did tell him to call me before he left his house. He was pissed off to say the least!

Paulo P 29 April 2004 04:08 PM

So this happens quite a bit then :( I thought it was a one off :o no wonder my sister didn't want to sell the car.

i love scooby snacks 29 April 2004 04:54 PM

To be honest, I'd rather have the above problem rather than having nobody to view the car in the first place

Paulo P 29 April 2004 04:58 PM

True. I had lots of calls on my Lancia of the same nature but nobody actually showed up in person :confused:

Iwan 29 April 2004 04:58 PM

Years back i was selling my first car, a pristine Lada Samara SLX ;)

A bloke from Birminham/Bradford called and said he had cash waiting but couldn't get to Swindon till the following weekend. I told him to call before coming to look at it to check it was still for sale and that i'd sell it beforehand if i had a firm offer.

Saturday comes, the car is long gone by now after another chap turns up and pays cash.

I get a phonecall saying he's about to leave Birmingham/Bradford, so i tell him not to bother as it's sold and has been collected. A couple of hours later he calls me from Swindon bus station asking for directions to my house, he'd only got a taxi all the way here to come and see it.

Again i explain that it had gone days ago, he went ballistic, threatening to track me down and come to my house. He wanted me to call the bloke i'd sold it to and get it back, he was prepared to offer over the asking price if i could get it back again!

I felt a bit sorry for him but he was obviously a bit of a mentalist, he carried on ringing up from Swindon centre for the next few hours saying he had my address (which i hadn't given him) and he wanted his taxi fare reimbursed if i couldn't get the car back.

FFS it was only a £500 Lada!! Thank christ he never found my house, i was expecting him to come knocking door to door he was that keen.

Paulo P 29 April 2004 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
Years back i was selling my first car, a pristine Lada Samara SLX ;)

A bloke from Birminham/Bradford called and said he had cash waiting but couldn't get to Swindon till the following weekend. I told him to call before coming to look at it to check it was still for sale and that i'd sell it beforehand if i had a firm offer.

Saturday comes, the car is long gone by now after another chap turns up and pays cash.

I get a phonecall saying he's about to leave Birmingham/Bradford, so i tell him not to bother as it's sold and has been collected. A couple of hours later he calls me from Swindon bus station asking for directions to my house, he'd only got a taxi all the way here to come and see it.

Again i explain that it had gone days ago, he went ballistic, threatening to track me down and come to my house. He wanted me to call the bloke i'd sold it to and get it back, he was prepared to offer over the asking price if i could get it back again!

I felt a bit sorry for him but he was obviously a bit of a mentalist, he carried on ringing up from Swindon centre for the next few hours saying he had my address (which i hadn't given him) and he wanted his taxi fare reimbursed if i couldn't get the car back.

FFS it was only a £500 Lada!! Thank christ he never found my house, i was expecting him to come knocking door to door he was that keen.

Wonder if he has moved on to a 306 ;)

lol :D:D:D What a nutter :eek: I am shocked by other instances of this happening :eek: No wonder people trade in their cars and lose lots of cash

Iwan 29 April 2004 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
lol :D:D:D What a nutter :eek: I am shocked by other instances of this happening :eek: No wonder people trade in their cars and lose lots of cash

Yup, it put me off selling a car privately for ages. I sold the next one back to a garage at a big loss and scrapped the one after that!

I'm a bit braver now and don't mind risking it :)

On a related note, a mate of mine was selling a futon in the local paper once. He had a guy phone up at 3am on a sunday morning, pi$$ed out of his head, wanting to buy the futon as he was tired and needed somewhere to sleep! :D:D:D

After being told to fcuk off, the guy kept trying to ring back untill my mate unplugged the phone, he was in a phonebox somewhere after the nightclubs had chucked out. Priceless! :)

Iwan

Paulo P 29 April 2004 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
On a related note, a mate of mine was selling a futon in the local paper once. He had a guy phone up at 3am on a sunday morning, pi$$ed out of his head, wanting to buy the futon as he was tired and needed somewhere to sleep! :D:D:D

After being told to fcuk off, the guy kept trying to ring back untill my mate unplugged the phone, he was in a phonebox somewhere after the nightclubs had chucked out. Priceless! :)

Iwan

That is just so funny :D:D:D:D I p!ssed myself laughing when I read that :D:D Classic

ian_sadler 29 April 2004 05:38 PM

A bit off topic ...

Don't usualy have a prob. with Joe public .... it's fecking auto data and the like who keep phoning up trying to get you to advertise on theit sites. That realy makes me :mad:

Franx 29 April 2004 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ian_sadler
Don't usualy have a prob. with Joe public .... it's fecking auto data and the like who keep phoning up trying to get you to advertise on theit sites. That realy makes me :mad:

They just phoned me about 5 minutes ago:D

My Landy's been up on the websites for a week or so now, with next to no response, except a few wierdos from South Africa, Germany & Sweden, who I'm sure are indulging in a spot of 'laundering'.

It's in the Auto trader now though, & 3 of the Land Rover mags, so hopefully it'll go asap. Having read that, I'm selling to the first person I speak to:D - as it has the potential to drag on for ever.